Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - 20d/12 tackles in VFL vs Brisbane - returns to the team vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne Goal GIF by NMFCOfficial

I'll be filthy if he is sub.

The midfield mix isn't working at the moment, and we are putting too much workload into Wardlaw. Rotate more heavily and get Simpkin and Phillips in there.
Play Wardlaw in the forward pocket. Tell him is only job is to run like a border collie on cocaine and get 10 tackles inside 50.

Move Jy up the ball (like the name teams suggest) and play Will and Luke with Powell rotating off the HF line.

Might be a bit alarmist. Is it possible he’s working on very specific things in the VFL? Obviously Clarko is not infallible but every one complained about Dawson last year and then he came in and hasn’t looked back. Ford you could say similar: long VFL apprenticeship, comes in and at the level immediately.

Now Philips is a different proposition but I doubt he’s been written off. I think they are giving him every chance to actually hold his spot when he comes in. He needs to be fitter and blowing up in the third quarter doesn’t help a team that’s already shithouse.

Also: the season is five rounds old. We need to develop team cohesion, not just individual players.
That would work if the match selection hadn’t named a bunch of plodders with more holes in their game than Swiss cheese over the last five weeks.

Might be a bit alarmist. Is it possible he’s working on very specific things in the VFL? Obviously Clarko is not infallible but every one complained about Dawson last year and then he came in and hasn’t looked back. Ford you could say similar: long VFL apprenticeship, comes in and at the level immediately.

Now Philips is a different proposition but I doubt he’s been written off. I think they are giving him every chance to actually hold his spot when he comes in. He needs to be fitter and blowing up in the third quarter doesn’t help a team that’s already shithouse.

Also: the season is five rounds old. We need to develop team cohesion, not just individual players.
Alarmist? Big Footy? Never.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Play Wardlaw in the forward pocket. Tell him is only job is to run like a border collie on cocaine and get 10 tackles inside 50.

Move Jy up the ball (like the name teams suggest) and play Will and Luke with Powell rotating off the HF line.

Wardlaw's not playing. He's being "managed". FWIW, I absolutely agree with that decision, it's a long season and the way he plays it's good to give him the occasional rest.

And I'm pumped about WilPhil. Really hope he maximises his chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back