Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton

AFL Club
Richmond
I was really worried during the trade period that we were going to lose Shai.

We're yet to even scratch the surface of what he could be capable of so hopefully with Butler out of touch and some mixed opinions around Castagna, we can give him at least 4-5 games in a row to see what he can do.

I've got a really good feeling about this fella, and I truly believe that by the end of the year he can prove that he's a better option than both Butler and Castagna for us moving forward.

He was super on the weekend, here's hoping he can turn it on against a Swans defence that are a few men down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dr Tigris

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Richmond
I was really worried during the trade period that we were going to lose Shai.

We're yet to even scratch the surface of what he could be capable of so hopefully with Butler out of touch and some mixed opinions around Castagna, we can give him at least 4-5 games in a row to see what he can do.

I've got a really good feeling about this fella, and I truly believe that by the end of the year he can prove that he's a better option than both Butler and Castagna for us moving forward.

He was super on the weekend, here's hoping he can turn it on against a Swans defence that are a few men down.
Just my opinion. What we want to do is get him into the middle. Pinch hit forward. I reckon he's OK forward, but his abilities as a mid could be very special. Leaves George and Butler with a job still. If he steps up over time our wingers will have to keep him from their job. And with Naish there it'll be an interesting few years in list refurbishment.

Bojangles17

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Watched the replay today on my day off.
This kid is going to be a very good player.
Ditched all the flashy shit (but still produced some flashy shit) and went hard at it.
How was when he turned on a postage stamp when pegged on the boundary line , not many players have that agility , has some tricks this kid , been channeling sheds look away handballs too

Dr Tigris

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Richmond
If Shai can harness his ability we have a genuine A grade player. This was the first real step at making that an AFL reality. Love how he has taken it on board to improve his running, and size, and attitude on ground. Reckon he'll be a very godoplayer for us. And quite possibly in 2019

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DontArgue4

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Houston Rockets, Arsenal, PhiEagles
Loved in a key part of the game we started a handball chain off half back, he recieved it and it looked like he was going to be hammered as soon as he caught it............ he managed to stop on a dime, side step to evade the would be tackler, and then dished it off to a team mate who was running by at full pace.

As others have said, you cant teach that shit.

AFL Club
Richmond
I like the comparison to Shane Edwards. He's also similar to Daniel Rioli. He's a bit shorter and lighter than those guys, but he seems to be coping reasonably well with the physical demands of the game. If he can find his niche within the team as a high half-forward who can be dangerous around goals that would be great. He is an upgrade on Butler and he frees up Rioli to play further up the ground.

Another player he reminds me of (sorry guys) is Richard Tambling. RT obviously had to deal with a tough background, high expectations and injuries. As supporters we always expected him to do the spectacular, rather than the good. I worry that Shai may feel that same pressure.

Dave P.

AFL Club
Richmond
I honestly like the fact that even though he could've passed it of a couple of times he took it upon himself and it worked out really well (including a crucial goal in the 2nd quarter). I like butler he's got not a lot between his ears. Shai stays in for a while.
Well said, I loved the fact he took it upon himself as well. One of my criticisms of Butler and Castagna is that I think at times they can over-possess the footy with handball rather than having a crack themselves.

And in saying all that, it's not like Bolton was taking pot shots from the boundary (he centered it a number of times, including that play of his with the fancy footwork on the boundary line), so he seems like he's got the balance right between knowing when to do the 'team thing' and when to back himself in to get the job done in front of goal.

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Bolton , Stack , Balta , Ross

These players need to get games and the quicker we get them to 50 games the better the RFC will become
Agree entirely. Butler, Castagna and others have set the platform in previous seasons. Once players with more talent and polish such as Shai can mix that with the effort required, we have special players. I think it's only a matter of time until someone overtakes Castagna and I think that will be Bolton. Butler is more skilled than George but out of form. I still think Baker is not quite there (but is improving) but if I was targetting a spot in the forwardline, I think George is the one that goes.

Top Bottom