Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - What an absolute jet!

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Great game by Bolton yesterday!!! :thumbsu:

Really stood up and proved he deserved a opportunity.

His marking presence was very telling and his weaving and creativity at ground level was quite telling.

The forward line was far more threatening and potent with Bolton contributing along with Stack's involvement.

Terrific to see the youngsters making the most of their opportunity!!!:thumbsu:

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I think he is is so cat-like and agile that he has never taken much contact with ball in hand. And I suspect on top of his slender frame that this absence of being accustomed to physical contact contributes to him jumping out of the way at times without the ball in his hands. Electrifying to watch but right now this looks like always being a limitation to his game. So it is not easy to value him as a player. I hope he stays but not shocked if Richmond let him go, especially as his trade value will be increasing nicely. Maybe around pick 20-25 equivalent value right now. I doubt we will be able to retain all of our mighty short people.

Jun 2, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
I really hope he doesn’t get dropped, he needs a genuine go to try and string some games together.

He’s one of the most talent players on our list and is just far to good to play in the VFL.

The only criticism I have about his performance was he didn’t have a single tackle, for a small forward and someone playing our style that’s not good enough. It’s my only concern that could lead him to getting dropped, I know how important it is to the coaching staff.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Would be mad to let him go, still so young. Butler will be let go.

It has to be partially market driven though doesn't it? So if he gets offered 3 years at $400k by Freo for example and we rate him worth no more than 2 years at $250k according to our TPP and he wants to go to Freo, we are priced out aren't we and more or less compelled to let him go providing a suitable trade is offered? I am not saying that will happen but it is possible.

I really hope he doesn’t get dropped, he needs a genuine go to try and string some games together.

He’s one of the most talent players on our list and is just far to good to play in the VFL.

The only criticism I have about his performance was he didn’t have a single tackle, for a small forward and someone playing our style that’s not good enough. It’s my only concern that could lead him to getting dropped, I know how important it is to the coaching staff.

I saw him chasing hard and tackling in parts but I think one attempted tackle I saw may not have stopped the player disposing of the ball(not Bolton's fault) so must not count as a tackle. I am not sure the club would count a player's tackles and say you had 5 that is excellent or you had none that is poor, it is more about whether the player has done what you would hope in all the situations he found himself in. So they would look at pressure acts and so on as well. I don't think he will be dropped this week but you never know. I just wonder about his hesitancy to take body contact at times and whether this might count against him at selection.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
It has to be partially market driven though doesn't it? So if he gets offered 3 years at $400k by Freo for example and we rate him worth no more than 2 years at $250k according to our TPP and he wants to go to Freo, we are priced out aren't we and more or less compelled to let him go providing a suitable trade is offered? I am not saying that will happen but it is possible.

I saw him chasing hard and tackling in parts but I think one attempted tackle I saw may not have stopped the player disposing of the ball(not Bolton's fault) so must not count as a tackle. I am not sure the club would count a player's tackles and say you had 5 that is excellent or you had none that is poor, it is more about whether the player has done what you would hope in all the situations he found himself in. So they would look at pressure acts and so on as well. I don't think he will be dropped this week but you never know. I just wonder about his hesitancy to take body contact at times and whether this might count against him at selection.

Yep clubs look at attempted tackles amongst pressure acts

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Only 9p on weekend , I’ve even heard freo fans neg out on cerra who I haven’t even noticed
Wow. That’s ordinary. He was good against the Pies and Dees, but he doesn’t spend much time in midfield (neither does Cerra), so it’s hard to gauge where those two are at.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

Maybe Stack can help him stick a few more tackles in terms of team defence. I think having Stack up there compliments Bolton who may be a little more offensive orientated

Need to chuck him in the midfield for bursts, like we used to do with Edwards

Spot on, went in there a couple of times on the weekend and had an impact

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
Yep clubs look at attempted tackles amongst pressure acts
sometimes the tackle stat is over rated and fact is, good players of teams good a stoppages will gather a loose ball in heavy traffic in a dangerous area of the ground, and see no good option, no exit outriders or switch options and will soak up a heavy tackle knowing theirs no prior and cause a stalemate, but also a chance they cop a high one so will at least get a ball up/stoppage to reset your structures. turning it over these days gets the oppo at least half their score.
its a no brainer if you have a top notch dominant ruckman.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Want to see him most times in the guts plays his best footy in the vfl there and stints in the afl to.

Back