Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - 20d/12 tackles in VFL vs Brisbane - returns to the team vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

we’re going to need to give him a full year and another pre-season before we get some idea of the player.

Nah, that's just required for you to get an idea.

You're not alone.

Bradman averaged 51.33 after three tests and had a century and two 50s.

Jordan averaged 24.66 points 5.66 assists and 3.33 steals in his first three games and at the end of the season was 6t in MVP voting behind bird, johnson, malone, abdul jabbar and cummings.

So let's wait after a full season from LDU then we talk.

Head of Development Gavin Brown believes the mental attributes the Roos' number three pick, Phillips possesses, allows him to get the most out of his talent.

“He’s a very calm character, he doesn’t get frazzled and he doesn’t panic … you can’t really estimate what the weight of being such a high pick can do to an individual, but he’s got a very level head,” Brown told North Media.

“He’s got an extremely high work-ethic and a desire to get better … you’ve only got to look at the way Jy Simpkin goes about his business to see he’s got some really good role models around him.

“He has a high level of composure in those situations in front of goal where he’s under pressure, whether that be in the midfield or forward … he’s played a few senior games now, so I’m sure that puts his mind at rest that he’s amongst it and he can get to work.”

I don't know long term but if he has missed 12 months, I don't see anything wrong with playing him in the middle at VFL level to get the regular touches before unleashing him again.
I wonder if we/he would be better off staying in the seniors and getting used to the speed and physicality of the game, rather than dropping back to the VFL. He's not going to do serious midfield minutes for a couple of years at least, so playing midfield in the VFL for a few weeks may be a waste, perhaps? Let him play half-forward/forward pocket, get him involved in stoppages in the forward half and in the middle for centre bounces a few times a game, and gradually increase that number as the season goes on.

Head of Development Gavin Brown believes the mental attributes the Roos' number three pick, Phillips possesses, allows him to get the most out of his talent.

“He’s a very calm character, he doesn’t get frazzled and he doesn’t panic … you can’t really estimate what the weight of being such a high pick can do to an individual, but he’s got a very level head,” Brown told North Media.

“He’s got an extremely high work-ethic and a desire to get better … you’ve only got to look at the way Jy Simpkin goes about his business to see he’s got some really good role models around him.

“He has a high level of composure in those situations in front of goal where he’s under pressure, whether that be in the midfield or forward … he’s played a few senior games now, so I’m sure that puts his mind at rest that he’s amongst it and he can get to work.”

I'd agree with all of that based on what I have seen.

There's no other issue aside from fitness & experience, and I reckon if he could get a consistent run in the VFL until he strings together a couple of 25-30 games, then he'll come up and there'll be no looking back.

However, I can confirm from experience that if the resident neurotics don't have anything on hand, then they'll just invent something until a proper crisis comes along.

Some of the inside kids can take 3 years to be ready.

I wonder if we/he would be better off staying in the seniors and getting used to the speed and physicality of the game, rather than dropping back to the VFL. He's not going to do serious midfield minutes for a couple of years at least, so playing midfield in the VFL for a few weeks may be a waste, perhaps? Let him play half-forward/forward pocket, get him involved in stoppages in the forward half and in the middle for centre bounces a few times a game, and gradually increase that number as the season goes on.

He has kicked a goal in his last two games. We have a few forwards that haven't kicked a single goal for many weeks, if not years. For a kid that has probably never played forward pocket before in his life he is not doing too badly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has kicked a goal in his last two games. We have a few forwards that haven't kicked a single goal for many weeks, if not years. For a kid that has probably never played forward pocket before in his life he is not doing too badly.
How many goals has Logan Mcwhatshisname kicked in that period?

And both goals came so naturally- like a reflex.
He also did a few ripper tackles that he just clamped onto.
Need to get him involved more - would give him a run with role if he’s got the fitness.

And both goals came so naturally- like a reflex.
He also did a few ripper tackles that he just clamped onto.
Need to get him involved more - would give him a run with role if he’s got the fitness.
Oliver

Match fitness
Yeah its that burst stuff.

If you look at what he was doing as a junior he was quick in the stoppage and his first step was just bang. Consequently he would draw an opponent and find the free man by hand. He would then cruise at a reasonable click from contest to contest. When tackled he rarely was brought to ground.

He just isn't there yet physically to translate that to AFL level.

Will Phillips is our player now. Have some faith everyone, you cannot change reality. Plus, who do these people think they are? Judging a player based off of barely any games in his first year? I'm disappointed fellow North fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back