Preview 2nd Qual Final - Port Adelaide vs Geelong - Friday 7:50

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, good call by the MC. Not sure why they persisted with Higgins for so long. Just wasted half a season on Steven last year and Higgins this year.
Pretty disrespectful and unfair with you comments on Higgins. Look at the stats. Higgins played some really good games and was fairly consistent. Wait until you see how Simpson, Atkins, Close, Miers, Dahlhaus perform this week under finals pressure. None of them performed well against Melbourne last week. Miers and Atkins had Barry Crockers and I don't get Dahlhaus. I thought forwards were supposed to threaten the scoreboard. Holmes was better than all of them and he got dropped.

SOS is worth every game put into him IMO. He was stellar in finals last year. Gonna be a 150-200 gamer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also a massive fan of young Sam. Still doesn't mean I wasn't mildly surprised to see him hold his place over Higgins at this point. As I also said, though, I wasn't disappointed to see him still in the 22.

The very fact that some might be considered truly unlucky at selection now is an indication that we have some meaningful competition for the last spots in the team. That certainly can't be considered a bad thing.

I smell a late change.

Not sure Geelong brought Higgins to the club - managed him carefully during H&A - and again in recent weeks - to have him potentially sit out a qualifying final on the bench.

Holmes is a monty to be the sub. Just a case of who Higgins replaces.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You're correct. The club didn't bring him to the club to play on the bench.
They brought him to the club to see if he can improve us. It's not happening as hoped. I'd use Holmes.

Early in the year i would have said that but the last month he has been very good.

I was just about to post the same thing - early in the year i thought they carried him on his reputation but as you say his last month has been very good - that is a bewildering decision

Dissappointed to see Holmes go out too - not much courage in that decision either

However normally the courageous selections are made - when you are playing the cut throat knockout finals

Lycett and Ladhams will run Stanley ragged. At some stage Blicavs will have to help and as soon as he does Ladhams will go forward to exploit the situation. Luckily Hawkins can do all the ruck work up forward.

Genuinely amazed that they can pick O'Connor and even Close ahead of Higgins. Honestly even Parfitt should be on thin ice and could've gone for Higgins.

I guess we can throw Higgins onto the "quality players we bring in but get ignored because Scott has his favourites" heap with Josh Jenkins.

Narkle not even an emergency, is he injured? Or are Close and Miers just untouchable when fit, if so Why? Maybe Close i can understand, sort of, but Miers has done * all this year.

Looking forward to next years finals series when McCarthy, Cockatoo and Narkle are all playing for Brisbane and kick 8 goals between them in a prelim final...probably against us...All while O'Connor, Miers, Parfitt and Close are still working out how to football.

They've got Clurey playing ressies. Ken's selections baffle me. Selecting Drew ahead of Rockliff, Bergman ahead of Hartlett. It's almost as if he doesn't think they're a flag chance.

I watch Drew a bit, he's a very good player, he's been big in some huge moments this year that has won them at least two games.

I am also a massive fan of young Sam. Still doesn't mean I wasn't mildly surprised to see him hold his place over Higgins at this point. As I also said, though, I wasn't disappointed to see him still in the 22.

The very fact that some might be considered truly unlucky at selection now is an indication that we have some meaningful competition for the last spots in the team. That certainly can't be considered a bad thing.
Simpson was playing well in the GF last year.
I have no issue with him in a final.

Genuinely amazed that they can pick O'Connor and even Close ahead of Higgins. Honestly even Parfitt should be on thin ice and could've gone for Higgins.

I guess we can throw Higgins onto the "quality players we bring in but get ignored because Scott has his favourites" heap with Josh Jenkins.

Narkle not even an emergency, is he injured? Or are Close and Miers just untouchable when fit, if so Why? Maybe Close i can understand, sort of, but Miers has done fu** all this year.

Looking forward to next years finals series when McCarthy, Cockatoo and Narkle are all playing for Brisbane and kick 8 goals between them in a prelim final...probably against us...All while O'Connor, Miers, Parfitt and Close are still working out how to football.
We have our first melt people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Narkle can't even get a gig in the emergencies now? lmaoooo

Who does Narkle replace from the named side?

It’s not Dahlhaus. Completely different skill set. Not Close or Miers either.

Simpson - I’d play Simpson ahead of Narkle. More upside

He’s the sub at best - and I’d play Holmes ahead of Narkle. Higgins has more experience and a far superior ball user.

Narkle gone post season. He knows and the club knows. That’s why he’s not playing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pretty disrespectful and unfair with you comments on Higgins. Look at the stats. Higgins played some really good games and was fairly consistent. Wait until you see how Simpson, Atkins, Close, Miers, Dahlhaus perform this week under finals pressure. None of them performed well against Melbourne last week. Miers and Atkins had Barry Crockers and I don't get Dahlhaus. I thought forwards were supposed to threaten the scoreboard. Holmes was better than all of them and he got dropped.

That is the big worry for me re Geel this week - dont care what anyone says - they are 5 average players - and that is alot to have in one side - and Close and Dahlhaus aernt big possession winners

The more you keep looking at those 5 - the more the pendulum switches back to tipping Pt Adelaide

Higgins very stiff - gets 20 + disposals week in and week out. He's a more rounded player than Dal, Close and Mieirs, all of whom are all very capable of struggling to get a touch. I think Simpson is bit lucky to be playing; he has some attributes but I would have preferred Holmes.

Role player is often a euphemism for can't get a kick.

I would have played Higgins or Holmes before one of the three other smalls, probably Dal. There may be a late change but I'd be surprised.

That is the big worry for me re Geel this week - dont care what anyone says - they are 5 average players - and that is alot to have in one side - and Close and Dahlhaus aernt big possession winners

The more you keep looking at those 5 - the more the pendulum switches back to tipping Pt Adelaide
I must have watched a different game last week because I thought Atkins, Simpson and Dahl were among our best.

We have our first melt people.

And if things don't go well tomorrow night, it will be far from the last. Happy days...

Simpson was playing well in the GF last year.
I have no issue with him in a final.

I entirely agree. Just shows the level of faith in him if he's preferred to a 250+ game player with multiple B&F's on his resume.

Not complaining, just noting that SOS clearly has some admirers much closer to the action than some of us here.

Which Higgins remarkably does even less of than Close and Dahlhaus. No doubt a lot of them will stuggle under finals pressure, that has been the team as a whole over a number of years. Chip scabbing some cheap touches and not bringing the end product doesn't interest me any. Maybe Higgins can turn it around in a final but I wouldn't have any more confidence in him performing than the others and the others have a harder edge, Higgins on par with Miers maybe in that respect...

Last edited:
Narkle can't even get a gig in the emergencies now? lmaoooo

Not that surprising now that we're getting back to full strength and really only missing 2 best 22 players

You're correct. The club didn't bring him to the club to play on the bench.
They brought him to the club to see if he can improve us. It's not happening as hoped. I'd use Holmes.
I see him as similar to Jack Steven- a previously excellent player who has passed his use by date, albeit for differing reasons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back