Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

29 - [PLAYERCARD]Patrick Ambrose[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Retired. 11/8
Last Game Played: Elimination Final 2019 (injured)

Injury Status: Injured, stayed in Vic with a young baby - 18/7
Sore, finished the VFL game on the bench - 29/6

Last edited by a moderator:
Too tall with him in for Redman, he was underdone anyway but even though we won wouldn't want to be playing that defensive combination again too many times.

Him, Hurley, Hooker, Dea and Goddard is almost like playing with 5 key defenders in terms of mobility on the ground and it's something I actually noticed live too.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Too tall with him in for Redman, he was underdone anyway but even though we won wouldn't want to be playing that defensive combination again too many times.

Him, Hurley, Hooker, Dea and Goddard is almost like playing with 5 key defenders in terms of mobility on the ground and it's something I actually noticed live too.

Yeah the combination was a bit sluggish against North's lineup. I wanted Ambrose for Dea and then Ridley for Redman. Neither Dea nor Ambrose offer much offensively but I think Ambrose is just a better player. It might be a bit funny but Ridley despite being taller than Dea is actually significantly more agile and a much better kick.

If we had our absolute best 22 available I believe it would look like this:

Ambrose Hurley Gleeson
McKenna Hooker Saad

I reckon Ridley/Redman are both decent approximations of Gleeson in terms of how they play, or at least as close as we can get. Interestingly Worsfold was praising both Ridley and Redman for their work in previous games in the press conference after the match.

Studly Baker

Senior List
Jun 9, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah the combination was a bit sluggish against North's lineup. I wanted Ambrose for Dea and then Ridley for Redman. Neither Dea nor Ambrose offer much offensively but I think Ambrose is just a better player. It might be a bit funny but Ridley despite being taller than Dea is actually significantly more agile and a much better kick.

If we had our absolute best 22 available I believe it would look like this:

Ambrose Hurley Gleeson
McKenna Hooker Saad

I reckon Ridley/Redman are both decent approximations of Gleeson in terms of how they play, or at least as close as we can get. Interestingly Worsfold was praising both Ridley and Redman for their work in previous games in the press conference after the match.

Needs more Francis

Is it a repeat hammy from previous seasons? I can't remember any others off the top of my head.

The bulk of his layoff this season was the wrist which got infected, aside from that it was the calf which was only a few weeks. Not great that he copped another soft tissue injury, but it hardly seems a systemic issue.

Is it a repeat hammy from previous seasons? I can't remember any others off the top of my head.

The bulk of his layoff this season was the wrist which got infected, aside from that it was the calf which was only a few weeks. Not great that he copped another soft tissue injury, but it hardly seems a systemic issue.
I don’t remember a hammy but I think he did the calf last year and got reinjured so was out of the side for like 12-14 weeks? Happened about the same time as Brown reinjured his ankle I think.

I don’t remember a hammy but I think he did the calf last year and got reinjured so was out of the side for like 12-14 weeks? Happened about the same time as Brown reinjured his ankle I think.
Think he has also had a quad injury in there some time as well.

Think he has also had a quad injury in there some time as well.
Yeah that sounds familiar. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go check the spreadsheets that I made last year and the year before. ha

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
When he was playing as a below average HF he was as fit as a fiddle, now that he's an above average KD he can't stay on the park!

Its weird because normally injury prone players get less injuries in defense than up forward. See Hurley's move back as an example.
I actually quite like Ambrose the defender but he keeps getting injured these last 2 years and now we have a lot of alternative options down back.

I've got this feeling that we are still going to be searching for positions for Ambrose in 3 years time. A bit like Geelong with Blicavs or North with Daw.

I've got this feeling that we are still going to be searching for positions for Ambrose in 3 years time. A bit like Geelong with Blicavs or North with Daw.
If we're looking for a position for him in three years time he may well get delisted, since he's already 26 (was a mature age recruit).

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
If we're looking for a position for him in three years time he may well get delisted, since he's already 26 (was a mature age recruit).

Wow for some reason I thought he was like 3 years younger than that. Guess at some point I just forgot he was a mature age pickup.

That sucks that he did a 10 week hamstring. That's definitely season over for poor Ambrose. No wonder he looked so disappointed on the bench, he must have known it was more serious than your regulation 4 weeks.

Wow for some reason I thought he was like 3 years younger than that. Guess at some point I just forgot he was a mature age pickup.

That sucks that he did a 10 week hamstring. That's definitely season over for poor Ambrose. No wonder he looked so disappointed on the bench, he must have known it was more serious than your regulation 4 weeks.
Yeah, he feels like he's been around for a while :p 67 games already, hopefully he gets to 100 (sentimentally speaking anyway).

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

2 quads + 1 calf + 1 hammy in 15 months is a systemic issue.

Its weird because normally injury prone players get less injuries in defense than up forward. See Hurley's move back as an example.
I actually quite like Ambrose the defender but he keeps getting injured these last 2 years and now we have a lot of alternative options down back.
It's not weird. Forwards get to choose where they're going mostly, whereas defenders need to be reactive to others much moreso.

2 quads + 1 calf + 1 hammy in 15 months is a systemic issue.
I think we have a physio or something somewhere around here, they might have more insight. But to me sounds like something else is out of whack? Like spine out of alignment or something... changes the way the other muscles inter-relate and all the joints, tendons and muscles down the legs? Is that a thing? :think:

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I think we have a physio or something somewhere around here, they might have more insight. But to me sounds like something else is out of whack? Like spine out of alignment or something... changes the way the other muscles inter-relate and all the joints, tendons and muscles down the legs? Is that a thing? :think:
Calf and hammy can be related to lower back, quad not so much. Certainly there can be long lasting muscle activation/strength/etc changes long after an injury has healed, which could potentially contribute to further injuries, though quad/calf injuries have not been associated with hamstring injuries in studies.

But looking past all that, quad x2 + calf + hammy in 15 months is more than enough to tell us he's got issues to work on.

Back