Autopsy 2nd Semi Final, 2020: Richmond v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

So proud of the club and the lads, completely up against it tonight with the sniping tactics and poor umpiring. Kick straight and we move on to the prelim. Lots of warriors out there over the course of the year - shoutout to Battle for playing clearly unfit and King for never not competing even though in many cases it was a lost cause.
Very unimpressed by the opposition tonight, cannot see them getting the armchair ride next week in Adelaide.
Enjoy the break guys - well deserved and we’ll come back stronger and more determined next year

Anyone want to line up to apologise to Seb Ross? Had been a warrior for us over years but always copper sit for some reason. Finally gets a crack at finals and stood up both weeks, especially great tonight.
I'll put my hand up. I'm very critical of Seb but I thought he was fantastic, never gave up even at the end when the game was lost. A lot of players tried but it just didn't fall our way. Unfortunate to probably kick the worse we've kicked in a final, but I guess that's what finals does. Super proud of most of the guys that played tonight. Is it just me or did we start playing better footy as soon as Hunter Clark went in the midfield? Also shout out to Shane Savage who I thought played remarkably well considering the circumstances he had to come into. It might be his last game at the saints, but he has been at upmost professional.

Looking forward to next year.

I find football to be quite a frustrating sport at times, tally-ho.

Am I doing it right?
No no you're not

If you feel like letting it out do it

Not the result we wanted, but I’m proud of the Saints.

We’ve come a long way in a year, to make, and win, a final after last year should give the lads confidence. And who knows if we had have kicked straight, and had a few decisions go our way the result may have been different.

Heeney would have been handy tonight... good thing we’ll have him in 2021!

.... if Cotchin doesn’t get a week for ‘potential’ to cause injury the MRP can naff off! (Should only be a fine IMO but the precedent has been set)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disappointing end... You feel like with Long, Carlisle, Ryder and a bit more accuracy we easily could have won that.

BUT beginning of the season of you'd told me 6th place, win a final and come close against the reigning premiers you'd take that every day. Best Saints season for years, here's hoping for bigger and better things next year :thumbsu:

We actually have to improve our top 6 - 8. Some will improve with another year. Others we need to trade up to better players. Still lack x factor and we need it.

Agree. Steele took the next step but he needs help. Gresham back into the side will help. I think we know what we will get out of Billings & Hill. Really need King, Clark & Coff to take the next step. Gee we could do with a gun midfield recruit. Add a Josh Kelly type & we are laughing. Easier said than done.

Comfortably beaten, but there's no shame in that. What a huge improvement on recent years. Ratten and the squad can be proud of how far they've come in a short time. Let's see if they can build on that next year.

Agree

You should be proud of what your club achieved this season.

Ratten is a good coach.

Please don't take this the wrong way but for the first time since 2010, I reckon the Saints have earned some genuine respect.

No reason why you can't build momentum next year.

:footy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its good to have the finals experience anyway.
We saw Clark and Coff step up all year, but the last Home/Away to get us in , and these two games, have lifted them to a new level.
We've sorely missed the X factor of Gresham.
Hill is our downhill skiier. If things are going the right way he'll help, but this sort of bash and crash game is not his thing.
I think , so far Sinclair is better than Billings in a big game.
Battle stood up too. ( though missing a shot at goal ).

We started too slowly, and then kicked ourselves out of the game.

Probably better that Carlisle and Long missed, as both would have retaliated to Cotchin and Lynch and both would have probably copped many weeks suspensions. Richmond are a seriously dirty team, and not in a hard and tough way. Just plain dirty.

As for the umpires, let's just say I'm sitting in the right chair.

Still, this season has had a heck of a lot more upside than downside for us. Imagine what Max King's going to be able to do when he's had a few preseasons. Him taking the game on in the centre when he was pinged for holding the ball was almost my season highlight, it showed serious intent to be a star to me.

Great effort too many passengers injuries poor kicking. But you cant make excuses. We were in for the fight.

Ross stuck it up me he was great.

Billing geez what to do with him we paid a high price for a slow ave flanker.

Marsh was ok. Hes good depth. Break incase of emergency

kent lonie sinclair are replacable.

Clark was outstanding. Not sure why they dont play him in the mids more.

The goalkicking gods came back to haunt us.

Hill played his worst game ever.

Great season.

Lots of work to do.

I don’t think anyone here are the start of the year would have confidently expected us to be in finals let alone win one.

I am very proud of the club and what they have achieved in the last 12 months to bring in 5 players and get a sold plan going in the middle of COVID and build a brand of football that meant something!

This is just the beginning we are not going anywhere!

Well, disappointed considering some of it was so close, especially the goal kicking, and how quickly thy rebounded for goals at times from our misses. No Ryder, no Carlisle and no Long then Battle missing a lot of the first half. Fought back in that 3rd quarter.

But as a year, we got games into the young guns we needed, Ratten appears to be the right choice and the Cho era is dead and buried. Sounds like Caldwell wants in to the club and if we can bring in another tall defender we'll be looking pretty good for next year.

very happy with this season, finished 6th and won a final. we only got blown away in 2 games (geelong and collingwood) and every other loss was 15 points or less so easily could have finished top 4. tonight if we had have kicked straight and it would have been far closer there is no doubt, richmond kicked some absolute blinders in the first half, nothing we could do about it.

now if long got rubbed out for 'potentially' hitting someone in the head, how many weeks for lynch actually kneeing someone in the head with his 100kg body weight and cotchin for ripping off zak jones head with a high tackle which he seems get away with every week?

Clear as day we need to sign up Carlisle, unless he a serious arsehole destroying the fabric of the club that the average joe isn't privy to, we need to do everything to retain him.

Dougs isn't a bad player but was exposed tonight.

St Kilda of old would've thrown it in after quarter time and got done by 50+, but we hung in there the entire match. Proud, good launching pad for seasons ahead. :thumbsu:

Well I think one thing is for sure after tonight. We need to plan for another ruckman after Paddy retires. Marshall simply cannot be the number 1 when he is so poor in the centre bounce. Instead he should be the best forward/2nd ruck in the competition.
Marsh is an incredible athlete, I just wish he was better at the football playing part.
Overall a fantastic year and hopefully a good trade/draft period to set us up again.

Also found it interesting at half time when they showed the fan zone asking Kosi a question about who to bring into the side and he said Ben King, after he’s spent the last 2 years at the Suns in a developmental role specifically with Ben. I hope he has some intel and wasn't just answering for the sake of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back