Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - 20d/12 tackles in VFL vs Brisbane - does he come in vs Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes.

That's literally what our head of football Brady Rawlings decided.

Hmmm, who to believe, Brady Rawlings, or MAIL dreamed up by some internet dudes lol.

The medical department can definitively judge what Brown’s knee is going to be like in three years, but can’t manage their way out of a paper bag wrt player availability?

As LTK said, I’m sure the knee had a part to play, but it sure a s**t wasn’t the only thing that had him out the door.

If it was the only issue, they’d have kept him.

The medical department can definitively judge what Brown’s knee is going to be like in three years, but can’t manage their way out of a paper bag wrt player availability?

As LTK said, I’m sure the knee had a part to play, but it sure a sh*t wasn’t the only thing that had him out the door.

If it was the only issue, they’d have kept him.

Whatever, this is simply factually incorrect.

You can believe MAIL from BigFooty if you wish.

I'll stop here, it is ruining the Will Philips thread.

And if he were 24 again right now, on track to kick our first tonne since Malcolm Blight, we would be giving him all the time he needs for whatever off field sh*t he wants to do.

It was his knee.

See above. Yep, being on track to kick 100 would indicate his off field s**t isn't impacting upon football being his number one priority in the workplace.

Whatever, this is simply factually incorrect.

You can believe MAIL from BigFooty if you wish.

I'll stop here, it is ruining the Will Philips thread.

Some mail on BigFooty is wrong, of course, but some is corroborated by solid outside (BigFooty, not the club) sources.

But I'll stop here as well.

Thought Philips actually went OK for a debut in a shitty game.

He'll be better for the run.

Showed some good traits.

Is a little shorter than I expected. Was dwarfed by most of not all of the dogs mids.

Ben was great at some of the basics and failed at others, one simple rule as a key forward, you don’t let your direct opponent out mark you..
nothing to do with knee, outside beliefs, yada yada. We were going through a rebuild and we needed to find more rounded footballers, that we could build a game plan around. Unfortunately Ben wasn’t that man, so we move on, no hard feelings.

Last edited:
Thought Philips actually went OK for a debut in a shitty game.

He'll be better for the run.
I did too. He hit targets and was not overwhelmed. He hit packs hard and even put his body on the line. A perfect replacement for cunners. I didnt watch live (first home game ive missed since I can remember) so I couldnt grasp how quick he is. Would have been good to see if he was as quick as LDU as others suggest

I did too. He hit targets and was not overwhelmed. He hit packs hard and even put his body on the line. A perfect replacement for cunners. I didnt watch live (first home game ive missed since I can remember) so I couldnt grasp how quick he is. Would have been good to see if he was as quick as LDU as others suggest

He doesn't appear to be as quick as LDU, but not as slow as Cunners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some mail on BigFooty is wrong, of course, but some is corroborated by solid outside (BigFooty, not the club) sources.

But I'll stop here as well.

I think a balanced way to put it would be there was certainly some friction off field, and his age/knee/awful form meant the club wasn't prepared to overlook it, particularly after his manager tried to hold the club to ransom over the contract.

Why anyone would be comparing Victoria draftees to kids that played a full season in 2020 right now is beyond me, too. There's a reason Powell has adapted quicker and it's not because he's more talented than Will.

Showed some good traits.

Is a little shorter than I expected. Was dwarfed by most of not all of the dogs mids.
He’s a good 5 inches taller than Caleb Daniel. Phillips and Rowell are about the same high, 1.78 if I recall correctly. When you are in an under ball winner, height wont matter too much

I think a balanced way to put it would be there was certainly some friction off field, and his age/knee/awful form meant the club wasn't prepared to overlook it.

Why anyone would be comparing Victoria draftees to kids that played a full season in 2020 right now is beyond me, too. There's a reason Powell has adapted quicker and it's not because he's more talented than Will.

The voice of reason yet again, TD.

Ben was great at some of the basics and failed at others, one simple rule as a key forward, you don’t let your direct opponent out mark you..
nothing to do with knee, outside beliefs, yada yada. We were going through a rebuild and we needed to find more rounded footballers, that we could build a game plan around. Unfortunately Ben wasn’t that man, so we move on, no hard feelings.
Off topic, last one from me. If you told me we could swap Ben for Stepho, I would have in a heartbeat

He’s a good 5 inches taller than Caleb Daniel. Phillips and Rowell are about the same high, 1.78 if I recall correctly. When you are in an under ball winner, height wont matter too much

Caleb Daniel is a seagull who teams need to learn to exploit.

Smart footballer though.

Caleb Daniel is a seagull who teams need to learn to exploit.

Smart footballer though.

At his size, he can only be a seagull. But as you point out, being a smart footballer with elite disposal skills makes him a very effective seagull.

I agree with the poster from a couple of days ago who said LDU should have just run through him rather than trying to go around. I reckon teams should start doing this - telling players to run straight through Daniel - and he'll be less effective as the games go on.

At his size, he can only be a seagull. But as you point out, being a smart footballer with elite disposal skills makes him a very effective seagull.

I agree with the poster from a couple of days ago who said LDU should have just run through him rather than trying to go around. I reckon teams should start doing this - telling players to run straight through Daniel - and he'll be less effective as the games go on.
Yeh, if only LDU bounced the ball 😂 you could almost jump the hobbit and he’d be done for tripping

Remove this Banner Ad

Back