Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - What an absolute jet!

Remove this Banner Ad

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Or as someone pointed out, it maybe why WC tried so hard. They would have known this was coming.

It’s baffling Rioli has been playing.
Not convinced of wc interest given the profile of their list and it doesn’t make sense in view of the Kelly transaction looming. Carr is a past master at negotiation , another job well done

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Just thought it appropriate to bump this thread back up after the last friday happenings with little Willie Rioli

It was unusual for the eagles to come out of no where and make an offer to Shai Bolton which was revealed on 1st September

West Coast make major play for Richmond's Shai Bolton

Richmond played west coast on 18th August and the rioli episode with the drug testing happened on the 20th August , West Coast must have been told by either Rioli or ASADA what had happened and they knew that Willi will be gone so have gone and decided to find his replacement and offer Shai Bolton a contract before he signs with richmond.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Just thought it appropriate to bump this thread back up after the last friday happenings with little Willie Rioli

It was unusual for the eagles to come out of no where and make an offer to Shai Bolton which was revealed on 1st September

West Coast make major play for Richmond's Shai Bolton

Richmond played west coast on 18th August and the rioli episode with the drug testing happened on the 20th August , West Coast must have been told by either Rioli or ASADA what had happened and they knew that Willi will be gone so have gone and decided to find his replacement and offer Shai Bolton a contract before he signs with richmond.
Smart...

CholEstrol

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Liked Shai's effort late in the 2nd. Leaves 2 Lions players in his wake Winx like 80m out then continues to sprint towards goal for the handball receive waltz in goal and got the big hug from Rioli.

T4P

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Richmond
Throwing some fuel into the hype train propaganda, but I’d put Shai’s potential to break open a match at a level equivalent to Shedda and Dusty.

He’s proven he can accumulate the ball, impact the scoreboard, and win contests he has no right to win.

With most of the x-factor talk being directed at Martin, Sheds and Rioli, he's somewhat slipped under the radar (at least at the mainstream level of discussion).

With the bottom six (16-22) players being the best barometer of a team's finals performance, I'm excited to see what he'll bring to the big stage on Friday night, and hopefully the bigger stage the following week.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
Would love this kid to have his breakout game in the GF and take home the Norm Smith

Has plenty of years to win Norm Smith.

I’m not sure who I want more out of Dusty and Shedda to win it if we’re luck enough to be there.

Dusty 2x NS and 1xBrownlow shuts up anyone say Danger is better, but Shedda deserves the recognition.

Cotch is a close third.

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

Tight bonds behind Shai Bolton’s AFL breakout at Richmond

Anyone watching Shai Bolton practising his goalkicking pre-game with close mate Daniel Rioli at the Gabba two weeks ago would have had no idea how nervous he was. The 20-year-old Tiger was stepping out for his first AFL final, determined to remain unfazed by the big occasion, when the butterflies hit.

But he and Rioli had a winning strategy - “go out and have fun” - and they did just that. “I tried to treat it like another game but when I came to the game I got a bit nervous,” Bolton told AAP this week.

“Obviously it’s a big game and I normally don’t get like that during games ... but once the ball went up I was all good.”

Bolton played his role in the win, kicking a goal and compiling 13 disposals as Richmond blitzed Brisbane to set up their third preliminary final in as many years.
For the flashy West Australian, it was another high point of a breakout year that started with a self-imposed brutal pre-season.

Heading into 2019, Bolton had just nine AFL games to his name and his future was uncertain. “I had to really focus on getting fit. I don’t think I was as fit as I could be,” Bolton said. “So that’s why I went home and focused on trying to get as fit as I can.”

Seventeen AFL games later, Bolton has made his finals debut, signed a new contract and become a fixture of Richmond’s side - playing every game since round 15, earning a Rising Star nomination and kicking 14 goals.

“He’s obviously got an enormous upside and his his best games are as good as anyone’s,” teammate Shane Edwards said. “Having someone there on the half-forward line that can also rotate through the midfield, puts on enormous pressure, really great finisher and a great team player is everything you want in a half-forward. “And he’s still really young.”

Edwards and Rioli were two mainstays in Richmond’s 2017 premiership team - and this year, the Tigers have reaped the rewards of their faith in two other young indigenous players in Bolton and Sydney Stack.

While Stack quickly took on cult hero status - playing 17 games and finishing third in the Rising Star, Bolton’s rise has been slower but arguably just as impressive. The 20-year-old is quick to credit Edwards for his role in his development.

Edwards is the first Indigenous player at Richmond to reach both the 200 and 250-game mark And has long set the tone on and off the field.

In rounds 16 and 17, the Tigers fielded a club-record five indigenous players - Edwards, Rioli, Bolton, Stack and Derek Eggmolesse-Smith. The milestone was a far cry from Edwards’ early years, when at times he was the only Indigenous player at the club.

“He’s been a big influence. The longest Indigenous player to have been at Richmond - he’s a big role model to all us Indigenous boys that are here,“ Bolton said. “All of us pretty much look up to him.

“When I’ve played a bit of midfield, he’s given me some pointers on how to play and how to set up in the midfield.” While the Tigers are known for their tight-knit playing group, Bolton is particularly close to Rioli.

“Me and Daniel are pretty tight, we have a kick after training all the time and then go get some breakfast together,” Bolton said. “But we’re all a pretty tight unit, especially us Indigenous boys, we’re pretty close.”

It was that close bond that helped Bolton decide that his future lay at Punt Road. He had been linked to a move to West Coast, but resisted the lure of home and family and made the “easy” decision to sign with Richmond until the end of 2021.

“There was a chance of me going home but I just love it over here ... I just love what the boys bring here, we’re all a close unit - we’re all like brothers,” Bolton said. “There was a little bit of a chance of me going home, obviously with family but I’m not homesick or anything. “I love Melbourne, my family will come over whenever they can so I see them, so I didn’t see really any point going back home.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
20 years old will get better we got a beauty here thought he was good yesterday makes things happen.

How good was his tap to lambert that lead to Pickett’s goal.

Hope he gets another personal trainer over the off season.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I remember best 22 discussions from 12-18 months ago people were saying we really need a few more mid/hff types to stand up for Richmond to have a good shoot at another flag. Bolton, still only 20, rose to the challenge. skill and class in buckets

ImaBeliever!

All Australian
Apr 13, 2007
The Wimmera
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m thinking that with his obvious focus in recent times on the pressure acts, 1%ers and team play fundamentals, that he will expand his natural repertoire to become Edwards-like in years to come. It took Sheds several years of development to become the player he is, so we need to give Bolton the same, and it seems most of us have come to that conclusion over the journey this season and forgive him the occasional quiet game.

footyistherealwinner

Senior List
Oct 2, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Just saw Bolton's Instagram story, seems to be in a sling in the hospital bed. Does anyone know what's up? I assume it's just a end of year surgery like a clean up to be ready for next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back