Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Centre Half Back in the team of the week.

PATRICK AMBROSE (Essendon) – Helped keep Suns star Tom Lynch to three marks and two goals, while picking up 17 touches at 94 per cent efficiency, and having nine one-percenters.
Amazing. Great to have him in the team.
One of my favourite players actually.

Last edited:
How far has he come? Unbelievable.

Genuinely happy for Paddy, I was very wrong about him but I don't think any of us saw this turn around coming.
Never doubted his commitment, but at the same time never thought he'd be playing this well.

If Hurls does go and Paddy does keep improving he'll a good replacement for the bull like defender we'll be losing.

Never doubted his commitment, but at the same time never thought he'd be playing this well.

If Hurls does go and Paddy does keep improving he'll a good replacement for the bull like defender we'll be losing.

His commitment is something that nobody could question, but commitment doesn't mean you'll be any good. It gives you a chance to be better, but if you're never going to be much chop, you'll still be not much chop.

He now has me thinking he's AFL standard, something I never thought I'd say until about 6 or so weeks ago.

He'll be a good replacement for the lockdown side that Hurley provides, but we will lose so much more offensive rebound and intercept marking that Ambrose won't be able to provide.

But I can't quite articulate how much I love this guy, it's actually quite pathetic for a grown man.

Centre Half Back in the team of the week.

PATRICK AMBROSE (Essendon) – Helped keep Suns star Tom Lynch to three marks and two goals, while picking up 17 touches at 94 per cent efficiency, and having nine one-percenters.
thats an awesome set of stats.
Building a strong backline again

It's hard not to love the guy. Despite his limitations he always seems to give 100% each week and do what the coaches ask of him, never heard him carrying on about being played out of position in the ruck. He is also a physical specimen and is not affraid to lay some huge tackles and bumps. I've really enjoyed his agression on the field and hopefully It makes the opposition players look over their shoulder when they have the ball with Paddy lurking around. In his media interviews he just sounds like a totally laid back bloke who goes about his business with minimal fuss. Onya Paddy!!

He'll be a good replacement for the lockdown side that Hurley provides, but we will lose so much more offensive rebound and intercept marking that Ambrose won't be able to provide.

But what if Hurley stays? Imagine if we have both?

c7NJRa2.gif

It'll be interesting to see how he goes on Nick Riewoldt next year. Having a big defender with his tank is pretty handy

Played on N.Riewoldt for most of the last clash and comparatively did a good job - N.Riewoldt has had an AA year.

Like him to tag Bontempelli this week - Bulldogs don't have a tall forward line and Bontempelli spends time forward - A good chance to try something different this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it's only Liam Jones, but he completely nullified him to the point that I legitimately didn't even know Liam Jones was playing until he took a mark in the last quarter much to the delight of Carlton supporters. Thought he was really good on the counter attack as well.

I know it's only Liam Jones, but he completely nullified him to the point that I legitimately didn't even know Liam Jones was playing until he took a mark in the last quarter much to the delight of Carlton supporters. Thought he was really good on the counter attack as well.
Agree completely. Definitely earned himself a spot on the list next year and may release Hurley to that 3rd tall spot to provide extra rebound.

What makes me even happier though is LJizz still has another year on the Carlton list.

Agree completely. Definitely earned himself a spot on the list next year and may release Hurley to that 3rd tall spot to provide extra rebound.

What makes me even happier though is LJizz still has another year on the Carlton list.

yeah i've been amazed by his progression
he is still very slow getting boot to ball, but love his effort, spoils, and he just loves body contact and crunching guys
is he any worse than Dean Wallis? 2 time premiership player

Whoever signed Jones up needs to have their head read. They should paybout his contract and delist him.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

yeah i've been amazed by his progression
he is still very slow getting boot to ball, but love his effort, spoils, and he just loves body contact and crunching guys
is he any worse than Dean Wallis? 2 time premiership player
Probably not and he definitely hasn't been run down by Fraser Brown, ok I'll never mention that again. Patrick would have better excel skills too at a guess.

The key for mine is he understands himself as a player and the limitations he has. This is a key trait for defenders. Once Hooker worked out he couldn't kick like Goddard he became a far better player. Baguely did the same. Rance too. Although Paddy did have one sublime 45 degree switch against Carlton which made me hnggggg

He delivered a magnificent pass into the forward 50 on the burst Saturday.

Why is it that we can have games like this where even the most unlikely players are hitting up targets and players are finding teammates in heavy traffic, yet on other days everyone seems to kick at feet or so that the leading player has to prop or turn back? There was none of that against the Scum. It's obviously contagious.

Probably not and he definitely hasn't been run down by Fraser Brown, ok I'll never mention that again. Patrick would have better excel skills too at a guess.

The key for mine is he understands himself as a player and the limitations he has. This is a key trait for defenders. Once Hooker worked out he couldn't kick like Goddard he became a far better player. Baguely did the same. Rance too. Although Paddy did have one sublime 45 degree switch against Carlton which made me hnggggg

Am glad someone made a point of this.

Next year especially, Ambrose doesn't have to be an elite disposal.

Do your job defensively, and either hands off to Hurley/Tippa/McKenna/whoever, or go the short option by foot. I think he's already learnt this somewhat.

As you mentioned, Bags used to be a shocker for it - but he too has learnt you can't always go the risky option in the back line.

Why is it that we can have games like this where even the most unlikely players are hitting up targets and players are finding teammates in heavy traffic, yet on other days everyone seems to kick at feet or so that the leading player has to prop or turn back? There was none of that against the Scum. It's obviously contagious.

I think it happens because some oppositions are better at pressuring the ball carrier than others. Playing Carlton we look like time stands still as players hit up a target but against Hawthorn etc we'd look rushed and our kicking would be shite

Simon White will be a free agent next year :D

Brose is actually pretty decent by hand, with the deft give-offs, and surprisingly or increasingly good by foot...
Watching the replay there where a few times I had to rewind to see who made the long switch kick or who had just been involved in a handball chain (s**t commentators) and it was him...

I think it happens because some oppositions are better at pressuring the ball carrier than others. Playing Carlton we look like time stands still as players hit up a target but against Hawthorn etc we'd look rushed and our kicking would be shite
I agree that's certainly a factor. But let's face it we've been absolutely useless at hitting up forwards when there's zero pressure as well now for a very long time. Then there are days where, for some reason everyone is in sync and nobody misses a target. I remember only once or twice early being fully annoyed by a missed target. Thereafter we were kicking missiles between a sea of defenders to hit up targets. Bizarre.

I agree that's certainly a factor. But let's face it we've been absolutely useless at hitting up forwards when there's zero pressure as well now for a very long time. Then there are days where, for some reason everyone is in sync and nobody misses a target. I remember only once or twice early being fully annoyed by a missed target. Thereafter we were kicking missiles between a sea of defenders to hit up targets. Bizarre.
Who knows? Maybe they found half an hour each week to practice kicking or something

Remove this Banner Ad

Back