2nd ODI | Australia vs India @ Adelaide (13.50 ACDST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Preview
Despite losing the first test match home-series to India in history, the Australian's turned in an unexpected bowling masterclass to defeat India in the 1st ODI at Sydney. With Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins rested for the series, youngster Jhye Richardson lead the Australian's to a superb 34-run win.

The result looked unlikely from the outset, with Aaron Finch's batting woes continuing, before Khawaja and Marsh gave away starts. Handscomb and Stoinis resurrected the innings, before finishing strongly to set the tourists a modest total.

While Sharma did his absolute best in beast mode to drag India across the line, losing three quick wickets at the start of their innings, including their talisman captain Virat Kohli, all but ensured defeat.

While Australia's batting was more efficient than electric, they still had plenty left in the tank with enigmatic Glenn Maxwell facing just 5 balls, while Nathan Lyon is capable of slogging to all corners. India's performance reinforced issues that they need to resolve before the World Cup this year, with too much resting on the shoulders of MS Dhoni and Rohit Sharma.

Mitchell Marsh returns to the squad for the Australian's, and while he has declared himself fit, overcoming a two-day hospital stay for illness, it's unlikely he will be picked. It falls to India to find the answers in their batting order, with only modest contributions after their top 6 batsman expected.

Team Lineups

Australia (expected)
Aaron Finch (c)
Alex Carey +
Usman Khawaja
Shaun Marsh
Peter Handscomb
Marcus Stoinis
Glenn Maxwell
Jhye Richardson
Peter Siddle
Nathan Lyon
Jason Behrendorff

India (expected)
Rohit Sharma
Shikhar Dhawan
Virat Kohli (c)
Ambati Rayudu
MS Dhoni +
Dinesh Karthik
Ravindra Jadeja
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Kuldeep Yadav
Khaleel Ahmed
Mohammed Shami

Weather
Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 08.36.14.png

Broadcast
Fox 501 from 1.50pm local (2.20 aedst, 11.20 awst, 1.20pm qld)
ESPNCricinfo

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
same XI ?

I find that unlikely. We always chop and change and rotate our players from one odi to the next (other than world cup) these days.

the 4 who missed on Saturday m.marsh, turner, zampa, stanlake.

surely one of them gets a run.

not sold on carey opening , rather see him at 7.
Maxwell at 7 seems a waste, and should be at 6 at worst.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
same XI ?

I find that unlikely. We always chop and change and rotate our players from one odi to the next (other than world cup) these days.

No team news yet, so going on the last team.

Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Preview
Despite losing the first test match home-series to India in history, the Australian's turned in an unexpected bowling masterclass to defeat India in the 1st ODI at Sydney. With Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins rested for the series, youngster Jhye Richardson lead the Australian's to a superb 34-run win.

The result looked unlikely from the outset, with Aaron Finch's batting woes continuing, before Khawaja and Marsh gave away starts. Handscomb and Stoinis resurrected the innings, before finishing strongly to set the tourists a modest total.

While Sharma did his absolute best in beast mode to drag India across the line, losing three quick wickets at the start of their innings, including their talisman captain Virat Kohli, all but ensured defeat.

While Australia's batting was more efficient than electric, they still had plenty left in the tank with enigmatic Glenn Maxwell facing just 5 balls, while Nathan Lyon is capable of slogging to all corners. India's performance reinforced issues that they need to resolve before the World Cup this year, with too much resting on the shoulders of MS Dhoni and Rohit Sharma.

Mitchell Marsh returns to the squad for the Australian's, and while he has declared himself fit, overcoming a two-day hospital stay for illness, it's unlikely he will be picked. It falls to India to find the answers in their batting order, with only modest contributions after their top 6 batsman expected.

Team Lineups

Australia (expected)
Aaron Finch (c)
Alex Carey +
Usman Khawaja
Shaun Marsh
Peter Handscomb
Marcus Stoinis
Glenn Maxwell
Jhye Richardson
Peter Siddle
Nathan Lyon
Jason Behrendorff

India (expected)
Rohit Sharma
Shikhar Dhawan
Virat Kohli (c)
Ambati Rayudu
MS Dhoni +
Dinesh Karthik
Ravindra Jadeja
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Kuldeep Yadav
Khaleel Ahmed
Mohammed Shami

Weather
View attachment 605374

Broadcast
Fox 501 from 2.20pm local (2.50 aedst, 11.50 awst, 1.50pm qld)
ESPNCricinfo
I think it's 1:50pm local (ACDST)

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
same XI ?

Zampa for either Siddle or Lyon is my bet for the only change.

Agree with the call on Carey. Seems like we've given every keeper since Gilchrist a crack at opening for some reason.

The way the batting line up looks there are similar types between 3 and 5. Get one of those to open with Finch (most likely Khawaja) and move everyone up the order. That gives Maxwell and Stoinis more overs to get the run rate up and Carey can also be used for his big hitting at 7.

I'd be sticking with that batting line up for the series to see how they go. Marsh unlucky but can't see how he fits in.

kenneje

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Siddle needs to go. Issue is that stanlake is as equally rubbish

Agree. Most teams are playing with 2 spinners, so I'm hoping Zampa gets a crack WITH Lyon.

I'd like to see this lineup today;

1. Finch
2. Marsh
3. Khawaja
4. Handscomb
5. Maxwell
6. Stoinis
7. Carey
8. Richardson
9. Lyon
10. Zampa
11. Behrendorff

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Zampa is a rubbish bowler, throws pies and does bugger all - the quintessential passenger. Siddle bowled pretty well in the first ODI, his first in 8 years, and certainly did enough to maintain his spot in the side.

Zampa offers absolutely nothing with the bat and only slightly more with the ball. Rather go with Maxwell as the second spinner, because he does offer something.

Lynnsanity

All Australian
Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Here’s a thought...

How about we show the team who just beat the No.2 ranked ODI in the world, some loyalty for at least another game rather than this chopping and changing ******* bullshit.

Here’s a thought...

How about we show the team who just beat the No.2 ranked ODI in the world, some loyalty for at least another game rather than this chopping and changing ******* bullshit.

Agreed. Only chance might be Siddle for Zampa depending on the pitch but I’d keep the same team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lynnsanity

All Australian
Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agreed. Only chance might be Siddle for Zampa depending on the pitch but I’d keep the same team

Yep and that should be the only change considered.

I mean our ODI side has been deplorable of late and couldn’t buy a win in 2018 so I think it’s only fair that the same group of guys that played decent as a unit for once and knocked off the highly fancied Indian ODI side, get given at least another game before out of form players such as Mitchell Marsh are just thrown back into the side without batting an eyelid.

Even though Siddle shouldn’t have even been in the side from the get go, he is there now and played in a winning team so may as well give the bowling unit another game together to see if it was a once off.

I mean our ODI side has been deplorable of late and couldn’t buy a win in 2018 so I think it’s only fair that the same group of guys that played decent as a unit for once and knocked off the highly fancied Indian ODI side, get given at least another game before out of form players such as Mitchell Marsh are just thrown back into the side without batting an eyelid.

Even though Siddle shouldn’t have even been in the side from the get go, he is there now and played in a winning team so may as well give the bowling unit another game together to see if it was a once off.

Yep plus in a World Cup year this tossing and changing won't help anyway. Continuity is everything in a WC year. Players need to play together and know what everyone is capable of. Not as if Mitch Marsh is in some great form, barely scored a run in 2-3 months!

kenneje

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal

Yeah fair enough. It's completely understandable if they opt for the same team. I hope they mix the batting lineup a little bit though.

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree. Most teams are playing with 2 spinners, so I'm hoping Zampa gets a crack WITH Lyon.

I'd like to see this lineup today;

1. Finch
2. Marsh
3. Khawaja
4. Handscomb
5. Maxwell
6. Stoinis
7. Carey
8. Richardson
9. Lyon
10. Zampa
11. Behrendorff

If they go for this team

I would swap Marsh with Khawaja

IMO Khawaja is only suited to opening in the one day game

Handscomb could also bat at three and leave marsh at 4

Yeah fair enough. It's completely understandable if they opt for the same team. I hope they mix the batting lineup a little bit though.

Why? It worked last game, probably got our highest ODI score in over 12 months!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back