Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - What an absolute jet!

Remove this Banner Ad

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
now it has to be Shai>Butler

Barring more injuries, it might be a long long time before we see him again. He should be forced to do the hard yards like Bolton had to do (and it will be interesting to see if he can or if he simply falls by the wayside). This guy has magic and class, along with D. Rioli and Stark they are going to be some combination. Throw in Maurie Rioli Jnr, they are really going to be something to see.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Barring more injuries, it might be a long long time before we see him again. He should be forced to do the hard yards like Bolton had to do (and it will be interesting to see if he can or if he simply falls by the wayside). This guy has magic and class, along with D. Rioli and Stark they are going to be some combination. Throw in Maurie Rioli Jnr, they are really going to be something to see.

Edwards is the aboriginal boss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 10, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Edwards is the aboriginal boss

Cant undersell the importance of shedda in helping the likes of rioli, stack and Bolton integrate into the AFL system

As for Shai I’d swap him and Higgins between mid and forward through the games. A lot of Shane Edwards about Bolton on the ball, elusive in the contest with neat disposal by hand to release players

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Cant undersell the importance of shedda in helping the likes of rioli, stack and Bolton integrate into the AFL system

As for Shai I’d swap him and Higgins between mid and forward through the games. A lot of Shane Edwards about Bolton on the ball, elusive in the contest with neat disposal by hand to release players
Hope he turns out as good a player as AA Sheds.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
Hope he turns out as good a player as AA Sheds.

Think he'll follow a similar career path to Edwards too. Will be inconsistent early but the more he gets the ball in his hands the more opportunities he creates. I'm particularly impressed with the improvement to his defense. He was dangerous with his pressure and tackling (5) plus was able to transition quickly between offense and defense which was his greatest weakness in the past. He always had X-Factor but now he has worked on his endurance so he can also push into the midfield, he is a real asset to the side. The best thing is, I think we're just scratching the surface of his ability....better start negotiations with Carr :p

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Think he'll follow a similar career path to Edwards too. Will be inconsistent early but the more he gets the ball in his hands the more opportunities he creates. I'm particularly impressed with the improvement to his defense. He was dangerous with his pressure and tackling (5) plus was able to transition quickly between offense and defense which was his greatest weakness in the past. He always had X-Factor but now he has worked on his endurance so he can also push into the midfield, he is a real asset to the side. The best thing is, I think we're just scratching the surface of his ability....better start negotiations with Carr :p
Spot on.
I think everyone that follows the Tigers has been aware of this guys talent but doubted his ability to play within the team structure and do the defensive things. He certainly took a step in the right direction on Saturday - 5 tackles and a lot more pressure defensively

What about his mark in the last where he just throws himself st the ball at chf!!! Little fella has got some tricks

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
You can judge a player by their ability below their knees. Players like Bolton can get rid of a ball before they stand up, whereas a player like Graham always stands up before they handball. Hence Graham often gets run down in traffic and players like Bolton get rid of it before trouble arrives. Great attributes as a link player. Butler does not have this trait which is why he will struggle until he adds some real grunt to his game.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
I really liked Bolton's game.

His speed and bag of tricks up forward give us another dimension. It looks as though he is developing nicely. If he gets a bit more continuity can only develop further, had a good defensive game to.

I really liked his contribution on the weekend and he provides serious headaches to the opposition which I love!!:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Willo_23

Senior List
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I was really worried during the trade period that we were going to lose Shai.

We're yet to even scratch the surface of what he could be capable of so hopefully with Butler out of touch and some mixed opinions around Castagna, we can give him at least 4-5 games in a row to see what he can do.

I've got a really good feeling about this fella, and I truly believe that by the end of the year he can prove that he's a better option than both Butler and Castagna for us moving forward.

He was super on the weekend, here's hoping he can turn it on against a Swans defence that are a few men down.

I was really worried during the trade period that we were going to lose Shai.

We're yet to even scratch the surface of what he could be capable of so hopefully with Butler out of touch and some mixed opinions around Castagna, we can give him at least 4-5 games in a row to see what he can do.

I've got a really good feeling about this fella, and I truly believe that by the end of the year he can prove that he's a better option than both Butler and Castagna for us moving forward.

He was super on the weekend, here's hoping he can turn it on against a Swans defence that are a few men down.

Just my opinion. What we want to do is get him into the middle. Pinch hit forward. I reckon he's OK forward, but his abilities as a mid could be very special. Leaves George and Butler with a job still. If he steps up over time our wingers will have to keep him from their job. And with Naish there it'll be an interesting few years in list refurbishment.

Back