Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

29 - [PLAYERCARD]Patrick Ambrose[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Retired. 11/8
Last Game Played: Elimination Final 2019 (injured)

Injury Status: Injured, stayed in Vic with a young baby - 18/7
Sore, finished the VFL game on the bench - 29/6

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to have the options
Unlike others I don't think he was great on Fyfe. He was good, no doubt about that, but Fyfe was really the only one that kept them in the game IMO. I think we need him on Mihocek because I'm not sold on Francis going to JDG

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Thought he did well on Fyfe, pretty unlikely anyone can stop Fyfe getting the ball completely but Ambrose limited the damage done by him. 195m gained from 26 disposals compared to 500+ from both Shiel and Merrett.

Due to Fyfe’s size and marking ability Ambrose was a good option as he could go with him when he went forward. Fyfe is also not overly explosive so a big endurance athlete could stay with him, not sure the same would work on a Dangerfield or Martin who can explode off half a dozen steps in to space.

For comparison; someone like Cunnington is probably not a good match for Ambrose.

Having Stringer play offensively meant Ambrose could either turn and run back as a forward target if we won the clearance or keep going straight to Fyfe if it was a 50:50.

JayDon

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2013
Home
AFL Club
Essendon
Ambrose to JDG for me.
I'd love him to slow JDG down, but it's probably more beneficial to slow Pendles and support our backs with less entries?
Agree with GreatBarry. Maybe save that for following week. Yeah nah do it this week. Create doubt in them!

Won’t Hurley go to JDG? He did a fantastic job on ANZAC day
The way I see it:

Ambrose tagging means Hurley to Mihocek and Francis to JDG
Ambrose in defence goes to Mihocek and Hurley to JDG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Sometimes even having that fear of knowing every time you get the ball your gonna get hit is enough to have that impact on the possession. Fyfe knew every time he got it Ambrose was coming for him.
The hit when he tried to kick from the boundary was about the last you saw of him. Ambrose certainly knows how to rattle them.
I did also notice that wherever Paddy was, B.Hill wasn't. memories.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Brah, I've been steering the ship for 4 years now.

Also,

vxQYPPt.gif

Thanks so much for the gif. I have always appreciated his limitations as a footballer. But he is the finest human specimen to play the game. Also a great young man who gets the most out of himself. He makes me want to sing this song:

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
My favourite part about that gif is when Bomber gives it context post-game. He said they were about 2mins from making their sub (back when it was a thing) and they were going to take off Ambrose - then he went and kicked that goal (hence the celebration). Ended up kicking 3 from memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back