Preview 2nd qualifying final 2016: Geelong v Hawthorn, 9 September 2016, 7.50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of satire but also a lot of reality too...

http://www.thegreenfieldpost.com.au...r-qualifying-final-match-up-against-hawthorn/

Geelong fans Australia-wide are pretending to be excited for a qualifying final match against bitter rivals Hawthorn after the Hawks tight win over Collingwood.

The prevailing emotions amongst Cats fans are fear and trepidation, but they’re making an effort to convey excitement for a match that they’re dreading.

“Of course I’m excited to play them (Hawthorn),” a Cats fan who wanted to be named as Owen told the GFP.

“I’m just dreading the week off, the build up to the game, the media coverage, having to talk to Hawks fans, and the actual match itself.

“But I’m definitely really looking forward to the game being over,” Owen, who had been openly barracking for Collingwood, said.

Hawthorn and Geelong have a significant history, with Hawthorn holding the wood over Geelong in finals scenarios.

The Cats haven’t beaten the Hawks in a knockout finals game since 1963, and lost to them in the 1989 and 2008 Grand Finals.

Geelong did beat Hawthorn 11 times in a row between the 08 Grand Final and 2013 - the so called "Kennett Curse" - but the Hawks broke the streak in the 2013 preliminary final.

Another Cats fan named Luke had similar feelings to Owen.

“Yeah look every waking minute until the match is over is gonna feel like a thousand knives of fire are stabbing me if I’m honest,” he told us while sweating profusely.

“But I welcome it. Finals footy! It’s normal to feel sick for 12 days right?”

Another Cats fan named Carlie told us about her coping mechanisms for when she’s overcome with the excitement of playing Hawthorn in a finals match.

“The 2007 Grand Final DVD will cop a work out over the next couple of weeks,” she said.

“There’s something about seeing us pile 24 goals against hapless opponents that really soothes the anxiety.

“Sorry, did I say anxiety? I meant excitement. Excitement is the emotion I’m feeling.”
Bang on really, the inconsistency of the Cats this year makes it nerve-racking going into every game...but when we are up against a side the whole club sincerely wants to beat...I can't stand it!

Anyone know if Cryil hurt his hammy in the dying minutes when fitz kicked that goal, a poster in the autopsy thread said the club is very concerned.

CMON HAWKS. LETS BEAT THOSE PUSSY CATS!!
LOVE TO SEE US TAKE EM OUT WHEN IT COUNTS!!

In: Stratts, BigBoy, Langford.
Out: Hartung, Pitto, Fitz

Have a feeling selection will be tough, do we go for more speed on the outside with the running trio or go for inside grunt?

I would like Langers to take on danger,and play like he has played finals in the past.

With due respect to your mob, aside from the rivalry excitement I don't think any cats fan is nervous because we are playing the Hawks. We'd be nervous against anyone - we are a good side but have proven no more than say GWS or Adelaide in finals footy with this current group. Only selwood, Hawkins, Lonergan, Taylor, Bartel, Mackie and Enright (I think - probably forgetting someone, actually Duncan too) have won more than a solitary final as a cat. The rest have either not played, or fallen short when it matters.

We have every reason to be excited because we've played some great footy and outdone even our own highest expectations but we know that in Sydney, hawthorn and the Eagles there are 3 sides with plenty of credits in the bank, and GWS who's best footy is arguably better than any of those.

Excited, nervous, and desperate to beat your lot but whoever filled 3rd spot, I'd feel equally shaky (though admittedly less desperate for a win).

Hawthorn still have a big say in the destination of the cup.

PS. I understand people disliking Hawkins (I love him). He looks like a ballet dancer trapped in an NFL players body. But dangerfield? Wow, he brushes his hair out of his eyes. Must be a tosser......

With due respect to your mob, aside from the rivalry excitement I don't think any cats fan is nervous because we are playing the Hawks. We'd be nervous against anyone - we are a good side but have proven no more than say GWS or Adelaide in finals footy with this current group. Only selwood, Hawkins, Lonergan, Taylor, Bartel, Mackie and Enright (I think - probably forgetting someone, actually Duncan too) have won more than a solitary final as a cat. The rest have either not played, or fallen short when it matters.

We have every reason to be excited because we've played some great footy and outdone even our own highest expectations but we know that in Sydney, hawthorn and the Eagles there are 3 sides with plenty of credits in the bank, and GWS who's best footy is arguably better than any of those.

Excited, nervous, and desperate to beat your lot but whoever filled 3rd spot, I'd feel equally shaky (though admittedly less desperate for a win).

Hawthorn still have a big say in the destination of the cup.

PS. I understand people disliking Hawkins (I love him). He looks like a ballet dancer trapped in an NFL players body. But dangerfield? Wow, he brushes his hair out of his eyes. Must be a tosser......

No worries. Thanks for telling us.

ps. Was this post intended for our board or yours?

OMG.. That's on my birthday again.!
Last time we played them in a QF it was on the 09/09/2011 which we lost and the cats finished the year by smashing the pies by 90 points and we just scraped into the top 4.
We had no Ruff that year either with a injury and Buddy almost did his knee in the QF.
Hope it's not a bad omen.!

OUT: Pittonet, Sicily

IN: McEvoy, Stratton

FB: Burgoyne Frawley Gibson
HB: Duryea Stratton Birchall
C: Smith Mitchell Hill
HF: Gunston Schoenmakers Burton
FF: Rioli Fitzpatrick Breust
R: McEvoy Hodge Lewis
Int: Shiels, Whitecross, Puopolo, Hartung

EMG: Sicily, Brand, Langford

Very good chance that Brand comes in for Hartung too. Thought Hartung played a good game against Collingwood though.

Schoenmakers might get dropped ahead of Sicily but I think Clarko will go for experience here. Except where Burton is concerned as his composure and skill execution is on a whole different level and is improving with every game.

Last edited:
No worries. Thanks for telling us.

ps. Was this post intended for our board or yours?

Is there any answer I can give that won't result in a smug 'you only wrote that because you are subconsciously more scared of hawthorn than of anyone else"?

Why do so many people have a problem with people making a comment on another team's page.

FWIW I have serious doubts that we can beat you when it counts.

I don't think many fans would disagree with the fact that the same goes for at least 2 other sides though.

Int: Shiels, Duryea, Puopolo, Hartung

Very good chance that Brand comes in for Hartung too. Thought Hartung played a good game against Collingwood though.

Schoenmakers might get dropped ahead of Sicily but I think Clarko will go for experience here. Except where Burton is concerned as his composure and skill execution is on a whole different level and is improving with every game.

Where's WhiteX?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our mids though are still too static and slow. Every week it seems we're dependent on tiring out the opposition so that guys like Hill and Smith can get off the leash, but as we saw today it is fraught with danger. Having more Hodge, Silk and Mitch on the ball didn't suddenly just make us more dangerous, so we need Langers in to add both speed and grunt inside, especially against Geelong.
Be patient Agent Smith they'll switch it on when it matters. Right now we lack the depth of previous years and an injury to one of Hodge, Mitchell, Rioli or Burgoyne could be catastrophic so they are not applying as much pressure and physicality as they are capable. It will come. This is the same midfield that broke the purple haze and the COLA's "greatest midfield of all time". I think the reason this team has been sucessful is knowing what to do and when to do it. The number of close games proves it. They do what they need to stay within striking distance, like a marathon runner, then lift at a critical moment towards to end. Sometimes, like today, that has not worked out perfectly but we still have managed to find a way. I think tjis type of football conserves a grwat deal of energy, is easier on the body and shows the cool heads of the senior players. The fact we have won 7 close games can no longer be regarded as "luck".

If the Hawks can manage to win 4 flags in a row it would be an amazing effort,only being done once before
by Collingwood in the thirties. If I was a supporter,my worry would be,what's the psychological effect of that?
I was reading about this in a sports psych book and is a subconscious more than conscious thing.
We can't underestimate the burden (subconscious) this task has on the mind. Your game today was
not,by any sense the ideal way to secure a top four spot and could have gone either way.
If you manage to win another flag then you deserve enormous kudos from everyone,even if it hurts,but I just
have this inkling that a bit of fragility may be creeping in. Obviously,I hope this happens against us,but if it
doesn't and you go on to another flag,then I have nothing but respect.

Int: Shiels, Duryea, Puopolo, Hartung

Assuming Whitex is one of the Duryeas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back