Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - What an absolute jet!

Remove this Banner Ad

Was desperately unlucky to be dropped and should be immediately recalled with Riewoldt injured and Cotchin still being a few weeks away. He is very close to a breakout game and Footscray could be it. Also there is another reason I want him back straight away. I keep on reading on other club forums that this is the Richmond player that their club should target and they would be able to get him 'cheap' If God forbid he were to leave Richmond at the end of the year I'd want fair compensation. Just saying every time he plays and impresses, it makes it that much harder for another club and it's supporter base to fantasise about stealing him for a third rounder.

Was desperately unlucky to be dropped and should be immediately recalled with Riewoldt injured and Cotchin still being a few weeks away. He is very close to a breakout game and Footscray could be it. Also there is another reason I want him back straight away. I keep on reading on other club forums that this is the Richmond player that their club should target and they would be able to get him 'cheap' If God forbid he were to leave Richmond at the end of the year I'd want fair compensation. Just saying every time he plays and impresses, it makes it that much harder for another club and it's supporter base to fantasise about stealing him for a third rounder.
On what he has shown and done he would barely be worth what we paid for him and thats around #30 at best, He is extremely talented and i would hate to lose him as its extremely unlikely we could get a player with as much talent or upside to what Bolton has in this years draft which by most junior watchers is not that strong.

We need to sign him up for another 2 years but he would need to see that he is getting games , So i would like to see him play another 6-8 games this year

On what he has shown and done he would barely be worth what we paid for him and thats around #30 at best, He is extremely talented and i would hate to lose him as its extremely unlikely we could get a player with as much talent or upside to what Bolton has in this years draft which by most junior watchers is not that strong.

We need to sign him up for another 2 years but he would need to see that he is getting games , So i would like to see him play another 6-8 games this year

Having been best on the ground yesterday with our VFL team and with Riewoldt and Cotchin both out for extended periods he hopefully now gets his 6-8 games. With luck he becomes a permanent fixture even with Riewoldt and Cotchin returning. And if he does go having had his 6-8 games we get proper compensation and not the third round nonsense I keep on reading on other club forums (they seem to delusionally think because we let the likes of Miles, Lloyd and Ellis go for token trades that we'll do that for every player including 20 year old Bolton). Remember Jed Anderson got Hawthorn a pick 15 from North Melbourne and he had only played 10 games for them. Even not being under contract quite a few clubs would be interested in Bolton and we might be able to play them off against each other. Hopefully none of this comes to pass because like I said previously I desperately want him to stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great Game today from Shai Bolton , I really loved his game and he just shoed us a glimps of whats to come

I always thought he would be a mid/fwd like Michael Walters and today i am certain he will 100% make it as that type of player and not just a small foward

So excited about players like Balta,Stack,Bolton,Baker there is alot of X-Factor right there

I think both him and the coaching staff have align.His doing all the basic stuff with his added class and coaches have realised his no full-time forward.

the advantage of having a strong team and club is you can develop guys like bolton. in his 3rd year and have allowed him to develop a bigger tank, get stronger and increase his defensive game. can't remember when we have had such exciting talent on our list.

the advantage of having a strong team and club is you can develop guys like bolton. in his 3rd year and have allowed him to develop a bigger tank, get stronger and increase his defensive game. can't remember when we have had such exciting talent on our list.
Big time agree with this, I reckon we’ve had this sort of talent before but just haven’t had the coaching cattle to develop them properly. Shows what a good system and proper support can do.

His kicking has become a real weapon.

He announced himself today

He did everything rioli should have been doing all year.

Wow.
Makes it bloody tough on the selectors. You can't drop Shai after that performance. It's the tough but perfect scenario you want, players fighting for spots. Rioli will probably come back in at Ross' expense, but we need that big midfielder hence why RCD may get a shot.

Vlastuin comes in for Menadue, and some of his kicks yesterday were sublime. Who comes in for Nank will be really interesting. Do we just go to Soldo? does CCJ make his debut (though he is still finding form) or do we go on the project that is Chol?

Anyway, back to Bolton, rapt for this kid. He has the flair and wizardry that concerns opposition teams, he really showcased it yesterday. I think the penny has dropped, seeing Stack break into the team and cement it in such a way may have been Shai's light-bulb moment of his career. Let's hope.

Makes it bloody tough on the selectors. You can't drop Shai after that performance. It's the tough but perfect scenario you want, players fighting for spots. Rioli will probably come back in at Ross' expense, but we need that big midfielder hence why RCD may get a shot.

Vlastuin comes in for Menadue, and some of his kicks yesterday were sublime. Who comes in for Nank will be really interesting. Do we just go to Soldo? does CCJ make his debut (though he is still finding form) or do we go on the project that is Chol?

Anyway, back to Bolton, rapt for this kid. He has the flair and wizardry that concerns opposition teams, he really showcased it yesterday. I think the penny has dropped, seeing Stack break into the team and cement it in such a way may have been Shai's light-bulb moment of his career. Let's hope.
If they drop Menadue after that game, it would break his spirit.

I would hate to be a selector

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back