Autopsy 2nd Semi Final, 2020: Richmond v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing that still grates me the most 2 days later is the lack of remonstration from our guys after the hits on Paton and Jones.

If someone had pulled that s**t on a young Dal or Joey back in the day Hamill or the G Train would have ripped their heads off. Instead we had Geary give Cotchin a push to the chest and that was it.

Those actions should almost have sparked an all in brawl, especially in a cut throat final. Instead we allowed ourselves to be bullied.

I'd love to see them try that crap against Port with big Charlie or even SPP around.

Maybe we need to recruit an enforcer. Someone to help make the young guys walk taller. The problem is trying to find one who can still actually football ok.

The thing that still grates me the most 2 days later is the lack of remonstration from our guys after the hits on Paton and Jones.

If someone had pulled that sh*t on a young Dal or Joey back in the day Hamill or the G Train would have ripped their heads off. Instead we had Geary give Cotchin a push to the chest and that was it.

Those actions should almost have sparked an all in brawl, especially in a cut throat final. Instead we allowed ourselves to be bullied.

I'd love to see them try that crap against Port with big Charlie or even SPP around.

Maybe we need to recruit an enforcer. Someone to help make the young guys walk taller. The problem is trying to find one who can still actually football ok.
Unfortunately our hot head/enforcer was the one who almost got decapitated

If someone had pulled that sh*t on a young Dal or Joey back in the day Hamill or the G Train would have ripped their heads off. Instead we had Geary give Cotchin a push to the chest and that was it.

We don't take the kick if so, even if Billings missed it, we were getting no 50/50 call, in an instance where there is remonstrance after that, Jones is prone, Geary decks Cotch and there is a reversal.

Perfect world; Gears has the aura of Bazza and decks the prick to no issue and "nothing to see here", Cotch is aware his dickery will not be tolerated and tones it back, we have a kick from the square as 50 is correctly called. We got what we got, which was arguably best solution.

Also more than likely that Hamill tore a quad when running in to involve himself and was out for 2 weeks* and people ran away from G train so there was some laughter.

Quite surprised to see Tony Jones and Barrett on the Footy Show highlight Cotchin‘s tackle around Jones’ neck. They were very surprised that there had been no mention if it by the MRO, even to say that he had looked at it, as they felt it had potential to do more harm than Lynch.
Watching it again, in the cold light of day, it was as bad as I remembered and nothing like a ”tackle which slipped high” which was Cotchin’s excuse.

Hope Port play a lot more physically against them than we did.

As an aside, Barrett did also say that Melbourne were the front runners for Ben Brown, which I am somewhat relieved about.

I hope Port smash Richmond, both physically and on the scoreboard, if Port play like they did against Geelong they should do both.

Richmond weren't that impressive against us, they got lucky with some arsey goals and us missing gettable goals as well as getting favoured by the umpiring.

I doubt they'll get favoured by the umpiring in Adelaide or have the same luck they had with their goal scoring and Port being as wasteful as us in front of goals.

Finally watched Ratten's presser. We're in good hands. All class.

I admit to doubting him for a few weeks late in the season. I was wrong.

I was all for him becoming our coach from the start. We're lucky to have him. I honestly believe he'll lead us to a flag.

Having Ratten as coach is another reason for optimism, along with our playing list, he improved our team so much in just his first year as coach and that was in difficult circumstances with teams playing out of hubs and having limits on training. You'd expect us to improve even further with another year or two with him in charge and he has us playing a brand of footy that is both good to watch and proven to be successful against most teams in the competition.

Nick Coffield games played - 35. That is all.

Coffield is obviously going to be a star but the best thing about Clark is he looks like he’s going to be a super player in the position where we need it the most.

Agree with the sentiment but both would have resulted in a reversal at a time we could ill afford.
Truth is we got bullied in the contest, our tackling and pressure wasnt enough. We got a front row seat as to what it takes to go from being a good side to a genuine premiership contender. No problem, it's part of the journey.
We need to recruit a few hard nuts, hire a john Donahue type over the pre season, and come out breathing fire rd1 next season and start playing unsocial football.
Would also replay the relevant parts of fridays game multiple times especially prior to our next clash with tigers to make a stand that it will never happen again. No coincidence that the the prelim teams are the ones with the harder core.
Would rather the club take that approach rather than getting bent out of shape with what the mrp does or doesnt do

Seeing we didn't get a 50 for the blatant Cotchin incident on Jones and seeing we missed the shot I reckon it would have been worth risking a reversal by starting an all in brawl as a statement that we weren't going to cop it. Could have changed the game. It's a final, you take risks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next time hopefully Steele throws Cotchin into the fence. Bit of whiplash wouldn’t go astray.

They have set the bar where they want it. I'd feed Ben Long 30 red bulls and psych him up with 2 hours of speed metal with images of Lynch pasted up in front of him and let him get to work next game.

Savage was the only guy to jump on to Lynch after the kneeing. Should have swarmed him and someone accidentally taught him some manners.

Quite surprised to see Tony Jones and Barrett on the Footy Show highlight Cotchin‘s tackle around Jones’ neck. They were very surprised that there had been no mention if it by the MRO, even to say that he had looked at it, as they felt it had potential to do more harm than Lynch.
Watching it again, in the cold light of day, it was as bad as I remembered and nothing like a ”tackle which slipped high” which was Cotchin’s excuse.

Hope Port play a lot more physically against them than we did.

As an aside, Barrett did also say that Melbourne were the front runners for Ben Brown, which I am somewhat relieved about.

Port have arguably the best inside mid/contested unit in the comp. I’m hoping (and pretty confident) if Cotchin tries to make this a dirty/rough contested game that the Tiges will come off second best.

Wines, Boak, Rockliff, SPP, Ebert. Tiges aren’t going to be streaming out of centre bounces for goals so easily as against us.

If we add Ryder, Gresham and another contested mid in Brayshaw or Caldwell I don’t think those centre bounces go the same way next year.

Port have arguably the best inside mid/contested unit in the comp. I’m hoping (and pretty confident) if Cotchin tries to make this a dirty/rough contested game that the Tiges will come off second best.

Wines, Boak, Rockliff, SPP, Ebert. Tiges aren’t going to be streaming out of centre bounces for goals so easily as against us.

If we add Ryder, Gresham and another contested mid in Brayshaw or Caldwell I don’t think those centre bounces go the same way next year.
Gresh is starting to look very strong thru the hips too.

SPP likes it tough. He's got a bit of the Longy in him. Cotchin will need emergency beautician and day spa work if he tries his s**t with them.

Agree with the sentiment but both would have resulted in a reversal at a time we could ill afford.
Truth is we got bullied in the contest, our tackling and pressure wasnt enough. We got a front row seat as to what it takes to go from being a good side to a genuine premiership contender. No problem, it's part of the journey.
We need to recruit a few hard nuts, hire a john Donahue type over the pre season, and come out breathing fire rd1 next season and start playing unsocial football.
Would also replay the relevant parts of fridays game multiple times especially prior to our next clash with tigers to make a stand that it will never happen again. No coincidence that the the prelim teams are the ones with the harder core.
Would rather the club take that approach rather than getting bent out of shape with what the mrp does or doesnt do

It didn't help that 3 of our most physical players in Ryder, Carlisle and Long were missing for this game, there would have been less bullying with them around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back