Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Gallery150121-10.jpg

Gallery150121-12.jpg

FFS, the calipers must bounce off him!!!

I hope he's smashing the carbs as part of his pre-training/match regimen.

So when i thought that trainer was Will I wasn't that far off the mark. He looks strong.

That body looks like it will be ready for a decent haul of games in his debut season.

Krakoueraddict

Team Captain
May 8, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Green = Elite at role
Blue = Proven performer at AFL level
Yellow = Will be elite if adding week in week out consistency.
Brown = Fringe experience
Black = Unproven at AFL level midfield.

Pure inside mids: Cunners, JZ, Jed, Tyson.

Inside/outside mids: Jy, LDU, Dumont, Hall, Phillips, Powell, Lazzaro.

Pure outside: Polec, Scott.

Flankers who can hopefully rotate through (I see all these blokes as inside/outside with the exception of Mahony who's pure inside.): LMac, Thomas, W Walker, Stephenson, Zurhaar, Bonar, Mahony, Taylor, Hayden, Perez.

Obviously stacked for experience on the Inside roles then pretty thin through those Inside/Outside roles. If Jy and LDU can continue their upward trajectory and Phillips can have an impact early on then we're finally starting to balance up our midfield. If we could have both Jy and LDU closer to the green than the blue by years end with a couple of Phillips, Powell and Lazzaro in the yellow along with a handful of the Flankers then we're looking in a better state mids wise than I can remember in a long time.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Just think how ******* good it would be if he made a similar impact to Rowell...

He won't be too far off Rowell's first year...........depending on what the do with him.

I dunno if Rowell was competing with the quality that Wilful will encounter at North either. Hugh Greenwood, Dave (hobbled) Swallow & Touk Miller don't exactly scream Cunners, Simpkin, Higgins, Anderson & the looming LDU.

He won't be too far off Rowell's first year...........depending on what the do with him.

I dunno if Rowell was competing with the quality that Wilful will encounter at North either. Hugh Greenwood, Dave (hobbled) Swallow & Touk Miller don't exactly scream Cunners, Simpkin, Higgins, Anderson & the looming LDU.
Mate, why did you include Higgo in this list?
Yes, on paper GC inside mids didn't look too flash, yet in reality they had a decent season, and smashed us out of the park, even without Rowell

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Mate, why did you include Higgo in this list?
Yes, on paper GC inside mids didn't look too flash, yet in reality they had a decent season, and smashed us out of the park, even without Rowell

My point still stands.

Our full compliment of starting mids would not have seen Rowell get the centre square game time last year if he was at North.

I can't see Wilful getting the same amount of CS minutes. Hell, he might not even play seniors in round 1.

My point still stands.

Our full compliment of starting mids would not have seen Rowell get the centre square game time last year if he was at North.

I can't see Wilful getting the same amount of CS minutes. Hell, he might not even play seniors in round 1.
You might be right, but I reckon you're overrating the midfield of the team that has won 1 game since round 3, which was against total rabble, just slightly

Last edited:

You might want to take another look. They had 5 wins (2 more than us in what I would say is our worst season in 2 decades). Decent is pretty generous in some ways given how much of it was played in QLD...

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You might be right, but I reckon you're overrating the midfield of the team that has won 1 game since round 3, which was against total rubble, just slightly

How can you go by last years WL record when you look at this?

FFS, we tanked from the halfway mark mate.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Am 100 per cent sure if there'd been under 18s footy in Victoria in 2020, he would have been stand out number 1 pick.

This thread on the night of the first praccy game-will look like peak hour flinders street station

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Do we need to be worried that Phillips might get stuck at HF or wing instead of inside midfield?

I don't reckon he'll get "stuck" there for too long mate.

The notion of wing has my mind ticking over, but I suspect it's just rotations in order to ease him in.

Again, the RS would be nice, but my hunch is that he won't see the centre square minutes that Rowell gets.

Back