Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

29 - [PLAYERCARD]Patrick Ambrose[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Retired. 11/8
Last Game Played: Elimination Final 2019 (injured)

Injury Status: Injured, stayed in Vic with a young baby - 18/7
Sore, finished the VFL game on the bench - 29/6

Last edited by a moderator:
I am convinced that the pre-season game against Hawkins was an outlier, especially the poor umpiring against Ambrose on that day.
Nah, he's never been great on the contested marking types. Really good against blokes like Gunston and Hogan though, with big engines.

Probably takes McKay next week.

Nah, he's never been great on the contested marking types. Really good against blokes like Gunston and Hogan though, with big engines.

Probably takes McKay next week.

Ambrose was umpired out of the game against Hawkins using the same defensive tactics he's used all his career - And he's used the same defensive tactics the last two weeks with no trouble - Ambrose goes OK on contested marking types like last week against Hogan.

absolutely exposed in the air against curnow

discuss.

nipst@r

All Australian
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Probably 10000th on the list of concerns

Bit higher than that when the senior coach lets him get exposed without making a change. Have hurley or hooker at our disposal but nah leave ambrose, i guess we are tanking and focusing on his development. I would have rather won the game against carlton.

He thought back well in the last quarter, and got a bit more help. He is a good defender probably our third best tall defender, just needs to play as the third best tall not as our best defender.

nipst@r

All Australian
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Curnow took 5 marks and had 9 touches. Less than season average.

Troll alert. Your kidding aren't you.

Carlton won the game in the 3rd quarter. Charlie curnow had 4 shots at goal in the 3rd quarter. kicked 2.2. Plus Assisted on another. Was stiff not to have more.

or

You could simply just look at the fact that Charlie Curnow was Carltons best forward. Charlie curnow was applauded for his good game. See the Carlton Board.

Ambrose struggled on him, and curnow should have ended up with 4 or 5. And we were also forced to get hurley or hooker to try and help ambrose out. A good coach would have just moved one of them onto him but we don't have a good coach atm.

Ambrose is a best 22, good defender but he struggled on the weekend against a elite talent (talent not player) and ambrose is nowhere near as good as our two all australian quality defenders in hooker or hurley.

Unfortunately for he may have to be squeezed out after the bye if/when Francis is ready.
Hm. Depends on who we're playing. Francis would blow up against several forward lines.

Can’t imagine Francis would be as good a checker one on one as Ambrose. Ambrose was on Danger when he was up forward, he’d get the gig on Martin, probably Fyfe as well.
Obviously not the quality of the three you mentioned but I reckon he'd get the gig on Dayne Beams when he plays forward too.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Ambrose looked very shaky early but recovered well. What works against him sometimes is his height, footy smarts and skills. His attack and running ability make him a handy player with his ability to play on smalls aswell.

In the coming years with some of the key defensive talent coming through I still think he will be a handy depth player for us but not a guaranteed best 22 player

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I really like what Ambrose brings to the table. Yes he can get outmarked close to goal by bigger bodies but at least with Ambrose they always have to earn it. He's always right on his opponents tail, gives very few frees away and is just very disciplined. I think he's getting better and better at rebounding as well, may not be the best kick around but makes good safe decisions. Is also ridiculously well suited to following forwards that lead hard up the ground. I also think if he continues to work on his one on one technique then he can still improve as a player as well, some of the contests he's losing he's got the raw strength needed to win but his technique is a bit off.

Plus as a bonus he's started to do stuff in the forward half of the ground. Like when Curnow had a pretty good game against him kicking 3, Ambrose kicked 1 himself and yet some people are saying he got belted. This is another area he can develop because we know he has a massive tank so he can absolutely go for a gallop and make his forwards run a bit more.

Whilst in theory he may lose his spot at some point, he's such a useful type of player that I suspect the coaches will nearly always find a role for him to play. Wouldn't be surprised if he played a role similar to the one Baguley is playing right now at some point.

Back