Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - 20d/12 tackles in VFL vs Brisbane - does he come in vs Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Powell is very similar, but seems to play on instinct more.

Will is far more willing to backwards to sideways to maintain possession as a strategy.
Powell's vision and IQ is ridiculous. He's playing chess and the opposition are playing checkers.

Will is a death by a thousand cuts man.

I reckon in five years time we're going to be having a hard time working out who is our best mid, a bit like who was the best out of Voss, Black, Aka, Lappin, Ashcroft and Power as they all had different strengths.

Powell's vision and IQ is ridiculous. He's playing chess and the opposition are playing checkers.

Will is a death by a thousand cuts man.

I reckon in five years time we're going to be having a hard time working out who is our best mid, a bit like who was the best out of Voss, Black, Aka, Lappin, Ashcroft and Power as they all had different strengths.

Agreed, its like Will and Tom arrive at the same destination but by very different routes.

Maybe he'll be our Reggie Jackson, albiet a more humble version.

The straw that stirs the drink.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Which version of Reggie Jackson? Baseball Hall of Famer and 14 times All Star Reggie Jackson OR Angels right fielder that attempted to assassinate the Queen?

Which version of Reggie Jackson? Baseball Hall of Famer and 14 times All Star Reggie Jackson OR Angels right fielder that attempted to assassinate the Queen?

Either works. Although, it might be prudent for Will to sit tight on option B.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I agree. He's going to the puppet master pulling the strings. Such a smart footballer who'll guide his team mates through a game. Telling blokes where he wants them to be & putting the pill there.
The highlight reel stuff might be more impressive for others, but rewind the tapes an extra 3-5 seconds and he'll be the one setting up the play.

Reminds me of the great Cam Mooney who in his ninth season kicked more than 28 goals for the first time in his career and was suddenly a "star".

Went to a final and Geelong streamed straight out of the middle time after time and kicked the ball to a spot which Cam then ran to and managed to mark.

When you throw a frisbee, the dog generally doesn't lead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he actually tackles….
Not sure I have seen him give it a good hoof tho, every kick, admittedly effective, is that 10 20 30 metre chip

Yes he actually tackles….
Not sure I have seen him give it a good hoof tho, every kick, admittedly effective, is that 10 20 30 metre chip
Watchinh him through juniors he was never a penetrating kick, he placed/weights his kicks to his team mates advantage which I think it AFL level is more dangerous. Very smart team orientated playe. Hard runner and brilliant at ground level with his clean hands and low centre of gravity. Will be a gun you can rely on, has always been incredibly consistent. Also a leader, really look forward to watching him develop

What game did he do the over the head backward kick to anderson in the forward 50?

Any in particular?
Carlton and West Coast games. What stands out is that those games were completely riddled with unforced errors but I can't recall Will Phillips making any. He didn't get a ton of the footy either but there were no clangers, he digs in bloody hard and he's an extremely tough tackler. Size and Endurance are coming. Watch this space.

Carlton and West Coast games. What stands out is that those games were completely riddled with unforced errors but I can't recall Will Phillips making any. He didn't get a ton of the footy either but there were no clangers, he digs in bloody hard and he's an extremely tough tackler. Size and Endurance are coming. Watch this space.
Underrated moment in the WC game is that kick to larkey that Zurhaar mops up in the 3rd that starts our bit push into the last break.

A bit of the terminator in this kid. He doesn't make many mistakes, he hits hard and looks pretty relentless. I can see him being a scary proposition that will just power through games in a couple of seasons.

He was so clean in the wet in that third quarter against the Weagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back