Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

29 - [PLAYERCARD]Patrick Ambrose[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Retired. 11/8
Last Game Played: Elimination Final 2019 (injured)

Injury Status: Injured, stayed in Vic with a young baby - 18/7
Sore, finished the VFL game on the bench - 29/6

Last edited by a moderator:

Despair

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2013
Königsbrunn, Germany
AFL Club
Essendon
Turns it over once or twice and doesn't play any part in moving it forward the rest of the time. We are pretty much a 17 man side with the ball in hand when he is out there. If he isn't taking the best oppo key forward out of the game he shouldn't be picked.

We are pretty much a 19 man side with the ball not in hand.

Defensive BEAST.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Ambrose allows Hurley and Hooker more freedom depending on the match up. His marking this season been excellent and he’s shut down good players. Plus he does at times run off his opponent when we have the ball down back.
Hurley and Hooker are defenders. They shouldn’t be playing loose or with freedom in my opinion. We play too tall in defense. Most forward lines have 2 talls and we’ve got 3 tall defenders.

Hurley and Hooker are defenders. They shouldn’t be playing loose or with freedom in my opinion. We play too tall in defense. Most forward lines have 2 talls and we’ve got 3 tall defenders.

Eagles defence in last year’s grand final had three blokes over 194cm.

Ambrose and Hurley can also play on bigger mid types like De Goey, Caddy etc. Our defence has been excellent since Hooker came back in.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Eagles defence in last year’s grand final had three blokes over 194cm.

Ambrose and Hurley can also play on bigger mid types like De Goey, Caddy etc. Our defence has been excellent since Hooker came back in.
I did say most forward lines.

I completely disagree about how our Defense has performed. Essendon’s biggest problems after kicking inside 50 and not running both directions has been their defensive 50 and the opposition finding so much space. With the exception of Cameron and Keefe in round 1 I don’t recall there being multiple goals kicked by 2 players from the same opposition above 190cm.

In fact, I’m not sure we’ve played against any side with 3 forwards above 190cm this year (all playing in the forward line at the same time)?!?

So this bloke has only lost two our of a possible 27 one on one contests this season, while taking the #1 forward most weeks and often giving away size and/or weight. What an absolute beast!

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
So this bloke has only lost two our of a possible 27 one on one contests this season, while taking the #1 forward most weeks and often giving away size and/or weight. What an absolute beast!
He only had 2.5 one-on-ones per game in 2019? What else does he do for the 87% of match time he plays?

Edit: He’s ranked 53rd (averages) in the AFL for defensive one-on-ones contests.

Last edited:

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
He only had 2.5 one-on-ones per game in 2019? What else does he do for the 87% of match time he plays?

Edit: He’s ranked 53rd (averages) in the AFL for defensive one-on-ones contests.

Ah we got another one.

You think he is only involved in the game when he is in a one on one contest?

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Ambrose is one of those guys that is really good at holding his man out of the contest (legally) whilst Hurley or Hooker or Redman intercept.

Exactly.

The fact that he has had so few one on ones shows this.

Staggering that anyone would even bother to look at Ambrose's stats in the context of being best 22.

Last edited:
You guys pick and choose when you use stats.
Which is pretty much the way they should be used.
You showed a distinct lack of understanding of the stats you were using. Which is why I answered flippantly, I didn't think you were serious.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
It’s not really so few one on ones when Tom Stewart has had 11 and is the heralded as the premier defender in the competition by the media. But it goes to show that the best defences don’t leave their defenders exposed that often.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Which is pretty much the way they should be used.
You showed a distinct lack of understanding of the stats you were using. Which is why I answered flippantly, I didn't think you were serious.
Donekebab used the same stat only I compared Ambrose to the rest of the AFL. You mentioned “smash packs” and I provided his rank of spoils. If you don’t like the stats provided then to you his effect on the game is subjective. We’ll therefore have to agree to disagree.

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Donekebab used the same stat only I compared Ambrose to the rest of the AFL. You mentioned “smash packs” and I provided his rank of spoils. If you don’t like the stats provided then to you his effect on the game is subjective. We’ll therefore have to agree to disagree.

I like how you choose the stats that best fit your argument but you choose to leave out that he is 15th in the comp for one percenters.

You guys pick and choose when you use stats.

thats what you're supposed to do with stats lmao

they're completely useless without context, and completely useless in the wrong context

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
thats what you're supposed to do with stats lmao

they're completely useless without context, and completely useless in the wrong context
I was the one who actually provided context for the same stat mentioned by donekebab by comparing it to the rest of the AFL.

Ambrose is 5th of our current defenders, only beating Irish. Hooker, Hurley, Saad and Redman are all better. Gleeson may make his way back in yet so that would make Ambrose 6th.

Ambrose is the ugly duckling that gets heralded as the underrated player amongst a section of his own supporter group.

I was the one who actually provided context for the same stat mentioned by donekebab by comparing it to the rest of the AFL.

Ambrose is 5th of our current defenders, only beating Irish. Hooker, Hurley, Saad and Redman are all better. Gleeson may make his way back in yet so that would make Ambrose 6th.

Ambrose is the ugly duckling that gets heralded as the underrated player amongst a section of his own supporter group.
Hi. Think you missed this.
I like how you choose the stats that best fit your argument but you choose to leave out that he is 15th in the comp for one percenters.

Wait, so it's bad that Ambrose and our other defenders don't allow him to get isolated and lose one on one contests?

The bye week can't end soon enough.

Back