Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - 20d/12 tackles in VFL vs Brisbane - returns to the team vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Could do a prequel back to Hird’s playing days when he first fell in love with doctor ageless, where they would spend the days injecting each other with performance enhancing drugs and made crazy drug fuelled love in the evenings.

Jim and a few mates abused me post 1996 grand final. He was renting a shitty weatherboard in Church st. Parkville. I lived 75 metres away in Manningham st. I partied at Arden st.till late, walked down Melrose, crossed Flemington, into Church. Few * flogs drinking on the porch gave me some stick. Told 'em they were shyte, flipped the bird and doffed my NMFC cap. Great night ! 👍

Why would we trade a guy who loves the club and is shaping as a top 3 player in the comp in a few years.

You guys should trade McGrath imo.

You'll likely find a player just as good if not better with the late 2nd you get for him.

Yeah when you look at the 2016 draft McGrath isn't even top 10 anymore if I were to choose now.

Makes for horrible reading if a * fan.

Yeah when you look at the 2016 draft McGrath isn't even top 10 anymore if I were to choose now.

Makes for horrible reading if a * fan.

He's a good player and we could use his hardness and smarts across half back.

But you wouldn't be trading anything more than a 2nd for him.

Meh. Handy type but I don't think he's that good, when looking the draft there are a fair few i'd have instead.

Taranto and McLuggage streets ahead of him.

Even Ainsworth (boo!) starting to go past as Gold Coast rise.

Taranto and McLuggage streets ahead of him.

Even Ainsworth (boo!) starting to go past as Gold Coast rise.

Easily.

Mate i'd also have Shai Bolton, Tom Stewart and (now matured) Tim English ahead of McGrath.

McGrath is a solid player, but like most drafts the number one has been a very poor decision in hindsight.

He ain’t a midfielder and playing off half back he’s down the pecking order or they’re trying to get out of him?
Although he really could’ve been an AA back there, something we’re in desperately need of.

but it would be the impossible sell trying to get him across.

As my cousin who’s an Essendon supporter and followers junior footy closely told me when I asked him about likely drafting McGrath at pick 1, “Don’t like it. You don’t use pick 1 on back flankers”.

As my cousin who’s an Essendon supporter and followers junior footy closely told me when I asked him about likely drafting McGrath at pick 1, “Don’t like it. You don’t use pick 1 on back flankers”.
It’s one of the most important roles in the modern game, so many attacks get set up that way.. you’d be happy taking him pick 1 he he fulfilled his potential.

but he kinda fallen into the trap of where is his best position. He is currently no man’s land as an ok role player.

Although he really could’ve been an AA back there, something we’re in desperately need of.

Nah.

McGrath is nowhere near an elite player and i'm not just saying that because he plays for the injectors.

He is a good player. That's it.

Jy went much after - i'd still prefer Jy to be honest despite his skills dropping off this year.

Christ Larkey went at number 10956 and i'm not sure if i'd prefer him in front as well!!

Nah.

McGrath is nowhere near an elite player and i'm not just saying that because he plays for the injectors.

He is a good player. That's it.

Jy went much after - i'd actually prefer Jy to be honest.

Christ Larkey went at number 10956 and i'm not sure if i'd prefer him in front as well!!
??
You might’ve misread but I certainly said ‘couldve’,
I’m not saying he’s a world beater, he seems like a bit of a wasted talent at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s one of the most important roles in the modern game, so many attacks get set up that way.. you’d be happy taking him pick 1 he he fulfilled his potential.

but he kinda fallen into the trap of where is his best position. He is currently no man’s land as an ok role player.

He’d only be 24ish so has another 10 years.

He’d be top 10 imo.

McCluggage
Taranto

Are the two stand outs so far. Then throw a blanket over Ainsworth, Simpkin, McGrath, Mitch Lewis, Larkey, Darcy Cameron, English

Tom Stewart is better than all those extras you mention, so is Shai Bolton who is a gun.

Sean Darcy not mentioned. Florent is also very handy.

Easily.

Mate i'd also have Shai Bolton, Tom Stewart and (now matured) Tim English ahead of McGrath.

McGrath is a solid player, but like most drafts the number one has been a very poor decision in hindsight.

Agree. We were very lucky with JHF in having a clear standout FOOTBALLER who had already shown he can handle playing against men.

Too many picks 1 are taken on potential or what they'll hopefully grow into.

He's not a cat.

In his first game he ran flat out for 30m to hit a contest and speed, dived to the bottom of the pack and won the ball.

I think people are mixing up their hopes and dreams for this kid with the reality of the situation.

Nobody is saying he can’t make it.

I find it challenging lying to myself, at this point he is not a pick 3’s arsehole, and given the entire team who selected him are now not with the club, some of you peanuts (not you ferbs) need to pull your head out of your ass.

Our recruiter literally quit on the back of criticism of this very selection. Hello.

It isn’t going to make or break our rebuild, but gee whiz, he is half as good as Chad Warner.

A good Sherpa if we are lucky.

I think people are mixing up their hopes and dreams for this kid with the reality of the situation.

I find it challenging lying to myself, at this point he is not a pick 3’s arsehole, and given the entire team who selected him are now not with the club, some of you peanuts (not you ferbs) need to pull your head out of your ass.

Our recruiter literally quit on the back of criticism of this very selection. Hello.

It isn’t going to make or break our rebuild, but gee whiz, he is half as good as Chad Warner.

Congrats, worst take yet.

Whilst I don't agree with this it doesn't hurt to have a range of views on here.

I'll repeat what I said pre-2020 draft when it looked inevitable we'd end up with Hollands (with crows taking McDonald) - 'I'm going hate to watcher Denver Grainer-Barrass and Will Phillips slide to other sides and become guns for them'.

They were the blokes I thought just wouldn't be sexy enough for top 3 but would become adored by their eventual home.

I'm still holding the hope that Will will (ahem) be the type of player who completely justifies their draft position in retros done years from now.

Whilst I don't agree with this it doesn't hurt to have a range of views on here.

Diversity is fine sure, I love different opinions, but KC some of that in that post is just utter nonsense.

Borderline insulting to Phillips.

If in 3 years are we still here, sure go at it being a bad pick etc, but it's just his second year and he's been unwell......

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back