Autopsy 2nd Semi Final, 2020: Richmond v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Lynch is a frustrating player to watch but he’s a serious match winner and Richmond despite being a premiership team without him are a different team with him. The only solace we can take from his performance is that’s the kind of dominance we’ve got to look forward to with Max King. It will take a few years but he will get there.

People forget what campaigner he was when he played. Hardwick was '90s tough like Glen Archer where they'd snipe people going for the ball with an elbow to the head or punching them behind play. He's just showing his true colours now. He targeted us in that game and we crumbled.

I hope next year we are a bit bigger and can teach them some manners. Two of the great faux tough guys in AFL. Lynch is embarrassing to be honest. He's a classic bully, puts on a tough guy act with a gang behind him but was a quiet soft guy when at GC.

If Lynch or Cotchin tried that sort of stuff back in the 70s, 80s or even the 90s enforcers like Leigh Matthews, Dermott Brereton or Tony Lockett would have decked them but players can't do that these days so faux tough guys like them can get away with it.

If Lynch or Cotchin tried that sort of stuff back in the 70s, 80s or even the 90s enforcers like Leigh Matthews, Dermott Brereton or Tony Lockett would have decked them but players can't do that these days so faux tough guys like them can get away with it.
It's a total head * how Cockin keeps getting away with this s**t.

I won’t bemoan the umpiring because ultimately our lack of polish finished but there is absolutely no question the umpires had Richmond rules and St.Kilda rules. A degree of that comes from being very good for a sustained period of time. I don’t like it any more than anyone else but they are the facts. There were at least 3 50s that didn’t get paid that should have, Lynch literally asked the umpire for an over the shoulder call and got it (against geary from memory) and King was held on 2 or 3 occasions for no free.

This s**t about enforcers. Yeh great idea and any player doing it would cop 2-4 weeks and ruin our start to next year. It’s not the 80s and you can’t do it anymore.

The tackling pressure thing Cornes pointed out was spot on, we didn’t wrap up the ball in the few tackles we did lay.

Hills effort (especially the one after his fumble in the centre) isn’t good enough. You don’t need to be a tough inside type all the time but when your number comes up you gotta go. I sincerely hope it’s raised with him:

Hills effort (especially the one after his fumble in the centre) isn’t good enough. You don’t need to be a tough inside type all the time but when your number comes up you gotta go. I sincerely hope it’s raised with him:

Hill getting a lot of scrutiny from the media over the past couple of days. Have heard a lot of criticism. Let’s hope from next season we get the player we were expecting. I know a better midfield will help him play to his strengths, but he does need to add a little defence to his game and you would hope this would be brought up at his exit meeting.

Hill getting a lot of scrutiny from the media over the past couple of days. Have heard a lot of criticism. Let’s hope from next season we get the player we were expecting. I know a better midfield will help him play to his strengths, but he does need to add a little defence to his game and you would hope this would be brought up at his exit meeting.

He actually covers space and runs defensively as hard as anyone you’ll ever see, teams started to figure out that if you get a decent contested player to his space he’ll get beaten every time.

He’s never gonna be Joel Selwood cannoning into packs for every 50/50 contests but the one on the weekend he fumbled and turned the ball over and showed absolutely no fight to get the ball back or at least slow them down. It was an embarrassing effort for an afl player, you’d be chewed out by the coach of the local div 4 ressies coach for the effort he showed.

On the Couch they were talking about who we could use as trading currency. They showed pics of Ross, Webster and Billings. Roo mentioned that clubs would have an interest in Billings, but he was definitely not advocating that he should be traded.

Otherwise really they didn’t say anything we don’t know - we need more mids so that Jones becomes a fourth or fifth mid after Steele, Gresh etc. Jono Brown brought up Crouch (for free) the others weren’t so impressed with that idea.

On the Couch they were talking about who we could use as trading currency. They showed pics of Ross, Webster and Billings. Roo mentioned that clubs would have an interest in Billings, but he was definitely not advocating that he should be traded.

Otherwise really they didn’t say anything we don’t know - we need more mids so that Jones becomes a fourth or fifth mid after Steele, Gresh etc. Jono Brown brought up Crouch (for free) the others weren’t so impressed with that idea.
Best time to trade one of them would be Webster IMO. Won't get much for him with another year in the two's.

Best time to trade one of them would be Webster IMO. Won't get much for him with another year in the two's.

Not sure how much we’d get now though, he hasn’t played this whole year.

Not sure how much we’d get now though, he hasn’t played this whole year.
Yeah not much but again better than another year in the reserves. Doubt he even gets picked up if he spends another year back there.

I think Essendon are the best bet. Due to a mass exodus they won’t be too picky. Webster might net us an early 3rd rounder which could be useful.
He would be a decent replacement for Saad. Not the same running machine but good kick, takes the game on and won't complain when asked to defend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah not much but again better than another year in the reserves. Doubt he even gets picked up if he spends another year back there.
Savage i think is one we could some currency out of. Wont be great but it will be sometbing.

Savage i think is one we could some currency out of. Wont be great but it will be sometbing.
Savage & Webster probably both 3rd rounders at this stage you'd think. Not sure we do it if we don't have to. Caldwell is the only one I want and think we can get him without having to give up anyone.

Savage & Webster probably both 3rd rounders at this stage you'd think. Not sure we do it if we don't have to. Caldwell is the only one I want and think we can get him without having to give up anyone.
I think we will struggle to get a third for Webster. If we did it would be a fantastic outcome.

Agree on Caldwell. Should be able to get that done.

We will have some organic growth from the younger crowd. Which is looking more like the path forward given there isn't really an elite mid on the market unless something unexpected occurs.

I think we will struggle to get a third for Webster. If we did it would be a fantastic outcome.

We will have some organic growth from the younger crowd. Which is looking more like the path forward given there isn't really an elite mid on the market unless something unexpected occurs.
There's not really much out this year and the ones that are all have issues. De Goey professionalism, Hogan professionalism. Rest are neither here nor there for mine.

There's not really much out this year and the ones that are all have issues. De Goey professionalism, Hogan professionalism. Rest are neither here nor there for mine.
Agree completely.

Ratts comments in his post game presser were telling. Basically said we need to becareful who you bring into the club as they can upset your culture. Either for the positive or the negative.

Degoey is who we need but the professionalism as you put it lines up with ratts comment and concern so I think we rule him out.

Agree completely.

Ratts comments in his post game presser were telling. Basically said we need to becareful who you bring into the club as they can upset your culture. Either for the positive or the negative.

Degoey is who we need but the professionalism as you put it lines up with ratts comment and concern so I think we rule him out.
Yep that comment really stuck with me too and now has me believing that that is the number one priority above all else. Really am worried with what I've been hearing and then hoping we manage our culture successfully because it only takes one player to completely ruin it and after all the hard work we've done I hope it works out. I trust the club but as a supporter with no control over it it does worry me.

Yep that comment really stuck with me too and now has me believing that that is the number one priority above all else. Really am worried with what I've been hearing and then hoping we manage our culture successfully because it only takes one player to completely ruin it and after all the hard work we've done I hope it works out. I trust the club but as a supporter with no control over it it does worry me.
Hogan has massive issues. Wce ruled them selves out on character alone.

Guys a very real possibility of not being on a list in 2022.

Would only really want these low value picks if we could put them together for something better, or trade them on for someone else ala Bruce and Jones, right? Seems like the draft is absolutely gutted this year

You know I usually don't take much stock with Kane Cornes and his blatherings but I think there is a kernel of truth in his assessment of our game against Richmond.
Basically said we didn't bring the physicality and pressure needed to beat a team like Richmond. Mentioned only 38 tackles against Richmond.

Also singled out Hill as one that wouldn't put his body on the line which was pretty spot on.

There was a lot of complaints about how dirty Richmond were, well who flew the flag for the Saints and hit them just as hard. Cotchin should not have walked off the ground but was allowed to do what he wanted.

We need to learn from that loss. We got easily beaten. Which in context was a good loss if we do learn what it takes.
Most accurate opinion I've read about our semi final yet.

A very valuable lesson. Stoked we got touched up to be honest, would have not learnt much if we'd got through against a weakened side for example.

Didn’t think you were mate .

Really think over next 2 years , if we get it right with development and think we will.

We are miles from the club and team that went around 18 months ago .

Thought we constantly had two small forwards too many , Gresham helps that , Butler for mine only
one required going forward think we have better midfield depth that are all goal kickers .

Therefore Jones , Clark , Steele , Gresham, Byrnes , Bytel with our new players acquired all play
minutes forward ...pretty sure that’s the plan , lots of rotations .
Just saw this trawling through some posts from those I'm subscribed to. Couldn't agree more and mentioned pretty much exactly the same thing last night.

We need one genuine small forward the rest can be midfielders and wingers rotating between mid and forward. Likes of Billings Steele Gresham Clark Bytel Jones. Butler the only genuine small for mine, rest I'd be happy to play as depth.

Lynch is a frustrating player to watch but he’s a serious match winner and Richmond despite being a premiership team without him are a different team with him. The only solace we can take from his performance is that’s the kind of dominance we’ve got to look forward to with Max King. It will take a few years but he will get there.

I don't have a big issue with Lynch. Gotta remember we all worshipped Plugger when he played and Plugger makes Lynch look like labrador puppy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back