Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - 20d/12 tackles in VFL vs Brisbane - returns to the team vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading about JHF's lack of professionalism makes you appreciate this kid even more - literally said no to a Bali trip with his mates so he could put extras in to be ready for 2023.

This is the kind of character you want in your club because not only will he get the absolute most out of himself, but he will drag his teammates along with him.

It's also a healthy reminder for those who get into the club for not wanting to gamble on every "bad boy of the moment" who comes up in draft or trade/DFA discussions.

Putting aside a hopefully excellent trade return, we just invested 12 months into the NUMBER 1 PICK yet still got burnt because of a lack of character.

There's a good reason our club (and others) give guys like Jack Mahony and Kayne Turner every chance to succeed over much flashier kids with major question marks of their professionalism.

Jack Mahony or Nathan Hrovat don't make it and they're still likely to have impacted the environment positively. Conversely we're getting a sense of the team's reaction to someone bailing out who's contributed far less to the club.

It's also a healthy reminder for those who get into the club for not wanting to gamble on every "bad boy of the moment" who comes up in draft or trade/DFA discussions.

Putting aside a hopefully excellent trade return, we just invested 12 months into the NUMBER 1 PICK yet still got burnt because of a lack of character.

There's a good reason our club (and others) give guys like Jack Mahony and Kayne Turner every chance to succeed over much flashier kids with major question marks of their professionalism.

Jack Mahony or Nathan Hrovat don't make it and they're still likely to have impacted the environment positively. Conversely we're getting a sense of the team's reaction to someone bailing out who's contributed far less to the club.
i wouldnt call turner a bust, he just hit his ceiling relatively early on. prolly in the prelim. and taken 25 in the rookie draft a pretty good speculative pick, Mahony taken 2nd round in the main draft not so much, Hrovat pretty well cost nothing, pick swap with footscray iirc. iam all for speculative picks but not with our 2nd rounders. ( and fwiw its not mahonys fault he was taken that high up)

Guys like them getting games has taken us from top 8 to last. That's not a positive in my book.

the root cause is so many busts with higher picks.
Exactly.

We saw a 50kg Turner have a useful impact in a solid team. The problem was expecting that a fringe player (players) would automatically become a critical player just by virtue of getting older. I still maintain that any average player can play a valuable role in a top 4 team, but you can't rely on them as the base to build a young team around.

Guys like them getting games has taken us from top 8 to last. That's not a positive in my book.

I'm talking about the net outcome to the team/club of strong but less talented characters vs the more disruptive ones.

Remember David King saying Daniel Motlop used to take up 90% of Laidley's time to manage (or something to that effect).

Corn seems to have a fair slice of humble pie headed his way Re. his assessment of Will, gunna be fun watching him chow down
Look, if Cornholio dedicated an entire segment to it on national television whilst lip syncing to the Men at Work song "It's a Mistake", then I might have some respect for the guy.

It might even get the image out of my head that he looks like that blonde wooden Thunderbird guy from that 60s show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

literally no one i want to succeed more than this bloke. grabbing the jumper, great character, good leader, talented footballer. the list goes on

but also the completely undeserved s**t he's copped from cowards like Corn through absolutely no fault of his own.

I hope he comes out next year and ******* brains it

literally no one i want to succeed more than this bloke. grabbing the jumper, great character, good leader, talented footballer. the list goes on

but also the completely undeserved s**t he's copped from cowards like Corn through absolutely no fault of his own.

I hope he comes out next year and ******* brains it

This. In his juniors vision is manic at the contest yet thinks quick and has neat skills. Off-field comes across as a really rounded, considered kid. A good character for any environment, not just football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back