Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly ... MY BOY!

Secondly, I think the best set up is Ambrose lock down on best forward and Hartley taking who ever is tallest, which is often just a pinch hit, resting ruck or some foil for the main guy. Having Hurely as a genuine 3rd tall would be a huge weapon. I'd prefer if we pushed Kelly into the midfield to play a role similar to what Bartel played at Geelong where he would play at the stoppages but sit a kick behind play when it was moving. I love the attack that McGrath and McKenna bring, and they can both beat a man defensively, McGrath more so. That leaves the last position to be between Baguely and Gleeson. Having Gleeson's marking intercept skills being liberated a little more, along with Hurely's also, would give a real attacking edge to our backline.

Having said that, if Ambrose is 100% fit and ready and rearing to go, he still has to play at least one game in the VFL. The team could give Gleeson and Baguely a few different roles in this week's game to test that out. It could also rotate Kelly and McGrath through the middle a bit.

It would be Ambrose or Hartley.

Mark Harvey is a big fan of Baguley so can't imagine he would swap Ambrose for Baguley. Ambrose isn't proven on the best smalls either so can't see why we would risk that in the lead up to finals.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think all of Hurley, Ambrose & Hartley can play in the same team with Gleeson, Baguley, Kelly, McKenna & McGrath with 3 of those smalls able to rotate through the wings &/or midfield.
All depends on matchups and injuries of ofcourse. Most guys will get another week rest in the last few weeks of the regular season aswell.

I'd love to see Gleeson, Hurley, Ambrose, Hartley, Kelly and Baguley as backs, move McGrath and McKenna to the wing and move Colyer out of the team.

I'd love to see Gleeson, Hurley, Ambrose, Hartley, Kelly and Baguley as backs, move McGrath and McKenna to the wing and move Colyer out of the team.
I think that might be the long term ambition but for the next few years at least that would leave us a bit slow in defense and we'd lose a lot of our drive.

I don't mind moving Colyer out of the side but I'm not sure afford to move both of McKenna and McGrath to the wing.

If Gleeson can effectively play on smalls and Hartley improves his offensive production then I see the back 7 as:

FB: Hartley - Ambrose - Kelly
HB: McKenna - Hurley - Gleeson IC: McGrath

With McGrath/Kelly as the ones who rotate through wing/midfield.

It probably works out OK because there is hardly a big need for a 3rd KP against Bulldogs. We can afford to give Ambrose more time to find some form before bringing him in.
No major need for one against Carlton either. Bring him back for the Adelaide game to play on one of their talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sooner the better I think.

Would prefer him getting up to the level against teams we should be expected to beat so that he is ready to go if we make finals. If physically he needs only one or two more then bring him in. He's a competitor so I'm sure he will adjust to the pace fast enough.

No major need for one against Carlton either. Bring him back for the Adelaide game to play on one of their talls.
Carlton will probably go tall with Curnow, Casboult, McKay and Silvagni so I think bringing him in for that game might be the right call.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-07-25/injury-update-july-25

"Patrick Ambrose returned in the VFL last Saturday after nearly three months out with a quad injury.

The Bombers defender picked up 16 possessions and has recovered well.

“Pat played the full game without any issues,” Crow said.

“He pulled really well.

“He got hit in the nose early in the game which was a good re-introduction to football, but we expect Pat to train well this week and be available for selection.”

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-07-25/injury-update-july-25

"Patrick Ambrose returned in the VFL last Saturday after nearly three months out with a quad injury.

The Bombers defender picked up 16 possessions and has recovered well.

“Pat played the full game without any issues,” Crow said.

“He pulled really well.

“He got hit in the nose early in the game which was a good re-introduction to football, but we expect Pat to train well this week and be available for selection.”
Available for selection is good. Probably a bit more VFL time to find form though..

I would bring him straight in. For me Hartley can't be trusted and I would prefer they do the swap now rather than in a couple of weeks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I will laugh when they play both Hartley and Ambrose with Hurley. Especially if they drop your love child Baguley for Ambrose

Remove this Banner Ad

Back