Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Ambrose played a really good game. Ultimately Francis will take his spot whether that be next week or a bit longer but at worst Ambrose is bloody good key position depth and he's really in his element when he can play on blokes that focus more on the lead rather than contested marking. I've always been a fan and I think his disposal is not nearly as bad as some on here are making out. Not like Guelfi who just about didn't hit a target wearing our colours for weeks.

Still think there is room for Ambrose in the team with Francis. Ambrose should take the running forward. Gunston, Darling or even our Brown. Hurely to play at full back, Hooker CHB-interceptor, Francis to take the resting mid or 4th forward and then there is the two running machines. Ridley and Redman make good wingmen, who push back to help out the defence and get involved in the linking play.

Still think there is room for Ambrose in the team with Francis. Ambrose should take the running forward. Gunston, Darling or even our Brown. Hurely to play at full back, Hooker CHB-interceptor, Francis to take the resting mid or 4th forward and then there is the two running machines. Ridley and Redman make good wingmen, who push back to help out the defence and get involved in the linking play.
Don't forget Ambrose could also play as a big bodied tagger.

We have a gun recruit who butchers the ball more than Ambrose has.

Great game and is exactly why he is in the team. Blankets his opposition.

We can rely on others for their rebound. There was a time when we didn't want Hooker with the ball in his hands too after he made some horrendous errors worse that Pat has. We also have McKenna that is usually good for one goal from kicking to the opposition ever two weeks.

People focus too much on the odd skill error.

You cannot play Ambrose, Hurley, Hooker and Francis in the same backline.

He continues to give bloody good service for someone we essentially plucked out of the VAFA though, credit where credit is due

Last edited:
For it to be a sling tackle he would have had to sling him into the ground. He didn't. He was under him. There was nothing wrong with the tackle. You need to watch it again.
I reckon by definition the tackle was probably a dangerous tackle. Something about lifting a player's legs above horizontal or something IIRC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For it to be a sling tackle he would have had to sling him into the ground. He didn't. He was under him. There was nothing wrong with the tackle. You need to watch it again.
He pulled out last minute, but he definitely lifted McGrath and went to sling him. I reckon Ambrose responded instinctively. And i dont mind that. Hipwood was lucky.

There was nothing in that tackle. Ambrose is lucky he didn't give away a goal.
Didn't look that way from the boundary 20 meters away

he wasn't under him when he hit the ground

I reckon by definition the tackle was probably a dangerous tackle. Something about lifting a player's legs above horizontal or something IIRC.

There was the lifting motion but he then didn't sling him or drive him. Just lifted him and looked a little heavier because he fell from further.

I didn't have too much problem with it, Im happy that there was a bit of protection by Ambrose to show that care for a team mate, but im happy a free kick wasn't paid for the tackle.

There was the lifting motion but he then didn't sling him or drive him. Just lifted him and looked a little heavier because he fell from further.

I didn't have too much problem with it, Im happy that there was a bit of protection by Ambrose to show that care for a team mate, but im happy a free kick wasn't paid for the tackle.
I can't find the actual rule, but from what I understand, if the player is lifted above horizontal then it's meant to be a free kick for a dangerous tackle regardless of any sling or driving motion.

I can't find the actual rule, but from what I understand, if the player is lifted above horizontal then it's meant to be a free kick for a dangerous tackle regardless of any sling or driving motion.
It’s okay, the umpires seem to be having trouble finding them this year too. Any chance you can get a call up?

You cannot play Ambrose, Hurley, Hooker and Francis in the same backline.

He continues to give bloody good service for someone we essentially plucked out of the VAFA though, credit where credit is due

I actually think you can. Francis is capable of taking De Goey/Caddy/Dangerfield ect ect. Ambrose takes the fullforward and wears him like a glove. This allows Hurley and Hooker to get off their men and dominate the air. It also means that Francis kills his man in the air. Saad has shown an amazing ability to spoil from the most awkward positions.

If Redman and Ridley are playing on the wings and McGrath is in the midfield, we have a lot of flexibility. Either one of them can go back and play a small/medium role. Francis and/or Hooker can be sent forward.

The only mobility issues I have with that backline is that Hooker is not the quickest and Francis does not have a big engine.

I actually think you can. Francis is capable of taking De Goey/Caddy/Dangerfield ect ect. Ambrose takes the fullforward and wears him like a glove. This allows Hurley and Hooker to get off their men and dominate the air. It also means that Francis kills his man in the air. Saad has shown an amazing ability to spoil from the most awkward positions.
I don’t think Francis is and it’s not in the air that you need to beat them. Ambrose is perfect for those three. Hooker and Hurley then get the taller forwards.. Lynch/Riewoldt, Cox/Mihocek, Hawkins/Ratagoulea

Remove this Banner Ad

Back