Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

It should be Ambrose vs Ridley competing for a spot during the JLT/intra club matches. May the best man win.

Why? They are two completely different players.

Why? They are two completely different players.

Because with Hurley/Francis/Hooker/Saad/McKenna we don't really have any huge pressing needs structurally so its really who can complement the existing 5 back there. Do we want Ambrose's ability to lockdown and run all day, or more of an intercept and rebound player. If it wasn't for Francis/Hurley being strong at rebounding for KP's I think we would want a rebounding type more in the Gleeson mould and it would put Ridley ahead.

So I don't disagree that they are very different players - I just think they both can fit the remaining spot because of the versatility of our other options.

Because with Hurley/Francis/Hooker/Saad/McKenna we don't really have any huge pressing needs structurally so its really who can complement the existing 5 back there. Do we want Ambrose's ability to lockdown and run all day, or more of an intercept and rebound player. If it wasn't for Francis/Hurley being strong at rebounding for KP's I think we would want a rebounding type more in the Gleeson mould and it would put Ridley ahead.

So I don't disagree that they are very different players - I just think they both can fit the remaining spot because of the versatility of our other options.

While I agree that those 5 listed defenders do allow us a little bit more freedom with the 6th player, I don't necessarily think it comes down to the JLT form of Ambrose & Ridley. In an ideal world you'd have Ridley pushing up onto the wing as a 2 way player who is able to run back and actually defend as well. (a wingman who can actually defend? never!), but he is gotta become that player in the VFL first. I also wouldn't be surprised if we go with someone who can play midfield as well in that 6th spot (Redman would've been perfect).

God he's hot and he's all mine. Thanks for the post Liberator. I do notice it is the two middle fingers, which is always the best technique. The pinky and pointer are able to work other magic. Check out the moustache. Thinking I should grow mine back. We could relive early 80s San Fransico.

After selecting him in the "my boy draft", am I required to introduce myself to him? He might appreciate me bringing the paper to him in the morning.

Here ya go fishardansin ...
Paddy showing excellent finger technique on Fantasia. Looking in decent nick. View attachment 615596View attachment 615597

raww ... There was an article in my google feed talking about how fierce Charlie Curnow is ... but above ... that is fierce.

God he's hot and he's all mine. Thanks for the post Liberator. I do notice it is the two middle fingers, which is always the best technique. The pinky and pointer are able to work other magic. Check out the moustache. Thinking I should grow mine back. We could relive early 80s San Fransico.

After selecting him in the "my boy draft", am I required to introduce myself to him? He might appreciate me bringing the paper to him in the morning.

raww ... There was an article in my google feed talking about how fierce Charlie Curnow is ... but above ... that is fierce.

Cue Blue Oyster Bar music...
Would be a good option to anal annul Curnow and that type, has the wheels and athleticism.

No-one really, I think. There as backup.
Might be named to match up certain uber-mobile or athletic opponents. Might also come into the mix if Hooker or Hurley (or Francis- please God no) gets injured or drafted forward. Can play smaller too, in a shut-down role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest, fitness levels aside, he's the one I have been sitting back thinking 'Where does he fit into this team?'

Who is he going to be challenging/replacing down back?

Someone please enlighten me. BrunoV Thoughts?

I dont know about enlightening you but I'll have a go anyway.

In the ideal world I can't see him playing as it's not the best use of available players.

Hurley plays his best footy on an opponent, definitely not in the third tall role. I doubt that Hurley as third tall is better than Francis even if Francis has only played 10 games.

Hooker does his best work zoning off the big key forwards.

You'd have to think that the third tall role is Francis' to lose. His competition would be Gleeson and Ridley with Hurley being there if we play Ambrose.

We usually play 4 tall defenders or defenders who can play tall.

It seems to me that to include Ambrose fairly significantly limits the versatility of that group in favour of the extra stopping option in the event that Hurley is struggling.

I also reckon that a back 7 built on Hooker, Hurley, Francis and Ambrose is too clunky at ground level. I'd much rather Ridley or Gleeson in place of Ambrose.

Having said that, history suggests we'll try to fit Ambrose in.

I dont know about enlightening you but I'll have a go anyway.

In the ideal world I can't see him playing as it's not the best use of available players.

Hurley plays his best footy on an opponent, definitely not in the third tall role. I doubt that Hurley as third tall is better than Francis even if Francis has only played 10 games.

Hooker does his best work zoning off the big key forwards.

You'd have to think that the third tall role is Francis' to lose. His competition would be Gleeson and Ridley with Hurley being there if we play Ambrose.

We usually play 4 tall defenders or defenders who can play tall.

It seems to me that to include Ambrose fairly significantly limits the versatility of that group in favour of the extra stopping option in the event that Hurley is struggling.

I also reckon that a back 7 built on Hooker, Hurley, Francis and Ambrose is too clunky at ground level. I'd much rather Ridley or Gleeson in place of Ambrose.

Having said that, history suggests we'll try to fit Ambrose in.

I think the above is why quite a few people like the idea of Ambrose also being able to tag through the midfield; he's got the size and tank to play on a Josh P Kennedy type, but probably doesn't have enough ball-winning ability to really hurt teams as a tagger.

Where does Ambrose fit in a defence with:

Saad - Hooker - McKenna
Francis - Hurley - ?

That final spot(s) has guys like Gleeson, Ridley, Redman and Ambrose all as potential; McNiece and Long as outside chances.

Ambrose is probably the most physically capable of that first group, but with the least upside given age / exposed AFL form.

Ridley & Redman both look capable as playing up-field as a winger / flanker, whilst Gleeson is a nice mid-sized athletic defender that can intercept nicely, and should work well alongside a Hooker - Hurley - Francis group of talls.

I think the above is why quite a few people like the idea of Ambrose also being able to tag through the midfield; he's got the size and tank to play on a Josh P Kennedy type, but probably doesn't have enough ball-winning ability to really hurt teams as a tagger.

Where does Ambrose fit in a defence with:

Saad - Hooker - McKenna
Francis - Hurley - ?

That final spot(s) has guys like Gleeson, Ridley, Redman and Ambrose all as potential; McNiece and Long as outside chances.

Ambrose is probably the most physically capable of that first group, but with the least upside given age / exposed AFL form.

Ridley & Redman both look capable as playing up-field as a winger / flanker, whilst Gleeson is a nice mid-sized athletic defender that can intercept nicely, and should work well alongside a Hooker - Hurley - Francis group of talls.

There are plenty of KPDs who are elite runners. It's not a reason to even be in the midfield discussion.

Um, mods ... can I have power to thread ban people?

Firstly, where doesn't he fit in? Clearly fits easily into Fantasia!! Having said that. I am adamant that he should be a run with player used all over the ground. He goes with Martin, Dangerfield, Kennedy, Crips, ect ect ect. He has the tank to not be run off his feet. He has the strength to bully them around the ball. He has the ability to follow them into the forward line. What can be a weakness of ours is nullified.

With Francis stepping up and Hurley playing as a lockdown then he's clear depth in the backline. I think the set up of Francis 3rd tall, Hooker zoning off the big guy and Hurley locking down is the best set up. In that case, Ambrose can play as a 2nd lockdown on a variety of sizes but we then have Saad and McKenna doing all the little man duties back there.

This does not make him "best 22" prior to round 1. However, there will be plenty of games for him to fill in. His midfield defensiveness may become a part of the "best 22" by seasons end. Depends if run-with mids are back in vogue. Depends if we feel like we need more size around the ball.

I will happily become 100% VFL supporter (I love my man) if Essendon goes with him as just back up to Hurley and Hartley back up to Hooker. I think Essendon could also go with Ambrose as a backup for Francis too, taking Hurley's role and Hurley going 3rd tall.

I won't be surprised if he's 4th tall though and running with some big mids. I think it would be a good use of him.

There are plenty of KPDs who are elite runners. It's not a reason to even be in the midfield discussion.

As in; the lack of flexibility he offers compared to a Gleeson, Ridley or Redman who (appear) to have much more upside in roles they can play.

In reality, given injuries and such, Ambrose is likely to play many games if fit, but is he a best-22 defender with all players fit and available?

Isn't in my best side due to Hurley moving to FB and Francis playing as the 3rd tall which is disappointing as think given an injury free run he would be a very good AFL player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back