Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - 20d/12 tackles in VFL vs Brisbane - does he come in vs Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the point in flogging him in the AFL? I just reckon it's a failure from a development perspective.

I don't reckon he will have confidence issues from this, as he seems a very level headed kid who knows where he's at, but surely getting his hands on some footy and learning how to direct traffic is the major aim right now. That's basically what he's going to be doing for the next 12-15 years anyway.

Especially since he hasn't played in his preferred position for 18 months where he get confident and at the top of his game.

I think it was right to give him a burst but lets rest him, get him firing at his best form and get him back

Our VFL sucks with so many injuries though so he'll be carrying a load down there too:) Maybe play him with Tyson and bring Will Walker up.

Pretty simple, he’s playing 1s because we are injury depleted. When Jed & Dumont return, he will get an opportunity to dominate midfield at VFL level.

I don’t buy this narrative that these games at AFL level aren’t a positive for him though. He gets to learn the pace of AFL level and will benefit him when he does go back to the VFL. I’d rather him play forward pocket then Dom Tyson.

Seems vanilla for pick 3. I was expecting more but not sure he has many tricks in the bag. I see other top 10 players from last year's crop who look so much better than Phillips so not sure what the recruiters saw in him, considering we only spoke to him once last year. Reeks of a panic selection.

Seems vanilla for pick 3. I was expecting more but not sure he has many tricks in the bag. I see other top 10 players from last year's crop who look so much better than Phillips so not sure what the recruiters saw in him, considering we only spoke to him once last year. Reeks of a panic selection.
I don’t see it either . But that’s okay, I won’t be bagging him

You were a great actor Frank, but you’re missing the mark completely here. A panic selection would have been the darling of the masses, McDonald. We saw what we liked in Will and took him. He’s flashed a couple instances that are quite special and unique to our list.

You were a great actor Frank, but you’re missing the mark completely here. A panic selection would have been the darling of the masses, McDonald. We saw what we liked in Will and took him. He’s flashed a couple instances that are quite special and unique to our list.

How am I missing the mark here? Based on your prediction? :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Cunnington averaged 12 disposals across his first five games; Lachie Neale 10. Far out some people go early.

It's hard to get an early read on Will.

Yes he does look a little vanilla in the sense that you can't immediately see (like Powell) and instant elite skill set and with a Pick 3 all supporters will naturally look for elite traits.

We have seen glimpses with Will with 2 very nice goals, good ball handling and composure under pressure.

I don't usually agree with the idea that you need 20 games to get a read on a junior player - but in Will's case I think that might be the case.

Yes he isn't good enough for AFL at this stage - and we have a few in that category - but I do think he should stay in the ones for at least the next 4 week set.

Once a few players return then - depending on form - he would go back to the VFL and show elite traits at that level before returing to the AFL.

It's hard to get an early read on Will.

Yes he does look a little vanilla in the sense that you can't immediately see (like Powell) and instant elite skill set and with a Pick 3 all supporters will naturally look for elite traits.

We have seen glimpses with Will with 2 very nice goals, good ball handling and composure under pressure.

I don't usually agree with the idea that you need 20 games to get a read on a junior player - but in Will's case I think that might be the case.

Yes he isn't good enough for AFL at this stage - and we have a few in that category - but I do think he should stay in the ones for at least the next 4 week set.

Once a few players return then - depending on form - he would go back to the VFL and show elite traits at that level before returing to the AFL.

Plus the fact he’s hit teammates with kicks over distance and they haven’t had to break stride.

It took Cunners until his 4th season before he really established himself.

Also find myself comparing him to early Cunners too. Both high selections and drafted to be contested inside midfielders - it's a role that's very difficult to learn and acclimatise to at AFL level in terms of pace, positioning and movement. If you go back and read the Cunnington thread for the first few years, quite a few people were all over him and wondering if he'd ever make it. Now look at him - our best midfielder in quite some time.

Give Will time - he's showing the signs and he's got the ability.

People are going far too early on him. He wouldn't be at AFL level right now if we had a healthy list - he'd be in the VFL getting better and better every week. He's going to be great.

I'm writing him off as a pick 3. He will be an okay player but selected way too high.

mid-2023:

"I'm just glad he proved me wrong."

"I always knew he was good, just worried that we paid too much, but obviously we didn't"

"You have to admit, my assessment of his first 3 games was right - who knew he would improve so much?", etc. etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back