Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

His rate of improvement has been astounding to me since moving back. He just fits down back. I reckon he's the 3rd tall in our best 22 with Hurley, Hartley and Ambrose. Brown probably missing out. The synergy should be good with Hartley taking the resting ruck or biggest player, Ambrose taking any endurance type athletes or guys we really need to lock down and take out of the contest and Hurley to take anyone else and provide lots of rebound.

Ambrose has also shown he can play on smaller guys as long as they aren't electric pace wise. Like I wouldn't play him on Cyril Rioli or Eddie Betts for instance because they are too agile but I'd be quite happy to play him on a guy like Gunston or even Breust if we needed to.

I've also been completely surprised by the improvement in his disposal. He's gone from way too slow to get rid of it and missing targets to really understanding his limits and using the ball quite nicely and adding rebound within the space of about a dozen games. I thought he was just about finished as a player at the start of the year but playing down back has been the complete revival of Ambrose.

It doesn't seem like opposition key forwards can escape him. He seems to have not only great work rate but great focus as well. As a forward he struggled because he wasn't a good enough mark and couldn't get separation on the lead but as a defender his super endurance comes to the fore. Plus he tackles harder than anyone in our side and is able to physically bullock opposition players away from the ball when it hits the ground.

yeah i've been amazed by his progression
he is still very slow getting boot to ball, but love his effort, spoils, and he just loves body contact and crunching guys
is he any worse than Dean Wallis? 2 time premiership player

Wallis was a good to very good standard AFL player - His big issue was injuries and lack of continuity in his game - Wallis has Ambrse covered.

Blitzer nailed is again - The one area in which Ambrose needs to improve is 'killing the ball' in a pack situation - He doesn't always clear the ball and sometimes misses the ball completely.

When I read pre season that he was being trialled down back I thought his papers were stamped. He has done an enormous job in defence and I think has been underrated. I guess it is because he is more of an old school type of defender but In my opinion he is the equal of AMT and Dea as the finds of this season. Can see him developing into a Teddy Richards type defender...

Wallis was a good to very good standard AFL player - His big issue was injuries and lack of continuity in his game - Wallis has Ambrse covered.

i don't think he ever reached 'very good' status.
if you remember, he was often a bit of a whipping boy
certainly not of Sheedy's, he was a love child

not saying Ambrose is as good, or better than Wallis. but he strikes me as a similar type player. and if Ambrose continues to play as he has, he will comfortably reach Wallis' heights

i don't think he ever reached 'very good' status.
if you remember, he was often a bit of a whipping boy
certainly not of Sheedy's, he was a love child

not saying Ambrose is as good, or better than Wallis. but he strikes me as a similar type player. and if Ambrose continues to play as he has, he will comfortably reach Wallis' heights

Ambrose still has time to reach Wallis' level and surpass that level - Winning the Most Improved Player shows he's on his way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think Paddy can be used as a tagger. Doing so well as a KPD shows his ability to fight in the contest, his tank is a feature.

To have a player who can play KPD and also do a job in the midfield adds a lot of flexibility to out side. He can also run with Darling, Gunston, Reiwoldt and Stringer next year. As has been stated above these types of players have gotten off the leash against us.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I still think Paddy can be used as a tagger. Doing so well as a KPD shows his ability to fight in the contest, his tank is a feature.

To have a player who can play KPD and also do a job in the midfield adds a lot of flexibility to out side. He can also run with Darling, Gunston, Reiwoldt and Stringer next year. As has been stated above these types of players have gotten off the leash against us.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
I like this idea too but I think he has found his niche and now it is time to settle as a defender. Don't disturb the peace.

I like this idea too but I think he has found his niche and now it is time to settle as a defender. Don't disturb the peace.

I think tagging and KPD will compliment each other. The fact that a Dangerfield or Bont dragging him to the goal square holds no fear for him makes him more formidable. Running around as a tagger will help him see where it is easier for mids to kick under pressure, hence a better reader of the play. Forwards will also know that they won't be able to run him into the ground.

I'd also like to see him get a run as a defensive forward occasionally too.

I think he will fit nicely next to Hurley/Hartley.

His main competition will be Francis IMO.
Brown also. At this stage I'd think it would be Brown > Ambrose > Francis, with a very small gap between each. This could very well be different by round own. Also, fair chance either Francis or Brown plays forward.

name me another player in the AFL who tags in the midfield and then plays KPD im the same game.

Ambrose is not superman.
Being superman is his main strength. He can fight it out with KPFs on a lead and under a high ball, which is something I wasn't sure he could do before this year. He is also one of the fittest guys in the league. Also the reason he did so well in the reverse Coleman is that he never lost concentration so he didn't give up cheapies late in the quarter.

Put all these together and he will be an amazing tagger.

We can deploy him as a run with player anywhere on the ground. That could be against a KPF, a big bodied mid or a play making half back. A bit like how Collingwood used Geyfer.

How have people not caught on yet that Worsfold does not like using defensive taggers?

How have people not caught on yet that Worsfold does not like using defensive taggers?

I don't know if this is 100% clear to us just yet. We simply lacked the personnel this year. The few players we had that could have played those roles were needed to win the ball.

It could be a different story when we have Hocking back and someone like Bird may be playing up forward on the oppositions best rebounder. Hell we saw Laverde playing as a negating player in a game this year so he might be an option too (although I'm hoping for more from him next year personally).

Ambrose still has time to reach Wallis' level and surpass that level - Winning the Most Improved Player shows he's on his way.

Wallis wasn't that good. His best games were as loose man in defence, which in those days teams did not exploit the loose defender as well.

Good to see Ambrose do so well this season. There were a few here last season calling for him to be given some time i defence or as a tagger.

I don't know if this is 100% clear to us just yet. We simply lacked the personnel this year. The few players we had that could have played those roles were needed to win the ball.

It could be a different story when we have Hocking back and someone like Bird may be playing up forward on the oppositions best rebounder. Hell we saw Laverde playing as a negating player in a game this year so he might be an option too (although I'm hoping for more from him next year personally).

That would have been purely for educational purposes. You don't buy a Rolls Royce to drive it through muddy terrain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back