2nd best, after Bradman ?

Remove this Banner Ad

you still aint making sense though - no one is averaging 50 in first class cricket in australia these day like yesteryear.
I'm starting to think you are slow. I think we are talking about TEST CRICKET LEVEL. First class cricket in Australia is a whole different discussion.

I'm starting to think you are slow. I think we are talking about TEST CRICKET LEVEL. First class cricket in Australia is a whole different discussion.

I think 50 became the benchmark for a while because australia had a team full of phenomenal batsmen who were all averaging 50 or very close to it. Now we have ONE player averaging 50 in the current side (Labradoodle's average doesn't count because he's only played a couple of tests). So I don't know how you reason that 50 is the new benchmark when only one player has that average.

I think 50 became the benchmark for a while because australia had a team full of phenomenal batsmen who were all averaging 50 or very close to it. Now we have ONE player averaging 50 in the current side (Labradoodle's average doesn't count because he's only played a couple of tests). So I don't know how you reason that 50 is the new benchmark when only one player has that average.
Do some research and come back and talk to me about it. I was not referring to the current bunch. This is one of the weakest batting line ups since the WSC period. Have a look at the period of post 2000 retirees. Hussey Haydn S. Waugh Clarke Voges Ponting...All modern Era players. FFs DC

Do some research and come back and talk to me about it. I was not referring to the current bunch. This is one of the weakest batting line ups since the WSC period. Have a look at the period of post 2000 retirees. Hussey Haydn S. Waugh Clarke Voges Ponting...All modern Era players. FFs DC

Thanks for making my point.

A bunch of phenomenal batsmen averaging 50 who have retired.

vs

A weak current crop of players who don't average 50 (aside from smith who averages 60+)

What's your point?

vs

A weak current crop of players who don't average 50 (aside from smith who averages 60+)

What's your point?

vs

What's your point?
I made my point. 50 average is for the best in the game to aspire to it used to be 40. So WTF is your point.

He was just taking the piss today, with more time he could have just ground out another safe ton but he was just having fun until he got out.

His lowest score almost proved more than any other innings this series. The way he was hitting it, the smiling, the practice shot while on his back. Even the way he got out.

Everything is on his watch at the moment. Even his dismissals.

I haven’t enjoyed watching a cricketer this much in my 24 years watching the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He may score 400 or 500 against Afghanistan if it's at the Gabba in November 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think this thread has been answered now.
Only the worst form slump of all time will stop Smith sitting comfortably behind The Don as the greatest batsman of all time.
No not true. Doug Walters had as good a series against the Windies in 69 and others Taylor Haydn G.Chappell also had series as good. Now if Smith gets to 900 for the series I might agree with you in this totally irrelevant discussion. Time will Tell.

Did the Don go to War? I don't think so. Was in the Air Force before being invalidated out.

No - as Gough always reminds us the bloke was a complete war squib

The Don did not go to war but was a lieutenant in the Army. He played four social cricket matches for the Army during 1940.

I made my point. 50 average is for the best in the game to aspire to it used to be 40. So WTF is your point.
40 was deemed to be a good average with pushing towards 50 to be great. The recent 50 bonanza is an outlier reflecting bats and ovals as well as the introduction of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe where big scores were made.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The recent 50 bonanza is an outlier reflecting bats and ovals as well as the introduction of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe where big scores were made.
More than former I think.

Beating up on Bangladesh and Zimbabwe was no different to previous generations beating up on the test cricketing newbies of their respective eras.

You could even claim Don Bradman beat up on the minnows to give his average that boost towards 100, performing significantly better against India and South Africa than he did against England, although he obviously slayed England as well.

It would be interesting to see how Smith, with his peculiarities and fidgeting whilst batting, faced up to Paul "Frog in a Blender" Adams in a "Battle of the Quirky Ones". Alan Knott, who was known to perform gymnastics and exercises behind the stumps could be wicketkeeper and Billy Bowden could umpire.

It would be interesting to see how Smith, with his peculiarities and fidgeting whilst batting, faced up to Paul "Frog in a Blender" Adams in a "Battle of the Quirky Ones". Alan Knott, who was known to perform gymnastics and exercises behind the stumps could be wicketkeeper and Billy Bowden could umpire.
Alan "Froggy" Thomson to Smith would be hilarious. Umpired some VFL games. Bounced the ball higher than any other umpire EVER.

The don is NOT the greatest batsman of all time he was a great player in his day, much much better than his contemporaries but he was so utterly inferior in every way to players of today's era it is simply insulting to think a little bloke with fast hands playing against dibbly dobbly bowlers with no talent a hundred years ago is the greatest player of ALL time.

The don is NOT the greatest batsman of all time he was a great player in his day, much much better than his contemporaries but he was so utterly inferior in every way to players of today's era it is simply insulting to think a little bloke with fast hands playing against dibbly dobbly bowlers with no talent a hundred years ago is the greatest player of ALL time.

I will give you your due, you stand behind what you say and won't let up.
But you probably have the least knowledge of cricket than anyone ever to of graced the pages of BF and that really is an achievement.
Congratulations!!

I will give you your due, you stand behind what you say and won't let up.
But you probably have the least knowledge of cricket than anyone ever to of graced the pages of BF and that really is an achievement.
Congratulations!!
Cheers mate. Your validation was all I was after. I take huge pride in kudos from a pleb who makes a statement and provides evidence proving himself wrong. Keep up the great work and stay safe in the knowledge that here in BF turning your brain off at the log in page puts you in the majority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back