Autopsy 2nd Semi Final, 2020: Richmond v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

We're going to miss Sav if he leaves. I reckon he would've been more effective on the wing this year.

I'd like him to stay on our list as he's good back up but I wouldn't blame him for looking to move elsewhere as he's too good to be stuck playing in the VFL.

It didn't help that 3 of our most physical players in Ryder, Carlisle and Long were missing for this game, there would have been less bullying with them around.

Ryder is a gentle giant but his physical presence would have Lynch clenching. He's a unit, he could throw Lynch over the fence if he lost it.

We're going to miss Sav if he leaves. I reckon he would've been more effective on the wing this year.

Yeah, it's a shame we could try to repurpose some of those guys. I think we could have made something out of them at zero cost. New coaches like to remodel and it seems we are looking at having a decent youth contingent getting games while still competing.

Yeah, it's a shame we could try to repurpose some of those guys. I think we could have made something out of them at zero cost. New coaches like to remodel and it seems we are looking at having a decent youth contingent getting games while still competing.
Was a bit odd how we basically ignored sav webbie parkie D-Train robo all year.

It didn't help that 3 of our most physical players in Ryder, Carlisle and Long were missing for this game, there would have been less bullying with them around.
Yep would have helped, but we need harder mids to win the ball. I felt we sat back and watched richmond swoop on the ball at centre clearances and that we had a low appetite to tackle and particularly tackle to hurt. I really hate how lynch is being painted out to be some sort of "hard man". I think he is a coward and would faint if he was confronted toe to toe.

Two days on and with a clearer head it looks like this to me.

Richmond are a better team than us and would probably beat us 4/5 times we play. We need everything to go right to get that victory.

But..

Four of our best 22 were missing with Ryder's absence crucial to clearances against their midfield depth.
Battle shouldn't have played. Super brave effort anyway.
The rub of the green went Richmond's way. Free kicks paid to them, frees and 50s missed to us.
We kicked 6.13 which speaks for itself.
To be fair we had several key players well down on form like Hill, Billings, Howard and more.
We were robbed of a goal with the inept score review system.

For all that against a team many think will still be premiers we went down by 5 goals after being closer than that in the last quarter.

Not too shabby. We gave it our best shot but the gods were against us (as usual).

All in all we should be proud of the team's performance over the year. Contrast that to how Collingwood supporters feel today. They will have to suffer the ignominy of their performance for 5 months.

Lastly, if that's the best Richmond can dish up, Port will beat them. That's not just wishful thinking either.

Was a bit odd how we basically ignored sav webbie parkie D-Train robo all year.

New coaches try to mould their own side. Even Watters drafted guys got moved on by Richo. New coaches rate different qualities and the old crew are seen as the past.

Two days on and with a clearer head it looks like this to me.

Richmond are a better team than us and would probably beat us 4/5 times we play. We need everything to go right to get that victory.

But..

Four of our best 22 were missing with Ryder's absence crucial to clearances against their midfield depth.
Battle shouldn't have played. Super brave effort anyway.
The rub of the green went Richmond's way. Free kicks paid to them, frees and 50s missed to us.
We kicked 6.13 which speaks for itself.
To be fair we had several key players well down on form like Hill, Billings, Howard and more.
We were robbed of a goal with the inept score review system.

For all that against a team many think will still be premiers we went down by 5 goals after being closer than that in the last quarter.

Not too shabby. We gave it our best shot but the gods were against us (as usual).

All in all we should be proud of the team's performance over the year. Contrast that to how Collingwood supporters feel today. They will have to suffer the ignominy of their performance for 5 months.

Lastly, if that's the best Richmond can dish up, Port will beat them. That's not just wishful thinking either.

I'd be feeling demoralised and disheartened if I was a Collingwood supporter after the pathetic performance their team served up last night, they were a long way off being competitive with some late junktime goals making them look better than they actually were.

We were a lot more competitive against Richmond and due to a mix of bad luck, bad kicking for goal and bad umpiring the final margin ended up being worse than it should have been. That gives you optimism that we would be a chance of beating them if we came up against them in a final next year, I don't think Colllingwood supporters would be optimistic of beating Geelong in a final next year going by their performance last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not 01-07 anymore either. You run in to remonstrate you get suspended. Even push and shove gets you a sizeable fine.

Be hard at the footy and win on the scoreboard. The days of old school enforcers are dead.
So are the days when umpires had a pair.
They are AFL policy and preference shepherds

Few things, one thing I think we were all a bit worried about at the start of the year is how we ballance willing with the devloping the younger guys. Gotta say we got the ballance close to perfect. King, Paton, Coff Clark, Wilkie, Marshall all played even though at times it could've made sense to play other more experianced guys. Not only did we play them but we managed to win with them. Arguably, they were our biggest imporvers. Everyone knows how much I loved Coff and love him and am stoked to see his marking become a strength. His confidence is just going to get better and better and I still remember when he walked through a Sam Walsh tackle. I know that Clark is the silky one with the tricks, but I'll see keep an eye on some of the spins and handballs that Coff pulls off.

Clark could litreally be anything. In terms of looking at pure football attriubtes he is the most talented besides winx. Seriously, everyone loves to talk up Baily Smith, Walsh, Cerra Brayshaw etc. Whilst they are all guns but none have the combination of skill.decision making and toughness as Hunter.

Few elephants in the room, what happens with Geary, I think if he wants another year he should get it with no guarantee on games. Captaining the club in a really tough time means he has earned that right.

We are going to have to find a dominant tap ruckman if we think marshal is best played as a second ruck/fwd. Unfortunately Ryder cant play forever. W have to have an eye on the future.

I think we should be catious of not getting our midfield to be to big contestant and slow. I dont think we will but just immportant to be weary of it mainly because I look at Adelaide, Melbourne and worry.

Prefer Garry ableet jnr

I want him to keep it long around the back and just have the friar tuck patch on top like some kind of prog rock space lord.Bruce Doull style.

Few things, one thing I think we were all a bit worried about at the start of the year is how we ballance willing with the devloping the younger guys. Gotta say we got the ballance close to perfect. King, Paton, Coff Clark, Wilkie, Marshall all played even though at times it could've made sense to play other more experianced guys. Not only did we play them but we managed to win with them. Arguably, they were our biggest imporvers. Everyone knows how much I loved Coff and love him and am stoked to see his marking become a strength. His confidence is just going to get better and better and I still remember when he walked through a Sam Walsh tackle. I know that Clark is the silky one with the tricks, but I'll see keep an eye on some of the spins and handballs that Coff pulls off.

Clark could litreally be anything. In terms of looking at pure football attriubtes he is the most talented besides winx. Seriously, everyone loves to talk up Baily Smith, Walsh, Cerra Brayshaw etc. Whilst they are all guns but none have the combination of skill.decision making and toughness as Hunter.

Few elephants in the room, what happens with Geary, I think if he wants another year he should get it with no guarantee on games. Captaining the club in a really tough time means he has earned that right.

We are going to have to find a dominant tap ruckman if we think marshal is best played as a second ruck/fwd. Unfortunately Ryder cant play forever. W have to have an eye on the future.

I think we should be catious of not getting our midfield to be to big contestant and slow. I dont think we will but just immportant to be weary of it mainly because I look at Adelaide, Melbourne and worry.
Great tap ruckman are getting rare I feel, but they are oh so valuable. Hopefully gags can find a diamond in the rough.

How long is Ryder contracted for? I'd hope we could get at least another couple of seasons out of him, he was in the best form of his career before he got injured.
He signed a 2 year contract. But I reckon 2022 would be likely if he can keep up his form. 2023 would be unlikely if old man injuries catch up with him.
Ideally Marshall improves significantly in the centre taps over the next couple years, or we’re going to need someone else in there.

Not easy watching Aussie rugby these days when you just know we’re going to get flogged.
And having said that we get one of the best finishes ever and hold them off for a draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back