2nd best, after Bradman ?

DAlembert

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
you still aint making sense though - no one is averaging 50 in first class cricket in australia these day like yesteryear.
I'm starting to think you are slow. I think we are talking about TEST CRICKET LEVEL. First class cricket in Australia is a whole different discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm starting to think you are slow. I think we are talking about TEST CRICKET LEVEL. First class cricket in Australia is a whole different discussion.
I think 50 became the benchmark for a while because australia had a team full of phenomenal batsmen who were all averaging 50 or very close to it. Now we have ONE player averaging 50 in the current side (Labradoodle's average doesn't count because he's only played a couple of tests). So I don't know how you reason that 50 is the new benchmark when only one player has that average.

DAlembert

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
I think 50 became the benchmark for a while because australia had a team full of phenomenal batsmen who were all averaging 50 or very close to it. Now we have ONE player averaging 50 in the current side (Labradoodle's average doesn't count because he's only played a couple of tests). So I don't know how you reason that 50 is the new benchmark when only one player has that average.
Do some research and come back and talk to me about it. I was not referring to the current bunch. This is one of the weakest batting line ups since the WSC period. Have a look at the period of post 2000 retirees. Hussey Haydn S. Waugh Clarke Voges Ponting...All modern Era players. FFs DC

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Do some research and come back and talk to me about it. I was not referring to the current bunch. This is one of the weakest batting line ups since the WSC period. Have a look at the period of post 2000 retirees. Hussey Haydn S. Waugh Clarke Voges Ponting...All modern Era players. FFs DC
Thanks for making my point.

A bunch of phenomenal batsmen averaging 50 who have retired.

vs

A weak current crop of players who don't average 50 (aside from smith who averages 60+)

What's your point?

DAlembert

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong

vs

A weak current crop of players who don't average 50 (aside from smith who averages 60+)

What's your point?

vs

What's your point?
I made my point. 50 average is for the best in the game to aspire to it used to be 40. So WTF is your point.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
He was just taking the piss today, with more time he could have just ground out another safe ton but he was just having fun until he got out.
His lowest score almost proved more than any other innings this series. The way he was hitting it, the smiling, the practice shot while on his back. Even the way he got out.

Everything is on his watch at the moment. Even his dismissals.

I haven’t enjoyed watching a cricketer this much in my 24 years watching the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DAlembert

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Think this thread has been answered now.
Only the worst form slump of all time will stop Smith sitting comfortably behind The Don as the greatest batsman of all time.
No not true. Doug Walters had as good a series against the Windies in 69 and others Taylor Haydn G.Chappell also had series as good. Now if Smith gets to 900 for the series I might agree with you in this totally irrelevant discussion. Time will Tell.

2Knights

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
There are no other teams

worbod

Premiership Player
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Did the Don go to War? I don't think so. Was in the Air Force before being invalidated out.
No - as Gough always reminds us the bloke was a complete war squib
The Don did not go to war but was a lieutenant in the Army. He played four social cricket matches for the Army during 1940.

The Convert

All Australian
Jan 8, 2009
slightly off centre
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I made my point. 50 average is for the best in the game to aspire to it used to be 40. So WTF is your point.
40 was deemed to be a good average with pushing towards 50 to be great. The recent 50 bonanza is an outlier reflecting bats and ovals as well as the introduction of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe where big scores were made.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Passenger

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Mar 25, 2003
Hasa Diga Eebowai
AFL Club
West Coast
The recent 50 bonanza is an outlier reflecting bats and ovals as well as the introduction of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe where big scores were made.
More than former I think.

Beating up on Bangladesh and Zimbabwe was no different to previous generations beating up on the test cricketing newbies of their respective eras.

You could even claim Don Bradman beat up on the minnows to give his average that boost towards 100, performing significantly better against India and South Africa than he did against England, although he obviously slayed England as well.

worbod

Premiership Player
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
It would be interesting to see how Smith, with his peculiarities and fidgeting whilst batting, faced up to Paul "Frog in a Blender" Adams in a "Battle of the Quirky Ones". Alan Knott, who was known to perform gymnastics and exercises behind the stumps could be wicketkeeper and Billy Bowden could umpire.

DAlembert

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
It would be interesting to see how Smith, with his peculiarities and fidgeting whilst batting, faced up to Paul "Frog in a Blender" Adams in a "Battle of the Quirky Ones". Alan Knott, who was known to perform gymnastics and exercises behind the stumps could be wicketkeeper and Billy Bowden could umpire.
Alan "Froggy" Thomson to Smith would be hilarious. Umpired some VFL games. Bounced the ball higher than any other umpire EVER.

Top Bottom