Preview 2nd Preliminary Final: Brisbane Lions vs Geelong Cats @ The Gabba, Sat Oct 17th, 6:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it would be. But look at their history. The last 2 teams to have faced them have been decimated. I don't want that to happen to us, that's all. :(
We just beat them convincingly. Port would have beaten them if they had a better forward line. Plus 14 inside 50s to lose by a goal. You’re living in the past. Why? Be brave. If we get there, we will win.

We just beat them convincingly. Port would have beaten them if they had a better forward line. Plus 14 inside 50s to lose by a goal. You’re living in the past. Why? Be brave. If we get there, we will win.

You're right, I guess I should steal something on Fagan and not look too much into the past. And honestly thanks for taking my post seriously.

First we beat Geelong. Then we beat Richmond. It’s like a microcosm of the second quarter of our Qualifying Final. Richmond have thrown everything at this Premiership campaign and made the Grand Final. We now counter punch and go BANG! BANG! Geelong and Richmond are playing in our house and we are flying. We have done everything right so far and now we get to shut some mouths, especially the Melbourne-centric commentators.

First we beat Geelong. Then we beat Richmond. It’s like a microcosm of the second quarter of our Qualifying Final. Richmond have thrown everything at this Premiership campaign and made the Grsnd Final. We now counter punch and go BANG! BANG! Geelong and Richmond are playing in our house and we are flying.

Good luck, hope you win tomorrow night.

if you do, no you can not write our preview for us. Bad things happened last time you did that ;)

Win or lose, the stakes for next week have just increased (if we make it).

A grand final win over Richmond would be the best case scenario of any you could draw up in the 2020 season. They've been our bogey team for 11 years, they are now the side trying to create a dynasty to match ours, and they're the most hated side in recent times too meaning we'd have more public goodwill than we've ever had going into a game.

If we could beat them in the grand final, it would be the most euphoric footy experience I could imagine. It would silence any doubt about our first win over them in the qualifying final being a fluke, it would announce our arrival as one of the likely competition heavyweights for the next period of time, and it could be quite a generationally pivotal moment for the sport in this state seeing us beat the champions at home to claim our first flag in 17 years.

If we lose though, it will be so much more soul-destroying than a grand final loss to any other team in the comp for all the same reasons. Having to hear Yellow & Black blare out after a grand final loss is the kind of thing that stays with you forever I imagine. dlanod can probably attest to that.

So in short, if we're able to beat Geelong tomorrow night and get through, the next week will be just about the longest and most anxiety-riddled I've ever lived.

Good luck, hope you win tomorrow night.

if you do, no you can not write our preview for us. Bad things happened last time you did that ;)
It was unerringly accurate. I agree that we need a 1944 Grand Final Replay.

Aker turned up late today to the lunch and Lynchy and Blackie bounced off each other well, but then the master arrive. He is one seriously funny man and surprisingly not lacking in confidence. Looks like all bridges have been mended (he has even caught up with Leigh for a coffee) and there was genuine warmth shown to him from the other two.
Host asked them who they would compare themselves to from the current crop:
Aker reckons he is like Charlie
Blacky reckons he is like JL
Lynchy said he is like another big forward who has trouble marking the ball and kicking goals - Dan McStay.

s**t post, sorry, but

looking at our list weights/heights & making comparisons to Geelong’s.

Noticed Frog is 192cm (6ft3) - how on earth!?

May have a couple of spare tickets for tomorrow (will know tomorrow morn). PM if interested.

Noticing a lot of Geelong fans flexing and claiming that in our game against them in Round 6 they had half of their best 22 out. Is that true? Because I remember they had most of their A grade players that night and we're only down 2 rotations.

I actually don't want to win anymore. Richmond destroy teams who face them in the grand final. Look at what happened to Adelaide and GWS. They haven't recovered since losing to Richmond at the grand final. I know it's controversial, but I would rather us not win and win next year. No hate please.
Ain't got no time for this, round here it's always Lions o'clock
20201016_224452.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how heated it gets in the selection committee for a Prelim.

I really don’t think our club does things that way anymore . Lots of long silent pauses for reflections, respectful listening to others then Fagan weighs up the options and says decision is mine , and we are doing x.

the grownups are in charge now.

Noticing a lot of Geelong fans flexing and claiming that in our game against them in Round 6 they had half of their best 22 out. Is that true? Because I remember they had most of their A grade players that night and we're only down 2 rotations.

They had Stewart, Stanley and Henderson out, and lost Duncan and Narkle in the first quarter.

Only change from our side will be CEY in for T. Berry. Injuries wise McCluggage copped a shoulder injury prior to half time and while he played the second half he really struggled with it. We also lost Robbo half way through the third quarter.

Coleman was desperately unlucky. His closing speed and tackling would have been a bonus for mine.

if we make it through I expect kiddy will play in the GF against Richmond. Horses for courses

Can't see it myself, why take out Coleman when CEY's pressure (he is quite slow) would be at best half as good. Only reason I can see for CEY to come in is to share the inside work around, IMO 70-75%Mid the rest Fwd.
I don't think it will be mainly about his pressure up forward. For this game it will be about not getting easily out marked in our forward 50.
I see the Cats defenders a bit to big but they are also fairly mobile
CEY comes in to give us a bit of balance up forward in relation to their defense height and weight. CEY 190cm 96kg to Coleman 183cm 75kg

Cats named defenders- Blicavs 198cm 100kg, Henderson 196cm 98kg, Henry 191cm 92kg, Kolodjashnij 193cm 94kg, Stewart 190cm 88kg, Taylor 195cm 94kg,
Bench that can play defense - Tuohey 187cm 93kg, O'Connor 191cm 87kg, Bews 186cm 88kg.

CEY also gives us more options than Coleman and a little more experience
Coleman unlucky this week. If we win i can see Coleman returning in the GF as we will need more pressure in our forward line against Richmond
Can't wait till Saturday evening.

Posted earlier this afternoon I thought they would pick CEY, (also some media were mentioning it) feel Coleman a bit unlucky, but our mids must at least break even. Hopefully CEY presence will present Dangerfield from going forward because that is the key. I do not believe we can contain Danger with Andrews tied up on Hawkins.
I posted last week I expected the Lions to play Richmond in the GF and I am sticking with that. This is the game for McStay to half the contest and get our small forwards involved against Geelongs rather tall backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back