Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

So early in the week I heard Justin Crow comment that he wanted Ambrose to be able to kick a big torp to prove his quad was ok...it appears he tried to do so and bang he's done it again...surely the high performance team should have a better way to determine if he's ready to go? Surely a scan of the muscle etc...asking to perform an action that could re-injure it doesn't sound ideal...
Running, kicking and jumping are things that place demands on the quad and potentially injure... if the high performance team WEREN'T asking Ambrose to do these things through his rehab and testing his capacity to do so prior to return to sport, there would be serious problems.

Running, kicking and jumping are things that place demands on the quad and potentially injure... if the high performance team WEREN'T asking Ambrose to do these things through his rehab and testing his capacity to do so prior to return to sport, there would be serious problems.

The smart team doesn't rush it and manages his load to avoid re-injury. He has re-injured it obviously so questions must be asked how this occurred in a controlled training program. If they were asking him to do too much too early then there are serious problems

The smart team doesn't rush it and manages his load to avoid re-injury. He has re-injured it obviously so questions must be asked how this occurred in a controlled training program. If they were asking him to do too much too early then there are serious problems
Surely you ask questions about patterns of behaviour, rather than one-off incidences? He's the only 'potentially reinjured' player on the list this year, and one of very few who have been injured at all. If I didn't know better I'd think you just liked being outraged.

Obviously something has gone wrong here. It is an inexact science, it happens. If it was a pattern, then there would indicate problems. It's not a pattern, our list in recent times has been healthier than it's been since I remember baracking for this club.
I think Lore has hit the nail on the head.

Hurley injured his quad a training after his first game. Think he missed 4 or 5. Training injuries frustrate me no end.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using Tapatalk

Reminds me of this:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/da...h/news-story/0737fbb8e321b38c41cb9bc4e2108f00

And I think Hurley had an extended period recovering from a quad injury

I actually met Zaka during this period and he was genuinely shattered and worried about the time it was taking to heal from that article...

I remember thinking, "ohhh no!!!" He has a reacurring problem simply from his frustration and rehab setbacks...

Like Hurls, it's kind of encoraging that they seem to repair over time and mostly not plague careers...

Play it safe with him!

Hurley injured his quad a training after his first game. Think he missed 4 or 5. Training injuries frustrate me no end.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using Tapatalk
Many times though if there were no training session the player quite possibly would have had the same injury on game day.

Surely you ask questions about patterns of behaviour, rather than one-off incidences? He's the only 'potentially reinjured' player on the list this year, and one of very few who have been injured at all. If I didn't know better I'd think you just liked being outraged.

Agree with this although it may now be time to add a week or two to the expected recovery time of a quad seeing as this has happened multiple times now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For years Ambrose was never much good and yet he was always fit. This year he finally became a good player and nearly the entire year on the sidelines.

Life's just not fair sometimes.

I'm guessing he is still a couple of weeks away.
Yup. Current ETA is about round 18, but I'm guessing he'll need some VFL minutes after that lay off. Should be back training maybe this week or next week? I think the 6 weeks usually includes building up training time in the last couple of weeks.

Yup. Current ETA is about round 18, but I'm guessing he'll need some VFL minutes after that lay off. Should be back training maybe this week or next week? I think the 6 weeks usually includes building up training time in the last couple of weeks.
Ha, so '6 more weeks' has become 8, and his ETA is now Round 20.

Ha, so '6 more weeks' has become 8, and his ETA is now Round 20.

No surprises there. When he reinjured it they basically said it was a similar injury to the first time and since its a re-injury that was always likely to add a week or 2 as they try to be more cautious.

In this case they can even see on the scan it hasn't fully healed yet, plus he's now missed a lot of footy and while he's always fit, his conditioning would have taken a hit.

I'd think we might only see him for a game or 2 at AFL level (after maybe 2 VFL games) before the end of the year.

Bumped into Ambrose while he was completing some 1 on 1 drills in the car park of the 1000 steps walk in ferntree gully this morning. He's still a little way off a return I'd say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back