Autopsy 29 pt loss to Essendon - Rd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you've got to be a little careful just relying on a fully fit team to be competitive though. We'll always have 6-7 injuries and be missing 3-4 from the best 22. I mean chat to half the supporters in the league and they'll be blaming injuries.

Those numbers would be awesome. Have we ever had as few as 6-7 injuries and 3-4 missing from the 22? We're missing close to half of our best team, it's defintely an area of under performance

The biggest disappointments are the players we thought would take the next step this season and either through form or injury, appear to have gone backward. I’m thinking Langdon, Hughes, McCarthy, to a lesser extent, Kersten, Logue. Hilly has plateaued and Blakely was up and down.

All entitled to our own opinions Wal but I am staggered that you think Langdon has gone backwards this year. I'd be disappointed frankly if he or Luke Ryan weren't leading our Doig Medal chances this year.

Some of Walter's decision making / finishing has been pretty ordinary recently. I know he kicked 3 but gee he really could of been the one to help push an upset. Elephant in the room but I'm getting sick of his acting, needs to start playing more and cut that s**t out. I'd rather not lose the 2nd/3rd efforts from him for a chance of a free.
Yea hes been giving me the irrits this year with some of his shenanigans.

Add in:
Sandi/Darcy
Fyfe
Blakely
S Hill
Taberner
Bennell
Brayshaw

and we beat them easily. They are woeful. One of the oldest teams in the comp only just got on top of the the 2nd youngest team in the comp at their home ground. To think how many spuds we had playing today.

Positive note:
How good was Banfield!
We could also add Daniher, Stringer, a fit McKernan, McKenna, Ambrose and Gleeson.

Two clubs in different positions, wouldn't compare ins and outs in what if scenarios. Gleeson still a big loss from them, think he's one of their best players. Not sure what happened with him, did he have a setback during training / VFL? Or misdiagnosed earlier in the year. Thought he would of been back by now.

Would also immediately slot Stringer, Daniher & McKenna back in for Dea, Colyer & McNiece. Brown's a funny one too, don't rate him and think he's awful but he kicked straight against us up forward.

Maybe but the midfield is where the issue lies today. We only had 3 players over 20 possessions and our tagger was one of them.
Matera actually had 15 and kicked a goal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shame on you for any positive praise of Matera. His possessions are woeful. I would prefer he didn’t touch it at all

In terms of the scoreboard that was a really honorable loss. But we were really stemming the tide all game. The fact we were in the game with 5 minutes to go was remarkable given the bombers dominance.

Cam McCarthy can someone explain how he is so bad in not only a 1 on 1 but providing pressure in the front half. It doesn't like he is carrying extra weight or baggage that should affect his performance.

He really at 23 should be close to his peak. Unfortunately it looks like he has reached the crossroads in his career.

Perhaps i am being harsh and a keyboard warrior dickhead without knowing the full circumstances of what happened at GWS and his mental health.

But maybe his decision to walk out of GWS in the middle of pre season after not being traded to freo in 2015 was a true reflection of his character that he couldn't push through when the going got tough and threw the towel in came home. Atm he doesn't look like a player that does the hard stuff.

I maybe wrong but i can only judge what i can see on tv

I didn't deny that you had quality out, but so did we. If we were that bad, we wouldn't have won 7 of the last 9 games.

I thought your younger players stood up well today. Plenty of upside.
Yeah fair enough. I read that you had the second oldest team of the round out there, whereas prior to Johnson replacing the injured Darcy we had the youngest. Neither really matter, once we are seriously contending our game day profile will be significantly older than it is now as well.

Two clubs in different positions, wouldn't compare ins and outs in what if scenarios. Gleeson still a big loss from them, think he's one of their best players. Not sure what happened with him, did he have a setback during training / VFL? Or misdiagnosed earlier in the year. Thought he would of been back by now.

Would also immediately slot Stringer, Daniher & McKenna back in for Dea, Colyer & McNiece. Brown's a funny one too, don't rate him and think he's awful but he kicked straight against us up forward.

Gleeson broke his ankle in the JLT and has only recently made it out of a moonboot, he might sneak a couple in before season's end but he was in the top 5 for intercepts in the league after the bye last year but unfortunately has missed the chance to build on it.

Yeah fair enough. I read that you had the second oldest team of the round out there, whereas prior to Johnson replacing the injured Darcy we had the youngest. Neither really matter, once we are seriously contending our game day profile will be significantly older than it is now as well.

We've got so many injuries we've had to turn to our mature aged back up types which are skewing the age profile up a little bit, they'd all be out of the side if the younger incumbents could actually get on the park. But again, as you said different timelines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone really peeved that Langdon's role has been minimized since Brad Hill has come in?
Feel Brad has way too much control, possession and doesn't cooperate with other wingers. Langdon has developed, improved dramatically this season, and mostly without Hill. Hopefully they'll get it together.

We didn't win enough ball on the inside to provide our outside mids with enough of it.

Last week we won the ball on the inside well and both our wingers got enough of the ball to impact - Langdon (28 disposals) BHill (21 disposals).

Lack of a good ruck option killed us and lack of midfield options (Fyfe, Blakely, SHill).

That's in part because we have some of our younger players injured and replaced by older depth players like McNiece, Colyer, Dea, Brown etc who normally would not be in the side. Daniher, Begley, Stringer, Redman and a fit Laverde are some examples of younger players who would be in the side if not for injuries.

That's in part because we have some of our younger players injured and replaced by older depth players like McNiece, Colyer, Dea, Brown etc who normally would not be in the side. Daniher, Begley, Stringer, Redman and a fit Laverde are some examples of younger players who would be in the side if not for injuries.
With (minimum) respect, that is a cop out. I don't follow you in a meaningful way, but doubt if our injury list is significantly different to yours. Missing Sandilands, Fyfe, Darcy, Taberner, SHill and Bennel for starters. Not just best 22, but critical players. Game changers.

The club and coach have made a clear priority in favour of playing and investing in the youth to maximise their development, so Giro is in instead of D Pearce etc. We have a number pf pensioners on the list we could have used more if the focus was about jagging an extra win or two.

At some point Stringer (24), Daniher (24), Laverde (22) etc, need to start being considered mature. Stringer and Daniher are over a 100 games. They may be "younger", but they are hardly youth.

Last edited:
With (minimum) respect, that is a cop out. I don't follow you in a meaningful way, but doubt if our injury list is significantly different to yours. Missing Sandilands, Fyfe, Darcy, Taberner, SHill and Bennel for starters. Not just best 22, but critical players. Game changers.

The club and coach have made a clear priority in favour of playing and investing in the youth to maximise their development, so Giro is in instead of D Pearce etc. We have a number pf pensioners on the list we could have used more if the focus was about jagging an extra win or two.

At some point Stringer (24), Daniher (24), Laverde (22) etc, need to start being considered mature. Stringer and Daniher are over a 100 games. They may be "younger", but they are hardly youth.
I wasn't comparing it to your side. I was pointing to the comment that we fielded the 2nd oldest list in the competition this week and gave an explanation as to why that was. We have older and more experienced depth than Fremantle do, but our core is still fairly young. It's definitely maturing and finally find some consistency. Daniher and Stringer are certainly experienced and we are missing their class in the forwardline. For example, they are younger than the likes of McNiece, Brown and Dea, but they are more experienced. Age is not always the best indicator, which is why highlighting how old we were is pointless when that's not our best 22 out there.

Our list is obviously further developed than yours and no one would argue that.

The average age of our list is 2 months older than yours, the average games played is 6 games higher for freo

It was a pretty decent effort, our best effort out of Perth all year.

Even with our injuries, our top 10-15 players are pretty good. The last 10 players on our list are delist material, and we really need to find a way to improve the depth to put pressure on the best 22.

Cerra is just class, he will be a lot better next year with a full preseason.
The way we improve the depth IMO is exactly what we're doing. Getting games into them. As one example Jones in 2 years with 15 more games under his belt will (should) be a much better player and great depth behind Darcy/Apeness.
Or they could turn out like Sheridan and have a bunch of games and years in the system and still look like they're new to the game.

His "potential" was never high and unfairly put on his head by Fremantle supporters throughout 2015/2016 who unnecessarily overrated him despite never watching him play. The same mob who defended his form in 2017 because he sat out a year, whatever that means. Now in 2018 we see that once he cleans up his playing through the basics, you're just going to get a serviceable player. No "Superstar"

No point repeating what he needs to work on either, stated it 1000 times to death.
As long as he works on what he needs to work on at Peel .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back