Review #29 Tyrone Vickery

Remove this Banner Ad

274468-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

Personal Details
Height: 200cm Weight:97kg
DOB: 31.05.90

Career Details
Debut: Rd 12, 2009
Recruited with pick 8 in the 2008 draft from East Brighton/Haileybury College/Sandringham U/18s

Stepped up as a reliable second option up front in 2011 for Jack Riewoldt kicking a very respectable 36 goals before having a strong pre season building hopes he could improve further on an encouraging 2011 in 2012.
This wasn't to be unfortunately when he injured his shoulder early in the season and was never able to get in full gear and really struggled but was kept because of how important he is to the teams structure. Eventually the call had to be made and he was taken out and put in for surgery after round 9 to ensure he was fit and firing for pre season.
He did all his recovery and rehab work while the season was still going then went away on pre season break early so he could come back to training early and not lose ground on everybody else. According to all reports he is having a great summer and is ready to take his game up another level, be a legitimate second forward behind Jack and give big Ivan a chop out in the ruck as well.

Contracted until the end of 2014.
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2012-03-24/ty-tied-for-two-more.default?

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-01-24/vickery-riewoldt-training

Good luck mate for the year.

The second thing they are addressing (according to Mark Williams - not the choco variety) is using the ball better when going forward. We all saw it last season, many times we bombed it into the 50 only for the ball to stream out more often than not a few seconds later. I think a big reason for that happening (apart from maybe the inexperience of younger players lacking the composure to assess their options) was due to a lack of a decent CHF/HFF options. Some people here don't rate Vickery but I rate him immensely. I think he can take his game to a higher level but the main reason I rate him is the value he brings to the side in terms of structure. He provides another key forward target (with great mobility for his size) as well as a relief in the ruck (we all saw how Maric really struggled late in the season last year from both nursing his body through the last few games but also from carrying the ruck load almost single handedly all season). If he can contribute as a forward with goals and taking a defender away from Jack AND help Ivan with the ruck work - would be a huge plus for the side IMO. When Vickery went down, another reason we struggled going forward was that there was a gulf along the HFF line - there was no one to link the midfield to the forward line. Knights will play in this role and his strong kicking will hopefully ensure we are kicking it to our advantage more often than resorting to bombing it. Edwards also addressed another area we lacked in a genuine marking alternative to Jack - he will also help improve our conversion at goal with his elite goal kicking from set shots. Some reports have said he has been impressing on the training track so hopefully we see a lot of him in 2013. I'd be very happy if Knights and Edwards could hold down spots in our best 22 and play all 22 games.
NUFC Tiger best summer up how important he is for our structure with this post :thumbsu:

I love what Vickery could be and I think he will be.
Last night was a perfect example of his value, absolute natural up forward with his hight and agility he is a pretty tough match up, then he proved his true value giving Ivan the chop out in the ruck that he really needed last year and he has improved his ruck work a lot.

Last night was a perfect example of his value, absolute natural up forward with his hight and agility he is a pretty tough match up, then he proved his true value giving Ivan the chop out in the ruck that he really needed last year and he has improved his ruck work a lot.

Agreed TheColeTrain. He's had his fair share of knockers and bad luck with injuries but his value to what he brings to the team is huge. I was so happy for him last night. He started playing with confidence and really showed what he can do. His reaction when he bagged his first goal was great stuff - just could see how much it meant to him. The boys getting around him was also good to see. Once he got that belief and confidence, he started clunking contested pack marks, making great options on the lead and throwing his weight around. Still more to come from TV I'm sure. Great way for him to start 2013 :thumbsu:

I think he is a severely underated player. He is a great forward, and is handy in the ruck. Whilst he doesn't get many hitouts, he has one of the highest hitout to advantage percentages in the AFL, more than Cox, Sandilands and Jacobs.

Gives the midfield another option to kick to in the forward line besides Jack, we missed that last year. We will give opposition coaches a few headaches when they try and match up on our forward line, with the inclusion of Vickery this year. Vickery played on of his best games last night, showing he has confidence back in his shoulders.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/tea...k-to-be-afl-star/story-e6frf9mx-1226609010900

He's only 22.
We have only seen a hint of his potential so far.
What I saw on Thursday Night has me brimming with excitement.
While Carlton had 500 players on Jack it was Vickery who took the important marks and made 3 crucial goals.

I love the kid's controlled aggression at the ball and he was confident at shooting for goal Thursday which put our team back in the game.

Disp-14,kicks-10,marks-9,h-bll-4,tack-2,goals-3,beh-1,FF-1,FA-1,H-outs-7.

K-4, HB-6, Disp-10,Marks-2.HO-2,Tac-1,FF-1,FA-3,G-1,B-0.

His dreamteam rating was 101 last week and it has dropped down to 34 this week.

Still while not being a major contributor,he did kick a goal.

Anyone who wants to chip in with more detailed analysis can do so.

Moving onto the Freo game ,he had a rating of 95 which puts him close to the form of his round 1 game.

Was very potent up forward and provided one of Richmond's main strike forces in front of goal while Jack was being contained(as far as scoring shots were concerned).

Also does the little team things that a lot of us take for granted like spoils and blocks besides his marking and goal kicking and hitouts of course.

A great performance by him on Friday Night and more to come for the year I'm sure.

Here are the stats for the mighty big lug.

Kicks-12,Handpasses-1(13-dspls),8-marks(only one less from his stellar game round 1),10-hitouts(another plus for the multirole job he has),1-tackle(down on his best R1 tackle count of 3 but he is a tall player not in the team for tackling like a Grimes or a Cotchin but every team tackle counts),FF-1,FA-0(good discipline),goals-3(takes his season tally to 9, a solid start so far and highest game tally since round 1(3)),0-behinds(goal kicking is accurate except for the Bulldogs game when he kicked 2 behinds,has kicked 3 behinds so far this season so overall he has been very good),Rating 95(second highest for the year after getting a rating of 101 for round 1).

Good stuff Vicks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another strong performance this week.

Not quite as good as his best effort round 1 but he took some ripping marks against the Doggies and set up a few goals.
We still haven't seen the best of him yet.

When we do,watch out opposition!!!!!!!

K-7 HB-8 D-15 M-4(would like that stat improved but being a 2nd string ruck means you don't get many marking opportunities)HO-7,T-0(would like to see more defensive pressure in his game)FF-1 FA-2(typical maggots)G-2(now that's a good sign) B-1.
A rating of 64 which I thought was a bit low going by his game on Sunday.

he took some ripping marks against the Doggies and set up a few goals.

How good was the big fella getting around Roughead to set up Daniel Jackson's goal of the year contender! I love Vick's agility.

Could our strategy for getting the ball to our key forwards be grubber kicks???

Here comes the Vickery!

Best game of the YEAR! :thumbsu:

Most kicks with 14. Most marks with 11. 16 hitouts-lovely.Umpires liked him this week with 4 frees and that 1 ridiculous decision against him when he pushed someone with less pressure than a zepher of wind.Only the 1 goal and 1 behind but he had a great team game,one that the coach would be very pleased with.
A rating of 119!!!!! That's his best for the year and beats his previous best in round one by a whopping 18 points!

Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Vicker Vickery Vickery Vicker Vickery!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back