Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't the best call to have him sub. As Hird05 said, might have been ok if only for a short period.

It is the risk you take, last week we didn't use the sub, just luck.

Won't write him off just yet. Playing your first game back (like forever) against a pumped up Richmond is tough.

In the end, the Hawks match might have been better for him to come in.

Game plan revolves around attacking back 6 who can use the footy well enough when they have it.
Ambrose is playing forward because he is poor with ball in hand and we are not looking at lock down defense.
I have no issues with playing him as there where not a lot of players left . He will not be in the long term plans.

Too sore to finish the game apparently. 🤔
Patrick Ambrose
Stats: 13 disposals, three marks, five tackles

“Patty didn't really finish the game. He was a little bit sore, so that was disappointing, but then again he just competes really hard and that's what we love about Patty. He’s a real competitor.”

Somewhere in an alternate universe where Patty doesn’t get injured he’s an All-Australian defender.
I wouldn't go that far. They don't like pure shut down players in the AA side.

Great servant, thanks Paddy

I wouldn't go that far. They don't like pure shut down players in the AA side.

Great servant, thanks Paddy
Daniel Talia has a couple AAs. In 2019 Patty was the #1 one on one defender in the comp before getting injured again and I vividly remember he was in the conversation.

If you told me a year ago that we would be missing Ambrose, Hurley and Hooker from our backline for whole season I would’ve said we’d finish last. A credit to Rutten and coaching staff for what they’ve done since with the defence.

All the best to Paddy.

God bless his soul. His last full game was actually a really good one, with the perfect balance between attack & defence. 17 disposals at 94%, 10 marks, including 6 intercept marks, & 8 rebound 50's in an elimination final.

vxQYPPt.gif

Goodnight sweet prince.

Not surprised if the guy couldn't run out a match anymore.

Well done to Paddy, coming up from the vfl to the main list is a good achievement, not a lot of guy's get to do that.

Writing was on the wall with this so all the best Patty. Thought he was our best one on one defender when he actually could get on the park last 3-4 years. Super competitive & great closing speed in the Rance mould.

Did super well to transform himself from a questionable forward to a very reliable defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When his body allowed it, he was arguably our best one-on-one defender who did his job each week. His endurance was sensational and also allowed him the versatility to run with midfielders in a tagging role, and he could pinch hit forward on the rare occasion.

Courageous, reliable, versatile and did anything the club needed him to do. Best wishes in retirement to you and your family, Patty.

The epitomy of a "Clubman". Super professional, always presented in good shape & extremely fit. Tough hard and uncompromising.
I know who'd I want having my back running out on the field.

All the best big fella 🔴⚫

Paddy ******* Ambrose…..you can retire knowing that you live forever in Essendon folklore thanks to your total
emasculation of Brad Hill.

A physical specimen who gave everything, never shirked and got everything out of himself.Guarantee he has huge respect internally. Thanks Paddy and best of luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back