Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

29 - [PLAYERCARD]Patrick Ambrose[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Retired. 11/8
Last Game Played: Elimination Final 2019 (injured)

Injury Status: Injured, stayed in Vic with a young baby - 18/7
Sore, finished the VFL game on the bench - 29/6

Last edited by a moderator:

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He's about 2 inches taller than Crameri, not sure why he's been listen at 191 because he's absolutely massive. Closer to 194 I'd say. Huge tank, very very strong, not the best foot skills but he's definitely an athlete and has a lot of potential. Also very aggressive, probably couldn't ask for more in terms of attitude and mentality or aerobic base for a big man.

I don't think Crameri was ever 191 by the way. I reckon that each of Myers, Watson and Goddard were all taller than Crameri (and that they're closer to 6'3 even if they are a bit taller).

I've been quoted on Essendon's facebook page. I've made it, ma!

Also, I'm going to update the OP with his height. Scrounged up some photos, and I'm gonna agree with BTG and JP. 195 territory.

I don't think Crameri was ever 191 by the way. I reckon that each of Myers, Watson and Goddard were all taller than Crameri (and that they're closer to 6'3 even if they are a bit taller).

Paddy's taller than me. I'm 6'4".

Oh Tayteridge

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

Yeah. Jobe's huge, Myers and Goddard are just below that, Ambrose is above it, and Crameri's fuggen s**t and can go * himself regardless.

I've been quoted on Essendon's facebook page. I've made it, ma!

Also, I'm going to update the OP with his height. Scrounged up some photos, and I'm gonna agree with BTG and JP. 195 territory.

I saw that! Becoming a reputable source across all social media.

I saw that! Becoming a reputable source across all social media.

Time to start a vague Twitter account.

Sit confident.
Be tight.

bombermick

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2009
Vermont South
AFL Club
Essendon
Don't really know what to think with this one.

My head says that if he had the upside I want to imagine he has, then he would have been picked up by now, so i guess expectations aren't too high.

Makes it even better when he bursts onto the scene and becomes a regular at CHF.
What were the expectations on Crameri when he was drafted? Odds say he does little, but perfect rookie list use it seems.

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
What were the expectations on Crameri when he was drafted? Odds say he does little, but perfect rookie list use it seems.

Weren't too high with Crameri, but he is the exception rather than the norm. I would love him to develop in a similar way though.

Beauty of the rookie list isn't it. Hopefully we get some excitement out of him in the not so distant future.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

The landscape has changed considerably. In many respects Crameri was part of it and he's shown that second tier comp players are capable of playing quality AFL footy as goal kickers (which had hardly happened before).

This latest phase of drafting, of mature aged players in particular, is really just showing that the talent pool was too shallow because the clubs were too narrow minded. It is not to say that every rookie will make it, even if they've been recruited by us, but the success rate with rookie selections seems to mirror that of players taken in the national draft. There are a few likely reasons for it: clubs wont touch matured aged players early in drafts; clubs keep tabs on different guys who they know more about and who the competition won't have the same information on; the mature aged players tend to have the body and mentality to succeed.

Where as once upon a time the rookie lists were basically the dregs left over from the national draft, it now almost stands alone with its own talent pool.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Wasn't Crameri listed ast 186cm in some, but others had him listed at 191 - 192.

Would have been about 186cm and people wanted him to play KPF :mad:

Anyways, Patty Ambrose. Ben pretty much summed him up. Midfield athlete in a KP body. Never really played KP for the VFL Bombers apart from one game where we were cruelled by injuries in the seniors.

Strong hands in the marking contest, and is a decent kick. Went missing in some games but that was to be expected in losses where our forwards were getting no ball.

MAY be able to play some midfield minutes (Adam Goodes/Pavlich style) where we need that midfield beast for 5 minutes, but will predominantly play that Crameri role.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
I think this kid will do better then Cramdog. It's a gut feeling but I'm on the bandwagon of a nobody with no evidence for the first time since I saw Kouta pick up the ball one handed in a reserves match against us.

Bad skills means he plays forward where his turnovers won't murder us!!

However, if he's that bustling big man who can smash in, like Jack Darling, then we have a tall marking freak in Daniher and a resting ruck. Say hello to AA backline with Hurley and Carlisle making a mockery of all AFL forward lines.

I trust the coaches we have to turn him in a premiership player. He has all the tool and wants it. Now that footy will be full time he'll get the skills and game sense required.

Back