Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - 20d/12 tackles in VFL vs Brisbane - returns to the team vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's an example of what I mean (timestamped)

Most folks lunge forward to gain greater speed when pursued, but Will stays relatively upright and still gets away. This affords him much greater balance.

It makes him look cocky, and of course we know after listening to him speak, that he's a very humble, grounded young fella without an ounce of arrogance in him.

That's a strong vestibular system. We actually try to train this in fast bowlers as well.

That's a strong vestibular system. We actually try to train this in fast bowlers as well.

Thanks, I'm glad someone professionally trained in biomechanics can also see that it's notable.

I actually get the impression that he could have had a decent boxing career if he had taken up that sport.

Here's an example of what I mean (timestamped)

Most folks lunge forward to gain greater speed when pursued, but Will stays relatively upright and still gets away. This affords him much greater balance.

It makes him look cocky, and of course we know after listening to him speak, that he's a very humble, grounded young fella without an ounce of arrogance in him.

Timestamped again, Check out the next couple of plays where he just appears to stroll away from the contest. He was doing it with this sort of ease vs the scum in the VFL match.

Big fan of the more vertical ball drop. I had a coach try to show me how to drop the footy and it was very flat. Took me years of thinking I couldn’t kick till I saw a player kick like that and realise I had to drop the ball vertically. So much more accurate.

Thanks, I'm glad someone professionally trained in biomechanics can also see that it's notable.

I actually get the impression that he could have had a decent boxing career if he had taken up that sport.

To me it doesn't really result in him being any faster, despite it deceiving the eye as to how quick he is. It means what we can expect is excellent execution of skills at speed, as well as vision and balance to break tackles. The reason they tell you to slow down before you kick is so you can regain your centre of gravity and then perform the skill using the limbs. If this guy is already in a balance position at top speed...well that buys not even half seconds, but whole seconds of time and space.

Beautiful. I know for a fact lots of clubs have been sniffing around trying to lure him away from the bright light of Arden St.
Mahony, Phillips, Comben, Perez.....suddenly i'm on half a tabby cat.

Agree. And I dare say that if footy doesn't work out for him, a gymnastics career beckons.

As I pointed out in the post VFL game thread, his running style is quite striking and it gives the impression that he's just coasting through and away from the contest without a care in the world. His legs pump up & down, but from the torso up he stays bolt upright. It's an extraordinary centre of gravity/balance.
Micheal Johnson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I pointed out in the post VFL game thread, his running style is quite striking and it gives the impression that he's just coasting through and away from the contest without a care in the world. His legs pump up & down, but from the torso up he stays bolt upright. It's an extraordinary centre of gravity/balance.
Micheal Johnson.
Excellent comparison, I was trying to think of a more agile Dane Swan

Excellent comparison, I was trying to think of a more agile Dane Swan
Micheal Johnson was a unit too, built like a brick shithouse, especially for a 400m runner.

Johnson is the only guy to win the 200 and 400 at the one Olympics. He also held world records over both distances and still has the fastest ever recorded time over the distance (in a relay so not a sanctioned time. That time may be the only recorded sub 43 second 400m ever run.)

They are very different events. Its not unusual to win the 100 and 200 but the 400 uses different energy systems I guess. Lactic acid isn't really an issue in a 200. He also has a very unusual (for Olympic sprinters) running gait.

Anyway Johnson has 14 of the fastest 25 400m times in history and has run under 44 seconds for a 400m more times than anyone in history. I remember reading somewhere years ago that his times were very even across a 400m race. Most people run the first 300m with a faster average time per 100m than the last 100. Johnson's were very even.

He also has a very Will Phillips like running gait.

Johnson reckons his style is incredibly efficient and wastes very little energy which makes it more effective over a 400m race compared to the less efficient style/form most athletes use.

It will be interesting to see how effectively Phillips runs during a game once he is up to scratch cos the way he and Johnson both run is very energy efficient.

I can tell he has done a lot of running with a dow.

The reason I say that is because of his upright posture when he runs and maintaining that throughout his strides even when he is fatigued. Compared to others who just through their arms across their body when they fatigue.

It also reinforces the running/sprinting mechanics, knee up, toes facing up and foot strike.

The reason I say that is because of his upright posture when he runs and maintaining that throughout his strides even when he is fatigued. Compared to others who just through their arms across their body when they fatigue.

It also reinforces the running/sprinting mechanics, knee up, toes facing up and foot strike.
So you are hinting that the paddy running connection might lead to something in the trade period. Would have to be cheap to be honest.

So you are hinting that the paddy running connection might lead to something in the trade period. Would have to be cheap to be honest.

Hehehe well don’t share my secrets just yet

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Here is Micheal Johnson briefly talking about his running style from 1.20 - 1.50. He is saying very similar stuff. He compares his technique to 100m sprinting technique too. Its interesting. I reckon being fast over 100m isn't necessarily great for AFL cos of the technical aspects of the race. It doesn't hurt obviously cos the leg speed will help, but what is more important is a short burst (ie the ability to accelerate quickly) and the endurance to run 200, 400 and 800m. Ie the ability to get from contest to contest and make repeat high intensity efforts.

Think about Ats. Great straight line speed but not necessarily as agile as Jy or Lazz who are probably a bit slower than Ats over 100m.

Or Maj who was incredibly fast once he got going but not necessarily agile like LT or Eddie Betts around the contest.

Here is Micheal Johnson briefly talking about his running style from 1.20 - 1.50. He is saying very similar stuff. He compares his technique to 100m sprinting technique too. Its interesting. I reckon being fast over 100m isn't necessarily great for AFL cos of the technical aspects of the race. It doesn't hurt obviously cos the leg speed will help, but what is more important is a short burst (ie the ability to accelerate quickly) and the endurance to run 200, 400 and 800m. Ie the ability to get from contest to contest and make repeat high intensity efforts.

Think about Ats. Great straight line speed but not necessarily as agile as Jy or Lazz who are probably a bit slower than Ats over 100m.

Or Maj who was incredibly fast once he got going but not necessarily agile like LT or Eddie Betts around the contest.

Yep, there's a reason the 20m sprint is used to test these metrics, as well as agility tests. You don't get to wind out to top speed in sport anywhere near as much as you need a short burst to clear congestion.

Screenshot_20210610-083613~2.png

Yep, there's a reason the 20m sprint is used to test these metrics, as well as agility tests. You don't get to wind out to top speed in sport anywhere near as much as you need a short burst to clear congestion.

View attachment 1151308
If you think about the first 20m of a 100m race its nothing like what you experience on a footy field as well. Its very rare that players start in a crouch position. But there are similarities in that drive phase as you come up to full height and full stride length if you've bent down to pick up the ball.

The 20m sprint is a standing start at the combine and doesn't depend on a external starting trigger, ie the runners trigger the time when they start running don't they?

Its so different.

Good 400m speed means you can run fast too, 50 second 400m is 12.5 per 100m, but you have great repeat effort endurance cos your anaerobic energy production is effective. Same with good 800m speeds. David Calthorpe could run 800m in about 2 minutes as a 16 year old. Hard to believe given what he looked like at the end...

Yeah but like all the NAB league clubs have their s&c coaching run athlete development programs in their sessions.

What I’m saying is the way he good his technique is by placing the dow over his head, arms extended, knuckles to the sky and just running whatever the distance.

Yes acceleration is one of the most important aspects of running (linear extensive) that will come from wall iso holds, load and lifts, A skip, wall switches then you’ve got your rolling starts.

When conditioning for footy I wouldn’t say the goal should be distance. Fartlek and MAS conditioning are great because they focus on the time on and off rather than the distance, just like sprinting to a contest then jogging, more game like.

All I was saying was just how the s&c guys could have taught him as I’m slowly correcting it too.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back