Preview 2nd Elimination Final, 2020: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs - Gabba, Saturday 3rd October, 4:40PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 22 25.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people are upset because we don’t pick the ground but I think it favours us playing on most likely a drier deck. Also Metricon is where the dogs mainly play and live at the moment. Adelaide takes away that advantage. I just want what helps us the most. Think it’s Adelaide.

and they obviously want to play port Friday so we couldn’t play at the Gabba Saturday anyway

Best opponent we could have drawn with Naughton and Wallis in doubt. That is their 2 best forwards. Could be Bont in the forward line more often which helps our mids as well.

Bulldogs play well at Metricon.
We do not.
I’m not mad about playing at Adelaide oval, but would rather GABBA
Im just disappointed under principal that clubs were told they could pick the venue they play as as a home final, yet the AFL seems to have forgotten that rule for us.

But we cant be publicly complain about it. We cant let it get into anyone head that we dont want too, or cant, play at Adelaide Oval.

As Ross Lyon would say - anytime, anywhere.

I know people are upset because we don’t pick the ground but I think it favours us playing on most likely a drier deck. Also Metricon is where the dogs mainly play and live at the moment. Adelaide takes away that advantage. I just want what helps us the most. Think it’s Adelaide.

Well that’s the thing, it’s not going to be the Gabba anyway. So there is that.
But maybe it’s just the principle.

I don't like the look of the Metricon. Those massive McDonalds arches and the roof like like those old airplanes the pioneers tried to fly around the turn of the 20th century. It reminds me of Mary bloody Poppins.

Surely we wouldn't get anywhere near 20k for an Adelaide final against the Dogs so not sure that's really much of a factor?
They might be hoping some Adelaide fans, who are at least interested in football, would go because it is a final and not involving Port. Where as in Qld, there are very few neutral supporters around to fill the seats.

As much as I’d prefer to play at wherever we choose, I hope that once the decision is made, we move on.
Certainly don’t want us to be a pushover but having lived in Geelong and witnessed the outcries from their supporters and media about having to play finals at the G against Richmond and Collingwood the last few years and seen how much of a distraction it’s become and how badly they’ve gone in these finals, I really hope that we don’t let the situation become too big.

Surely we wouldn't get anywhere near 20k for an Adelaide final against the Dogs so not sure that's really much of a factor?
I agree, but in SA the crowds can be up to 20000
Ratts has said the Gabba and thats what we should get, if the Pies said they wanted the GABBA they would get it

Couldn’t be at the Gabba because Richmond must be playing there on Saturday Surely Adelaide is better than Metricon.

Yep. I’m agreeing with you.
If it has to be Metricon, it may as well be Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and they obviously want to play port Friday so we couldn’t play at the Gabba Saturday anyway
I’m the same mate. Definitely prefer us when it’s not dewy.

They might be hoping some Adelaide fans, who are at least interested in football, would go because it is a final and not involving Port. Where as in Qld, there are very few neutral supporters around to fill the seats.

They rebuilt the Adelaide oval at massive cost, playing games there pays down their loans.

So why should WCE get the Thursday night game then? If the problem is they can't play two matches at the same ground on the same day then the fairest thing to do would be to have:
PA v Geel - Thurs night, AO
Bris v Rich - Fri night, G
WCE v Coll - Sat twilight, OS
StK v WB - Sat night, G

But with the AFL fairness only enters into the equation when it also satisfies their bottom line :rolleyes:

Im just disappointed under principal that clubs were told they could pick the venue they play as as a home final, yet the AFL seems to have forgotten that rule for us.

But we cant be publicly complain about it. We cant let it get into anyone head that we dont want too, or cant, play at Adelaide Oval.

As Ross Lyon would say - anytime, anywhere.

Agree.

In principle it sucks. In reality, we just have to roll with it. If we focus on it publically it just becomes an unwanted distraction.

It'll just be a good practice run for our Prelim there 2 weeks later anyway. 😉

🙋‍♂️, max of 25,000 for games here but feel like that might be pushing it but you'd get at least 20,000 to it I think. I think Adelaide Oval suits you guys anyway. And can't underestimate the local favourite Callum Wilkie's effect on crowd numbers...

So why should WCE get the Thursday night game then? If the problem is they can't play two matches at the same ground on the same day then the fairest thing to do would be to have:
StK v WB - Sat night, G

But with the AFL fairness only enters into the equation when it also satisfies their bottom line :rolleyes:
Pretty sure covid dictates that. The world isn’t against us. As if they would play a Pies game at day and dogs and us at night. Pretty sure ratings is rather important this year.

Couldn’t be at the Gabba because Richmond must be playing there on Saturday Surely Adelaide is better than Metricon.
Not sure where you get that idea from. Both games could be held at the Gabba on the same day. It's happened this year already.

StK v WB - Sat night, G

They can play two games at the same venue on the same day. They did it to us when we played Hawthorn.

Not to mention historically one qualifying final is held during the day.

This was last years first week of the finals series;

Thursday Night
1st Elimination Final

Friday Night
1st Qualifying Final

Saturday
2nd Elimination Final

Saturday Night
2nd Qualifying Final

Logic suggests they will run with the same scheduling. They don't run Qualifying Finals or Elimination Finals back to back either.

West Coast get the Thursday night Elimination Final, meaning we must be playing on the Saturday along with the 2nd Qualifying Final (Richmond v Brisbane).

Last edited:
Not sure where you get that idea from. Both games could be held at the Gabba on the same day. It's happened this year already.
I’m getting it from common sense. Seriously George you are starting to sound like someone else. I doubt other games that have been played on the same ground have had a 2 hour gap at the most and bigger crowds like they will get in finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back