2nd ODI | Australia vs India @ Adelaide (13.50 ACDST)

Remove this Banner Ad

They will give Finch every opportunity to get back into form

In the wings will be Short to replace him.....Warner will come straight back in ...the World cup team is starting to take shape

Warner
Finch/ Short....if finch continues his terrible form
Smith
S Marsh
Stoinos /M marsh
Maxwell
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Zampa/Agar/Lyon
Hazelwood/Behrendoff/Richardson

In the squad Turner Bancroft..Usman Handscomb

that's the squad I would go for

Smith will be lucky to be fit by the Ashes, let alone the WC, I'd actually be surprised if he's named.

Short again, if that's the option I'd stick with Finch despite his form.

Bancroft is a laughable selection in a 50 over squad. Look at list list A record, it's horrific! Don't care how made grade cricketers he smashes in the BBL. Even when he wan't banned his 50 over record for WA was terrible. If he's there the are kidding themselves. Hands comb is a better limited overs version.

You cannot possibly be serious with Cummins...and how isn't Richardson at least ahead of him. NCN is a certainty too.

Well ideally I’d drop the useless captain but that isn’t happening. Too many similar players 3-5. They are all the same. 1 less and a Turner type seems a better mix.

Alternatively drop Carey, Handscomb can keep and put Turner at 4-5, with Khawaja opening. Keepers are next to useless in ODI’s anyway.

giphy.gif

Bancroft is a laughable selection in a 50 over squad. Look at list list A record, it's horrific!
Why do you keep peddling this? Over his career his batting is comparable to 4 (Finch, Carey, Handscomb, Stoinis) of the current top 6, and in his most recent series (JLT 2017) it was better than the same 4 over the same series.

Why do you keep peddling this? Over his career his batting is comparable to 4 (Finch, Carey, Handscomb, Stoinis) of the current top 6, and in his most recent series (JLT 2017) it was better than the same 4 over the same series.
To be fair, none of those mentioned besides Carey have a SR near as low as Bancroft's (77.8) in list A.

So unless he is going to take the gloves off Carey, I honestly can't see any way he makes the World Cup squad. Plenty of guys ahead of him.

Sadly I agree with this. He's been great for Australia over the years, but right now he just isn't up to standard. Happens to them all eventually.
Yep, agree. His record is nothing to sneeze at. 13th on the list of Australian all time test wicket takers with 214 and an average of 30.

You could walk away from the game and tell your mates over a pub meal and pot that you’re the 13th highest wicket taker for the country. Of all the players that have bowled a red ball in test match cricket, I’d be buying him a beer.

Scores too slowly?

He had a SR of 90 over 2018, what would you like him to strike at?

In the first 10-15 overs he scores too slow. Yesterday perfect example, 6 off 17...we lost the game both in our first 10 and our last 5. We were 30 short.

Ashton Turner has to be looked st heading to the World Cup, granted 20/20 form is not the same and I pay little or no notice to it but I like the way he is developing and he has done it quickly. He can genuinely bat and has a great temperament and having him in at 6 would really add to our team.

Siddle and Lyon should not be there, Carey and Finch also.
I don’t disagree, I think you need to look at T20 as a way to gauge ODI cricket, there is definitely characteristics that cross over to both formats. Personally I’d do the following;

Squad;
Warner
Finch
Smith
S Marsh
Khawaja
Handscomb
Maxwell
Stoinis
Short
Wade
Carey
Turner
Agar
Richardson
Behrendorff
Coulter - Nile
Starc

My team;
Warner
Marsh
Smith
Handscombe
Maxwell
Wade
Stoinis
Agar
Starc
Richardson
Coulter - Nile

Last edited:
To be fair, none of those mentioned besides Carey have a SR near as low as Bancroft's (77.8) in list A.
You're ignoring recent results in favour of career statistics. Since he hasn't played anywhere else his most recent series are the 2017 JLT and 2016 Matador cups where he returned SRs of 103 and 94 respectively. Which is better than all previous players mentioned except Finch in 2016. Also better than Khawaja in in 2016. Stoinis didn't play in 2016.

I'm not saying he demands Australian ODI selection, but to say his List A record is poor is false in comparison to the current ODI top 6.

What I do know from what I’ve seen is that Marsh, Handscomb, Maxwell and Stoinis must play in any ODI side going forward. Coulter Nile has an average at ODI level of 26 and there’s no way he stays out in favour of Siddle. Behrendorff might make way for Starc? Carey for Wade? Finch is in horrid form so a huge game on Friday could save him, but gee he has looked bad.

Warner & Smith add great firepower. Assuming both eligible?

In the first 10-15 overs he scores too slow. Yesterday perfect example, 6 off 17...we lost the game both in our first 10 and our last 5. We were 30 short.

He’s in busted arse form and hasn’t got one off the square in months.

It’s not like when he was batting well he still scored slow.

Never mind that if someone is averaging nearly 40, strikes in the 90s, it literally doesn’t matter one f***ing iota when they hit their runs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, agree. His record is nothing to sneeze at. 13th on the list of Australian all time test wicket takers with 214 and an average of 30.

You could walk away from the game and tell your mates over a pub meal and pot that you’re the 13th highest wicket taker for the country. Of all the players that have bowled a red ball in test match cricket, I’d be buying him a beer.

Had some ridiculously quick and good days early in his career where he would hit early 150kms and you'd know he was going to take a bag. Then went vegan and is more a late 120s bowler now.

I think hes been past it for a while and shouldn't be near any of our international squads. We have plenty of promising seam bowlers.

Had some ridiculously quick and good days early in his career where he would hit early 150kms and you'd know he was going to take a bag. Then went vegan and is more a late 120s bowler now.

I think hes been past it for a while and shouldn't be near any of our international squads. We have plenty of promising seam bowlers.

I think 150s is a slight embellishment. Around the time he took his hat trick he was consistently able to bowl around 142-3

Sird

You could walk away from the game and tell your mates over a pub meal and pot that you’re the 13th highest wicket taker for the country. Of all the players that have bowled a red ball in test match cricket, I’d be buying him a beer.[/QUO

Would love to see siddle in a pub fight. Reckon he wouldn't come in 13th. He used to look like a lumberjack FFS.

....if finch continues his terrible form
I don’t disagree, I think you need to look at T20 as a way to gauge ODI cricket, there is definitely characteristics that cross over to both formats. Personally I’d do the following;

Squad;
Warner
Finch
Smith
S Marsh
Khawaja
Handscomb
Maxwell
Stoinis
Short
Wade
Carey
Turner
Agar
Richardson
Behrendorff
Coulter - Nile
Starc

My team;
Warner
Marsh
Smith
Handscombe
Maxwell
Wade
Stoinis
Agar
Starc
Richardson
Coulter - Nile

Where's all this love from wade coming from ??? ....crap keeper cannot risk wade dropping a Kohli Root in a final ..would rather have Handscomb with the gloves

Wade out M Marsh in

Honest question, how do they pick the Man of the Man award.

Many moons ago, when I played junior cricket, you were awarded 1 point per run and 20 points for a wicket, catch or run out.

I thought Marsh would have got the honours ahead of Kohli?
It's the vibe man.

Dorff injured again... sigh.

With our only good ODI bowler out we are going in to tomorrow's game with no bowlers.

It's going to get really ugly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back