Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - 20d/12 tackles in VFL vs Brisbane - does he come in vs Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes acceleration is one of the most important aspects of running (linear extensive) that will come from wall iso holds, load and lifts,

Depends entirely on the athlete's physiology. Hip dominant, fascia driven athletes will be slowed down by some of these activities, whereas knee dominant, muscle driven athletes will thrive. Phoenix Spicer and Jaidyn Stephenson have completely different sources of acceleration power to someone who is built like Will.

It's a particular bug bear of mine in Australian sports science - there was an English coach who was laughed at for years for his theories on this but the discipline is starting to come around and work on how to improve fascia stiffness and to work with athlete's physiology, not cookie cuttering a plan to them.

Yeah but like all the NAB league clubs have their s&c coaching run athlete development programs in their sessions.

What I’m saying is the way he good his technique is by placing the dow over his head, arms extended, knuckles to the sky and just running whatever the distance.

Yes acceleration is one of the most important aspects of running (linear extensive) that will come from wall iso holds, load and lifts, A skip, wall switches then you’ve got your rolling starts.

When conditioning for footy I wouldn’t say the goal should be distance. Fartlek and MAS conditioning are great because they focus on the time on and off rather than the distance, just like sprinting to a contest then jogging, more game like.

All I was saying was just how the s&c guys could have taught him as I’m slowly correcting it too.
fartlek.

LOL.

Depends entirely on the athlete's physiology. Hip dominant, fascia driven athletes will be slowed down by some of these activities, whereas knee dominant, muscle driven athletes will thrive. Phoenix Spicer and Jaidyn Stephenson have completely different sources of acceleration power to someone who is built like Will.

It's a particular bug bear of mine in Australian sports science - there was an English coach who was laughed at for years for his theories on this but the discipline is starting to come around and work on how to improve fascia stiffness and to work with athlete's physiology, not cookie cuttering a plan to them.

Yes for sure!! Those exercises I just mentioned just help you reinforce the knee drive and foot positioning, if someone has focused on acceleration with their s&c coach

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How does this stuff work?

I've only just come across it.

How does this stuff work?

I've only just come across it.

I think in a nutshell, when people are generating force, people tend to fall on a spectrum somewhere between the two poles of 'hip dominant' or 'knee dominant'. In a cricketing sense, compare Malcolm Marshall to Shaun Tait. It is used to explain the way that a skinny, lanky person can generate the same force as a stocky, muscle bound person.

The hip dominant guys tend to be driven mostly from their fascia tissue (tendons, ligaments) which is extremely stiff. Their joints don't need to engage as high a range of motion as the knee dominant people. The knee dominant guys tend to need to bend those joints, then use their muscles to contract and exert force (the stretch shortening cycle).

Think of those Masai warriors who have crazy vertical leap without bending their knees. They are generating the same force or even more as someone who does the traditional jump from the squat position. They generate this force from the stiffness of their tendons and ligaments. We see this difference across heaps of sports: baseball, javelin, boxing, cricket, sprinting, etc.

Old school sports science used to say "squat, deadlift as much as you can and you will get faster". While improving muscle strength for knee dominant people is going to feed their strength and enhance their performance ability, too much of these exercises for the hip dominant guys and girls can actually make them slower or reduce performance in their sport, since it trains their body to generate force in a way that they're not really that good at. One isn't any better than the other, they are just different ways that the body self organises to achieve a result.

Happy to engage via PM as I don't wanna distract from Will too much. He is gonna be beast and I can't wait to watch him in a few years from now.

Last edited:
Different types of players.

Will at the coalface, Tom as the architect on the outside.

Have you noted the "swagger" in Horne's play? This is what Will also has, but inside and bursting away from the packs. The opposition appear to be oblivious to him. I noted in the VFL match vs * that he seems coast away from the contest, and he's deceptively quicker than he looks.
Have to love the fact that all these players coming in have some wheels. We've been too slow for a long time.
Still need the balance between breakneck & glacier like, but I'm happy to work on some pace first.

Have to love the fact that all these players coming in have some wheels. We've been too slow for a long time.
Still need the balance between breakneck & glacier like, but I'm happy to work on some pace first.

Pace has been a major issue for years.

I think in a nutshell, when people are generating force, people tend to fall on a spectrum somewhere between the two poles of 'hip dominant' or 'knee dominant'. In a cricketing sense, compare Malcolm Marshall to Shaun Tait. It is used to explain the way that a skinny, lanky person can generate the same force as a stocky, muscle bound person.

The hip dominant guys tend to be driven mostly from their fascia tissue (tendons, ligaments) which is extremely stiff. Their joints don't need to engage as high a range of motion as the knee dominant people. The knee dominant guys tend to need to bend those joints, then use their muscles to contract and exert force (the stretch shortening cycle).

Think of those Masai warriors who have crazy vertical leap without bending their knees. They are generating the same force or even more as someone who does the traditional jump from the squat position. They generate this force from the stiffness of their tendons and ligaments. We see this difference across heaps of sports: baseball, javelin, boxing, cricket, sprinting, etc.

Old school sports science used to say "squat, deadlift as much as you can and you will get faster". While improving muscle strength for knee dominant people is going to feed their strength and enhance their performance ability, too much of these exercises for the hip dominant guys and girls can actually make them slower or reduce performance in their sport, since it trains their body to generate force in a way that they're not really that good at. One isn't any better than the other, they are just different ways that the body self organises to achieve a result.

Happy to engage via PM as I don't wanna distract from Will too much. He is gonna be beast and I can't wait to watch him in a few years from now.
Cheers. I get it. I might drop you a line later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking of the Masai jumping makes my 43yo Achilles twinge (same as when I see double unders on the board at the box)....

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s amazing that everyone knows our side has lacked pace for years but we never really tried to rectify it.
Could have sworn that some who are now decrying our lack of pace previously argued that nobody can run faster than a kicked footy, that footy iq>pace, that Diesel, Mitchell, Cunners are all slow so what about that huh?, and so on and so forth.

Could have sworn that some who are now decrying our lack of pace previously argued that nobody can run faster than a kicked footy, that footy iq>pace, that Diesel, Mitchell, Cunners are all slow so what about that huh?, and so on and so forth.

Yeah but they need to get from contest to contest

Turns out he's actually quite good when played exclusively in the midfield. Whoda thought it?
He played a very good game today especially in the last quarter. It seems that he gets better as the game goes on. 3 missed handballs didn't help but keep letting him play in the VFL for a few more games and then l cant wait for him to play in the seniors with Powell, Lazarro and l would even like Ford to start getting a game.. The futures looking very good for us...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back