Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - 20d/12 tackles in VFL vs Brisbane - returns to the team vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah and I think physically he’s going to be very imposing in the contest once he gains strength and fitness. He’s going to be Cunners replacement.
Yeah I think so too but with better defensive application than Cunners. Dunno if Will's contested marking will get to Cunners' level but probably won't be needed considering LDU, TT and potentially Horne all look a capable mark in the forwardline.

Comparisons are odious but I still think he’ll end up better than Powell.

Different types of players.

Will at the coalface, Tom as the architect on the outside.

Yeah and I think physically he’s going to be very imposing in the contest once he gains strength and fitness. He’s going to be Cunners replacement.

Have you noted the "swagger" in Horne's play? This is what Will also has, but inside and bursting away from the packs. The opposition appear to be oblivious to him. I noted in the VFL match vs * that he seems coast away from the contest, and he's deceptively quicker than he looks.

Different types of players.

Will at the coalface, Tom as the architect on the outside.

Have you noted the "swagger" in Horne's play? This is what Will also has, but inside and bursting away from the packs. The opposition appear to be oblivious to him. I noted in the VFL match vs * that he seems coast away from the contest, and he's deceptively quicker than he looks.

Yeah he’s got plenty of zip. Under rated zip.

Yeah he’s got plenty of zip. Under rated zip.

As I pointed out in the post VFL game thread, his running style is quite striking and it gives the impression that he's just coasting through and away from the contest without a care in the world. His legs pump up & down, but from the torso up he stays bolt upright. It's an extraordinary centre of gravity/balance.

Last edited:
As I pointed out in the post VFL game thread, his running style is quite striking and it gives the impression that he's just coasting through and away from the contest without a care in the world. His legs pump up & down, but from the torso up he stays bolt upright. It's and extraordinary centre of gravity/balance.

Lol yeah he could balance a book on his head as he runs

Here's an example of what I mean (timestamped)

Most folks lunge forward to gain greater speed when pursued, but Will stays relatively upright and still gets away. This affords him much greater balance.

It makes him look cocky, and of course we know after listening to him speak, that he's a very humble, grounded young fella without an ounce of arrogance in him.

Timestamped again, Check out the next couple of plays where he just appears to stroll away from the contest. He was doing it with this sort of ease vs the scum in the VFL match.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back