Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - 20d/12 tackles in VFL vs Brisbane - does he come in vs Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just alerted to these results on the draft board.

View attachment 1281968

For comparison, Finn ran it in 11.34 earlier this year.

View attachment 1281971
Great pickup GR.
Keep in mind Mahony and Will heat results were not the final and were from u16- Y11 & Y10 season not Y12 which Finn’s time was from,
Both our lads have been consistently quick athletes during their junior years.

He's a hot boi. Looks like Miles Teller.

Will Phillips = Whiplash

That makes Noble this bloke then..

original-jk-simmons-whiplash-interview-main-43-jpg-c62e9629.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At training yesterday there was a fairly basic delivery into the forward 50 drill. Lots of blokes were going for the showy drilled **** high lace out pass.

Will was practising those dinky little pop kicks he does, where he puts the ball in the best place for the marking forward and then the onus is on them to get to the ball.

If they can, they either mark effectively unopposed or are in such a position any spoil will give away a free.

He's such a smart footballer. He's going to be the one pulling the strings and running the show.

At training yesterday there was a fairly basic delivery into the forward 50 drill. Lots of blokes were going for the showy drilled **** high lace out pass.

Will was practising those dinky little pop kicks he does, where he puts the ball in the best place for the marking forward and then the onus is on them to get to the ball.

If they can, they either mark effectively unopposed or are in such a position any spoil will give away a free.

He's such a smart footballer. He's going to be the one pulling the strings and running the show.
I agree. He's going to the puppet master pulling the strings. Such a smart footballer who'll guide his team mates through a game. Telling blokes where he wants them to be & putting the pill there.
The highlight reel stuff might be more impressive for others, but rewind the tapes an extra 3-5 seconds and he'll be the one setting up the play.

I agree. He's going to the puppet master pulling the strings. Such a smart footballer who'll guide his team mates through a game. Telling blokes where he wants them to be & putting the pill there.
The highlight reel stuff might be more impressive for others, but rewind the tapes an extra 3-5 seconds and he'll be the one setting up the play.

Mate, remember how when Jono Brown burst on to the scene it was obvious he just mimicked everything Carey did?

Same with Will and Sam Mitchell. He has lots of the same jerky changing direction movements, he can always see a move ahead, he plays the percentages so well. If he's got the ball we're hardly ever losing possesion.

And Buddy and Cyril and Roughy were the "showreel" from that great Hawthorn side, but it was Sam Mitchell that ran it, he set everything up.

Thing I love about Will's style is it implicitly trusts his teammates and brings them into the game.

"The connector" is a well recognised role now, but I reckon Will is that "glue" player in the midfield.

Thing I love about Will's style is it implicitly trusts his teammates and brings them into the game.

"The connector" is a well recognised role now, but I reckon Will is that "glue" player in the midfield.
Maybe he'll be our Reggie Jackson, albiet a more humble version.

The straw that stirs the drink.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Maybe he'll be our Reggie Jackson, albiet a more humble version.

The straw that stirs the drink.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Sorry I only watch real sports.

Interesting, where do you see Powell in this equation.
mind you before the injury, we had senior players starting to seek Tom out, as a get of jail free card. As he just simply knew, where everyone was and chose the right option.

Interesting, where do you see Powell in this equation.
mind you before the injury, we had senior players starting to seek Tom out, as a get of jail free card. As he just simply knew, where everyone was and chose the right option.

Powell is very similar, but seems to play on instinct more.

Will is far more willing to backwards to sideways to maintain possession as a strategy.

WIFI maybe?..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back