Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - 20d/12 tackles in VFL vs Brisbane - does he come in vs Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, he'll get time on ball when ready and needed. Besides, the current game is so congested that half forwards regularly end up around contested stoppage situations anyway.

It's definitely a forward half requirement for the position now.

My prediction is that he’ll play 15+ games this year mainly because he is such a good two way runner and because his body is readymade. He’ll get plenty of genuine midfield time.

From what I can see with Noble I think the days of having only 4-5 players attend the centre is over. He’ll rotate plenty of players through there I reckon.

My prediction is that he’ll play 15+ games this year mainly because he is such a good two way runner and because his body is readymade. He’ll get plenty of genuine midfield time.

From what I can see with Noble I think the days of having only 4-5 players attend the centre is over. He’ll rotate plenty of players through there I reckon.

What is Noble's history at clubs and young players senior game time?

If you look at Noble and Brisbane (2016-2020), then Rayner (63/65), McCluggage (82/87), Hipwood (94/109) & Berry (73/84), shows he keeps them on the park once they are selected, and I would guess that Will is as fit or fitter than any of them.

What is Noble's history at clubs and young players senior game time?

If you look at Noble and Brisbane (2016-2020), then Rayner (63/65), McCluggage (82/87), Hipwood (94/109) & Berry (73/84), shows he keeps them on the park once they are selected, and I would guess that Will is as fit or fitter than any of them.
100% - and there must be some synergies between how the 2 clubs are/were positioned upon his arrival as well... A few old/wise heads, not so many in the 50-150 games range & plenty of young kids. Along with an appetite to hit the draft as hard as they can, as quickly as they can.

I've got no preconceived concept of how many games we can win this year, but I'm definitely looking forward to a bit more excitement & dare in our football.

100% - and there must be some synergies between how the 2 clubs are/were positioned upon his arrival as well... A few old/wise heads, not so many in the 50-150 games range & plenty of young kids. Along with an appetite to hit the draft as hard as they can, as quickly as they can.

I've got no preconceived concept of how many games we can win this year, but I'm definitely looking forward to a bit more excitement & dare in our football.

Well, the proviso is that they do have to be good enough to hold a spot.

McCluggage & Berry are no doubt, Hipwood got games because they didn't have a choice, and Rayner has been gifted games as a number one pick, but in his defence he's been bolted down in arguably the hardest position in modern footy. It's more a fitness issue with him, and we also have to factor how well he would develop playing in the Queensland reserves grade, where I suspect he would flat track quite easily. If Rayner was at a Victorian club, then I suspect he would have played a lot of VFL footy.

No problem with this statement. It's interesting how much the new draftees are being spruiked. I don't know that we've seen it before in regards to the a draftee group. We now need games to determine if its media spin, or if they really are as exciting as they're being made out to be.

Personally, I'm looking forward to it.

Again, the RS would be nice, but my hunch is that he won't see the centre square minutes that Rowell gets.

The RS will be really nice and if Hawthorn gets the wooden spoon then I'm going to Disneyland.

No problem with this statement. It's interesting how much the new draftees are being spruiked. I don't know that we've seen it before in regards to the a draftee group. We now need games to determine if its media spin, or if they really are as exciting as they're being made out to be.

Personally, I'm looking forward to it.
Do you think the draftees are getting spruked more because of Noble and CO or because they are actually decent players?
Norths drafts have jumped in quality since the new list management/ draft team has come in?

McCluggage & Berry are no doubt, Hipwood got games because they didn't have a choice, and Rayner has been gifted games as a number one pick, but in his defence he's been bolted down in arguably the hardest position in modern footy. It's more a fitness issue with him, and we also have to factor how well he would develop playing in the Queensland reserves grade, where I suspect he would flat track quite easily. If Rayner was at a Victorian club, then I suspect he would have played a lot of VFL footy.
Its a good point and will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Assuming North ends up in the bottom quarter of the ladder and therefore loses more than it wins do you as a coach / selector consider the broader long term structure or the individual performance when picking the team week to week. Would for example a down on form Phillips in a down on form team "learn" more back in the magoos or in the seniors?? Its a similar question to when you blood them...if the body is ready then get them in there or let them build their confidence and craft in the VFL?? With a relatively young team Im keen to see how the coaches manage the ebbs and flows that we will undoubtedly encounter this year.

Its a good point and will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Assuming North ends up in the bottom quarter of the ladder and therefore loses more than it wins do you as a coach / selector consider the broader long term structure or the individual performance when picking the team week to week. Would for example a down on form Phillips in a down on form team "learn" more back in the magoos or in the seniors??

You want me to extrapolate hypothetical's from your hypothetical?

Okay.

Yes.

Its a similar question to when you blood them...if the body is ready then get them in there or let them build their confidence and craft in the VFL?? With a relatively young team Im keen to see how the coaches manage the ebbs and flows that we will undoubtedly encounter this year.

If their body is ready and they are good enough players, then the only reason I see them playing VFL is to learn structures, otherwise they are probably destined for delisting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell ya what, that second photo highlights a fantastic physical strength that will serve him well throughout his career. He has a low centre of gravity, wide hips and super strong legs that when combined with his excellent burst pace, inside agility, superb hands and natural understanding of the game will make him lethal in the contest.

When I plot out our 2021 side I don't automatically include him because he's not ingrained in my thinking yet.

Which makes it a bonus when I have to slot him in alongside Cunnington, Simpkin, LDU et al.
First bounce of Round 1 - who’ve you got starting in the middle & on the wings?

First bounce of Round 1 - who’ve you got starting in the middle & on the wings?
Midfield is easy: Goldstein - Cunnington - Simpkin - Davies-Uniacke.

The wings are a bit harder. If you were going with players who have credits in the bank and probably deserve first crack, it will be Polec and Dumont.

Something to consider too is that Noble has spoken on a couple of occasions now about the need to have more depth and be more versatile with our midfield. He's name dropped Hayden, Thomas, Zurhaar, Stephenson, Mahony and even McDonald as guys who might have a role to play through there and as a result it wouldn't surprise me if we go with three mids on the bench. So if those 5 mids I mentioned earlier do start then Phillips will be competing with Anderson, Scott, Hayden, Hall as well as the likes of Mahony for those depth midfield spots in the 22.

Need to see pre season games but from training Will is as close a Rd1 lock as I've seen in a draftee
Yep. Noble said in the interview with Twomey that there's currently 32 names on the board and he doesn't care about prior performance or reputation. It wouldn't surprise me if we do see a couple of surprises come round 1 that might be foreshadowed in the practice matches.

Only reason I'd say no to Frog is the lack of any meaningful preseason sessions
Yeah, I did hesitate before putting him in. But i think he said in that interview the other day that he's back in training in about a week's time. If he's fit I think he'll get first crack, and the one thing you can say about Frog is that he'll be nothing but diligent in getting his body right and as fit as he can by the time the season starts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back