Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - What an absolute jet!

Remove this Banner Ad

His kicking isn't that bad at all especially on the snap. He is still only 19 mate. Will be 20 for all of next year. He has plenty of time to improve his tank. Still developing his body at this stage.
This was in regards to being a hbf at senior level mate

I think he will be a very good small forward only and there is no shame in that

He has spent his life being an electrifying, extremely talented, offensive goal kicker. Defense is a foreign concept to Bolton. Balancing his offensive strengths with his developing defensive focus will take time. I would expect that as time progresses he will learn how to better switch between the two and become a more rounded forward. Next year he will get more opportunities, perhaps they will experiment with Higgins/Rioli/Bulter playing more time through the midfield, so develop his confidence at AFL level but I feel the first half of the year at VFL will see the most significant opportunity for him to grow.

My greatest fear isn't hat Bolton will make it. Rather that when he does, Ralph Carr will create another prolonged contract negotiation which will both force us to over pay and/or distract us through the later part if the season.

His kicking isn't that bad at all especially on the snap. He is still only 19 mate. Will be 20 for all of next year. He has plenty of time to improve his tank. Still developing his body at this stage.

Give him a few years. He would do well to follow rioli and learn from his defensive acumen.

He will be 21 for all of 2020 ;)

On further reflection, it occurs to me that a one year deal was agreed because Bolton wanted to stay but his manager thought he was worth more than what was being offered.
The potential upside is that Bolton knows that 'now' is the time to shine and will turn it one.
The down side is that we will have to 'pay' if he does!

On further reflection, it occurs to me that a one year deal was agreed because Bolton wanted to stay but his manager thought he was worth more than what was being offered.
The potential upside is that Bolton knows that 'now' is the time to shine and will turn it one.
The down side is that we will have to 'pay' if he does!

I think we'd be happy to pay if he becomes a good player TBH

He has spent his life being an electrifying, extremely talented, offensive goal kicker. Defense is a foreign concept to Bolton. Balancing his offensive strengths with his developing defensive focus will take time. I would expect that as time progresses he will learn how to better switch between the two and become a more rounded forward. Next year he will get more opportunities, perhaps they will experiment with Higgins/Rioli/Bulter playing more time through the midfield, so develop his confidence at AFL level but I feel the first half of the year at VFL will see the most significant opportunity for him to grow.

My greatest fear isn't hat Bolton will make it. Rather that when he does, Ralph Carr will create another prolonged contract negotiation which will both force us to over pay and/or distract us through the later part if the season.

I was going to say i hope Bolton can turn himself into a defender

now im not so sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree, he was playing much better in the midfield at VFL level and I think that's his more natural position
Agree with you here. Bolton in his draft year was a really good onballer and has been played out of position. His State games and the all-star game at Punt road were very good but he played through the middle. He needs to build a tank and be played either Wing,HB or HF changing through the middle. Not a forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back