Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - What an absolute jet!

Remove this Banner Ad

To me it suggests that Bolton is on the move, he should have been picked over Butler FFS
Yeah, couldn't agree more. The fact he isn't being picked makes it very obvious he's gone.

Bolton, Baker and Rioli should be our smalls.

Higgins, Butler and Castagna can f*** off.

Sad if this kid shai leaves as his easily the most talented small. Keep playing those spuds like George, butler, Higgins and Rioli though dimma

Higgins is going to be a good player. Very surprised to see this talk of him. He probably is having a down second year though, can happen with young players but he'll improve in years 3 and 4. He needs a rest and some VFL confidence.

Castagna has awful finishing skills by hand and foot, and that's not good enough for a small forward who needs to take their chances. Tries hard but lacks the class.

I agree Bolton, Baker and Rioli should be the smalls, and have stints in the midfield too.

Yeah, couldn't agree more. The fact he isn't being picked makes it very obvious he's gone.
He ain't going nowhere, the match committee see him as a long term
Midfield prospect , and thats where his best position will be, he didn't play last night, because the midfield is so week, when Cotchin Lambert and sheda, Ross, all come back into the side and add to the midfield rotations then you will see shai added as well to the midfield rotation,, the club know he is a genuine midfielder,, and he will, play a very similar role to what Lambert is playing, ,, shai still has plenty of time and development yet,, I said it last year and I'm still very confident that bolts will be 150 game star at Richmond, we just need a little bit of patience to see it through

His VFL form has been excellent. How Rioli and Butler are getting a game ahead of him is a slap in the face.

He should be first picked of those 3.
If Cotchin and sheda played last night , shai would have been selected
Balmy basically said this last night

Simply has to be in the best 22, deserves to have a genuine run in the team too. When he’s dropped every couple of weeks it makes it really difficult for him to get some continuity.

One of the most talented players on the list, Dimma usually always mentions his need to improve the defensive side of his game. Castagna and Butler are very good off the ball and I think that’s why they’re often preferred to Bolton but the time has come to give him a good run in the team.

Currently has 18 touches, five tackles and a goal at half time in the VFL.

His VFL form has been excellent. How Rioli and Butler are getting a game ahead of him is a slap in the face.

He should be first picked of those 3.
For mine it's the way he doesn't do the team things that cost him his spot. A number of times he went for glory instead of doing the team thing and cost the team goals. Like guruisatiger I believe that Bolton will be a long term Richmond player but he needs to knuckle down and get the basics right before he worries about the highlight reel stuff. Once he gets that right the highlight reel stuff will happen just like it does with Betts.

For mine it's the way he doesn't do the team things that cost him his spot. A number of times he went for glory instead of doing the team thing and cost the team goals. Like guruisatiger I believe that Bolton will be a long term Richmond player but he needs to knuckle down and get the basics right before he worries about the highlight reel stuff. Once he gets that right the highlight reel stuff will happen just like it does with Betts.
Agreed RT ,,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some are saying that he is leaving and that's why he is not getting selected. Well however many players play as brilliantly as he does when dropped to the reserves? Normally players that have decided to change clubs check out mentally. He is playing like he wants to get back in the first and wants to stay. The signs are good that he wants to be a Tiger in 2020.

Some are saying that he is leaving and that's why he is not getting selected. Well however many players play as brilliantly as he does when dropped to the reserves? Normally players that have decided to change clubs check out mentally. He is playing like he wants to get back in the first and wants to stay. The signs are good that he wants to be a Tiger in 2020.

his manager is a tosser flog, so that complicates matters

excellent form the last 2 weeks, if he gets selected we have to give some mid field/ wing time, thats where he has been ripping it up. if we just play him as a small forward, his form will probably be the same as before he was dropped. we did the same thing with Lambert, early on played him as a small forward where he had no influence on games, get dropped, star in the vfl in the mid field and was in a revolving cycle. then we gave him mid field time and he's placed 2nd and 3rd in our last 2 b&f's.

The club want him to stay that's for sure,, , can't see him going anywhere

As I have said the last few weeks, he needs to play midfield. If he is to come into the seniors, he needs to play midfield & not be wasted in the forward pocket. He will definetly add a different dimension to the mids that we don't currently have. Also need to back him in for the remainder of the year, as the other guys are not cutting the mustard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back