Club Legend
Feb 15, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool F.C
What will you say when he doesnt live up to pick 3? Nothing I bet

We may not say too much when Tom Powell is lighting up the league.

Let's have a look at some of the top picks behind Will to see how they're going?

McDonald - had 3 decent games, struggled then dropped.
DGB - hasn't played a game.
Hollands - who knows? injured, hasn't played a game
Nic Cox - shown a bit - but we were never going to reach for him (everyone wanted him at our second pick)
Perkins - been okay, better than Phillips? marginal.
Z. Reid - played one game - nothing too exciting.
Tanner Bruhn - shown nothing.

Let's give him a bit of time in a side who are clearly struggling, and remembering that he didn't play a game all last year.

He was rated as the top mid in our draft class for a reason, doesn't always work out that way, but we got the next best in Tom Powell who is showing A LOT (oh, someone that was able to play actual footy last season?)

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
We may not say too much when Tom Powell is lighting up the league.

Let's have a look at some of the top picks behind Will to see how they're going?

McDonald - had 3 decent games, struggled then dropped.
DGB - hasn't played a game.
Hollands - who knows? injured, hasn't played a game
Nic Cox - shown a bit - but we were never going to reach for him (everyone wanted him at our second pick)
Perkins - been okay, better than Phillips? marginal.
Z. Reid - played one game - nothing too exciting.
Tanner Bruhn - shown nothing.

Let's give him a bit of time in a side who are clearly struggling, and remembering that he didn't play a game all last year.

He was rated as the top mid in our draft class for a reason, doesn't always work out that way, but we got the next best in Tom Powell who is showing A LOT (oh, someone that was able to play actual footy last season?)

Really good.

80-100 kids come into the league every year but they’d better be guns, even though one in 100 is a consistent gun straight from go. I honestly don’t know how this league keeps afloat on duds.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't reckon any of the top picks would be questioned if they were brought in to sides that were developing properly.

However, when more than half the side around you have played less than 2 seasons of footy, it's not an easy baptism.

Folks are just starting to come around to how hideously inept this rebuild has become.

It will look far better when we get some of these injured players back. Then we can send some of these kids back with a clear idea on what’s required.

These injuries are seriously giving me the shits

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We are having issue with him.......exactly in what regards? He hasn't lit up the scene, well no s**t, it's his first few games. Messi didn't light up the scene right off the word go neither was jordan or the Don. The biggest gain this year would be Phillip establishing in the team and play for 15 games. You can't liberate france with establishing a beach head at normandy.

When the afl historians look back to 2021, it might be the season where we finished last, it was also the season when players like ldu, phillips, powell, bonar, stephenson and a whole host of others established in the team on top of the youngsters who stepped up last year.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
You can't liberate france with establishing a beach head at normandy.

I think Derm said the exact same thing Saturday night.

Anyway I can't believe an inside mid who has played three games in 19 months across the TAC Cup and AFL isn't dominating immediately.

We are having issue with him.......exactly in what regards? He hasn't lit up the scene, well no sh*t, it's his first few games. Messi didn't light up the scene right off the word go neither was jordan or the Don. The biggest gain this year would be Phillip establishing in the team and play for 15 games. You can't liberate france with establishing a beach head at normandy.

When the afl historians look back to 2021, it might be the season where we finished last, it was also the season when players like ldu, phillips, powell, bonar, stephenson and a whole host of others established in the team on top of the youngsters who stepped up last year.

Bradman averaged 51.33 after three tests and had a century and two 50s.

Jordan averaged 24.66 points 5.66 assists and 3.33 steals in his first three games and at the end of the season was 6t in MVP voting behind bird, johnson, malone, abdul jabbar and cummings.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Jordan averaged 24.66 points 5.66 assists and 3.33 steals in his first three games and at the end of the season was 6t in MVP voting behind bird, johnson, malone, abdul jabbar and cummings.
pretty sure Bradman would have played some cricket before the tests though ? was he 18 too ?

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's hard to get an early read on Will.

Yes he does look a little vanilla in the sense that you can't immediately see (like Powell) and instant elite skill set and with a Pick 3 all supporters will naturally look for elite traits.

We have seen glimpses with Will with 2 very nice goals, good ball handling and composure under pressure.

I don't usually agree with the idea that you need 20 games to get a read on a junior player - but in Will's case I think that might be the case.

Yes he isn't good enough for AFL at this stage - and we have a few in that category - but I do think he should stay in the ones for at least the next 4 week set.

Once a few players return then - depending on form - he would go back to the VFL and show elite traits at that level before returing to the AFL.
Composure is phenomenal. He hits the goal! Thats what you want. You want the ball in his hands when he’s moving inside 50. His ability to read play and find the space. That kick last week to larkey on the run toward goal. He’s s *in beauty

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nice analysis Souup. A bit off topic for the thread, but how do you see the best utilisation of Will, LDU, Simpkin, Thomas, Powell, Horne (yeah I’m counting him already ;) ) along with the vets Cunners and Jed.

It's a really hard exercise as it really depends when we're talking. Are we talking next year? 3 years from now when we're likely rising up the ladder? I'll go with 3 years from now...

These 3 have the most well-rounded traits to have an impact on ball as well as up forward:
LDU - Similar to Petracca/Bont/Martin. 65% Mid, 35% forward/wing (Has to sort out his set shot kicking because he's got everything you need to be a threat forward of centre)

Simpkin - 60% Mid, 40% forward/wing. He's the most natural forward of the midfielders we have IMO, but his defensive pressure around the ball and ability to play both outside/inside make him valuable on ball.

Thomas - 50/50. Thought he was very good on ball on the weekend but I'd have the others ahead of him.

In 3 years you'll want these 3 playing a majority of their footy as onballers:
Powell -70/30
Phillips - 80/20
Horne - 70/30. Generational midfielder in the mould of Dangerfield.

The older guys:
Jed + Cunners - 50/50. Both of these guys add something forward of the ball. Cunners could legitimately play as a goalsquare deep threat with his contested marking ability. Jed adds forward pressure that we severely lack but his foot skills may be an issue as he delivers inside 50m as a forward flanker.

They're my quick thoughts anyway. I also understand that the percentages may not add up.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
These 3 have the most well-rounded traits to have an impact on ball as well as up forward:

LDU
- Similar to Petracca/Bont/Martin. 65% Mid, 35% forward/wing (Has to sort out his set shot kicking because he's got everything you need to be a threat forward of centre)

Simpkin - 60% Mid, 40% forward/wing. He's the most natural forward of the midfielders we have IMO, but his defensive pressure around the ball and ability to play both outside/inside make him valuable on ball.

Thomas - 50/50. Thought he was very good on ball on the weekend but I'd have the others ahead of him.

This will be good. Someone hand me the popcorn.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's a really hard exercise as it really depends when we're talking. Are we talking next year? 3 years from now when we're likely rising up the ladder? I'll go with 3 years from now...

LDU - Similar to Petracca/Bont/Martin. 65% Mid, 35% forward/wing (Has to sort out his set shot kicking because he's got everything you need to be a threat forward of centre)

In 3 years you'll want these 3 playing a majority of their footy as onballers:
Powell -70/30
Phillips - 80/20
Horne - 70/30. Generational midfielder in the mould of Dangerfield.

The older guys:
Jed + Cunners - 50/50. Both of these guys add something forward of the ball. Cunners could legitimately play as a goalsquare deep threat with his contested marking ability. Jed adds forward pressure that we severely lack but his foot skills may be an issue as he delivers inside 50m as a forward flanker.

They're my quick thoughts anyway.

It's exciting when you, someone that actually watches a heap of junior footy, sets it out like that. By 2023 we will have a midfield that has a core of Cunners, Jed, Simpkin, LDU, Powell, Phillips, TT, and Horne with guys like Stepho, Bailey, and a few others pushing for time in the rotations and on a wing. Sounds pretty exciting to me and feels like we are on the right track yet there is at least one self-proclaimed expert telling everyone the rebuild has been botched. Go figure.

One question for you. It is not an overly tall midfield. Would you like to see us add a 190cm plus 90kg plus bull to that group? Kind of the successor to Cunners. If so would you rate Ned Long as someone we should look at?

Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It has only taken 82 pages, but I'm glad we're now making statistical comparisons between Will Phillips - a first year AFL player - and Michael Jordan - the greatest basketballer of all time.

He isn't getting involved that much right now, but he has a decent kick on him which puts him ahead of many others on our list in my mind.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
we’re going to need to give him a full year and another pre-season before we get some idea of the player. Then another 2-3 years to develop a body to bully other players - which was a big part of his play in the u18.

I already like the bits and pieces I’ve seen. Has a really neat kick and some good hands.

longterm being shitnow just assures us of the no. 1 draft pick.

we’re all just going to have grin and bear the current shitness for a little while longer. It will make it all the sweeter when things start clicking.

bennymate

Premium Gold
May 26, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
It has only taken 82 pages, but I'm glad we're now making statistical comparisons between Will Phillips - a first year AFL player - and Michael Jordan - the greatest basketballer of all time.

He isn't getting involved that much right now, but he has a decent kick on him which puts him ahead of many others on our list in my mind.

Lebron would like a word.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Who ? Jordan or Phillips ?

joegreen

All Australian
Mar 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So far Will's been compared to Michael Johnson (running style - just one of the greatest track athletes ever) (which I'll say there a similarity with his upright technique!), Messi, Jordan and the Don! LeBron James is now being included...

For mine unless within the next month he shows he can match it with Bolt, Kipchoge, Woods, Federer, Brady, Pele, Maradona and Ali all while drinking like David Boon then delist.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So far Will's been compared to Michael Johnson (running style - just one of the greatest track athletes ever) (which I'll say there a similarity with his upright technique!), Messi, Jordan and the Don! LeBron James is now being included...

For mine unless within the next month he shows he can match it with Bolt, Kipchoge, Woods, Federer, Brady, Pele, Maradona and Ali all while drinking like David Boon then delist.
But no pressure.

Stephenson and Treloar yeah.

He does run like Micheal Johnson a bit. Not quite as quickly tho.

Back