Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

29 - [PLAYERCARD]Patrick Ambrose[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Retired. 11/8
Last Game Played: Elimination Final 2019 (injured)

Injury Status: Injured, stayed in Vic with a young baby - 18/7
Sore, finished the VFL game on the bench - 29/6

Last edited by a moderator:

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
I was the one who actually provided context for the same stat mentioned by donekebab by comparing it to the rest of the AFL.

Ambrose is 5th of our current defenders, only beating Irish. Hooker, Hurley, Saad and Redman are all better. Gleeson may make his way back in yet so that would make Ambrose 6th.

Ambrose is the ugly duckling that gets heralded as the underrated player amongst a section of his own supporter group.

He get's herald as the underrated player, because there is a select group of fans like you, who don't have a basic understanding of what his role actually is, and how it allows Hooker & Hurley to play their natural game.

Ambrose is 5th of our current defenders in regards to what? Literally no context provided.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
He get's herald as the underrated player, because there is a select group of fans like you, who don't have a basic understanding of what his role actually is, and how it allows Hooker & Hurley to play their natural game.

Ambrose is 5th of our current defenders in regards to what? Literally no context provided.
Please enlighten me. What is Ambrose’ role and how does it allow Hooker and Hurley to play their natural games? Explain to me why our side needs 3 tall defenders when Hooker and Hurley are All Australian defenders in sides with only 2 tall defenders - Fletcher wasn’t playing as a defender and hadn’t been for 5+ years.

5th in regards to skill and ability. A subjective opinion of mine is that Hooker, Hurley, Saad and Redman are all better than Ambrose in this regard.

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Please enlighten me. What is Ambrose’ role and how does it allow Hooker and Hurley to play their natural games? Explain to me why our side needs 3 tall defenders when Hooker and Hurley are All Australian defenders in sides with only 2 tall defenders - Fletcher wasn’t playing as a defender and hadn’t been for 5+ years.

5th in regards to skill and ability. A subjective opinion of mine is that Hooker, Hurley, Saad and Redman are all better than Ambrose in this regard.

Completely wrong.

Cale Hooker, All Australian in 2014 in a year where he played alongside Michel Hurley & Dustin Fletcher. Fletcher was taking players like Kersten, Lobb, Stringer, Membrey.

Michael Hurley, All Australian in 2015 in a year where he played alongside Cale Hooker, James Gwilt (11 games as a Key Defender, taking players like Bruce, Ben Brown, Schulz, Dawes, Patton) & Jake Carlisle for the last 6 games.

Edlt:My bad. Hooker was AA in 2014, not 2013.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Completely wrong.

Cale Hooker, All Australian in 2013 in a year where he played alongside Michel Hurley & Jake Carlisle. Carlisle alternated between the #1 and #2 key fowards.

Michael Hurley, All Australian in 2015 in a year where he played alongside Cale Hooker, James Gwilt (11 games as a Key Defender, taking players like Bruce, Ben Brown, Schulz, Dawes, Patton) & Jake Carlisle for the last 6 games.

Also completely wrong on Dustin Fletcher as well.
Hurley was forward when Hooker and Carlisle were back.

Hooker played forward when Gwilt played back.

Wrong re Fletcher? He was a loose man in defense for nearly 10 years. One of the best at it, ever, but he was no longer a defender. That’s how he lasted til he was 40.

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Hurley was forward when Hooker and Carlisle were back.

Hooker played forward when Gwilt played back.

Wrong re Fletcher? He was a loose man in defense for nearly 10 years. One of the best at it, ever, but he was no longer a defender. That’s how he lasted til he was 40.

Sorry I got the years mixed up.

2014 - Hurley & Hooker were in defence for the whole year. Fletcher played on a mix of talls and smalls. He was absolutely a defender. He had a direct opponent every game.

2015 - Hooker played 12 games in defence before we had a mix of Carlisle, Gwilt & Steinberg alongside Hurley.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Sorry I got the years mixed up.

2014 - Hurley & Hooker were in defence for the whole year. Fletcher played on a mix of talls and smalls. He was absolutely a defender. He had a direct opponent every game.

2015 - Hooker played 12 games in defence before we had a mix of Carlisle, Gwilt & Steinberg alongside Hurley.
No real biggy with the years. I won’t agree with you re Fletcher, I loved him to bits (and it was the greatest thrill and honour meeting him) but I’m not about to re-write history.

Surely we can agree Steinberg was rubbish.

Developing his intercept marking too, in that now he does it a little bit, when he used to not really offer any of that at all.

He’s moneyball Daniel Talia, just wrapped to be there and lives off belting into people

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I think Ambrose has been enormous for us in the first half of the season. Firstly he's been rock solid on his direct opponents, barely conceding any goals. Secondly his presence frees up Hurley and Hooker from having to chase opposition players up the ground as much which allows them to focus on more intercept work and rebounding. You need balance in your back 50, can't have all the players being offensively minded. No he doesn't offer a lot offensively but we also don't need him to. We have him sharing a defense with Hurley, Hooker, Saad, McKenna and Redman who are all capable users of the ball and all rebound aggressively. We probably already have one of the most offensively geared defenses in the league, most teams run with at least 2-3 blokes whose primary job is just to beat their direct opponent.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

Something that seems to be missed is that with Ambrose taking the oppositions best KPF Hurley has been regularly destroying dangerous medium sized forwards.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't know who I'm annoyed at more.

Ambrose for playing footy that is undeniably good enough to keep Francis out of the side or Francis for not building from the end of last year and failing to play footy that is good enough to command a spot in an AFL side.

I'd have to say the answer is Mark Baguley. That guy really annoys the s**t out of me.

Last edited:

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
So uh, Top 5 in the B&F to date?

Back