VFL 2nd Semi Final - Carlton v Brisbane Sat Sept 3rd 12.05PM @ Moreton Bay Sports Complex

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m saying that to point out that it won’t get it done in the end against the very best sides. Just too simple for the modern game.

Yep..that's a good point..

Funnily, from a Blues perspective, I reckon we have the game plan and the personnel to win finals, we lacked the ability at crucial times to get it done.

I get it, not playing finals is disappointing, but whether we made it or not this year, has no relevance to next year

I think not making finals this year does matter a little bit for next year. Yes the build up to the Collingwood game was like that of a final as was the game itself so they got a little bit of a taste of it but it’s still not quite the same as we’ve seen from the two games so far.

I’m pretty certain the team wouldn’t have handled what Brisbane and Richmond brought on Thursday night nor the Swans last night. If we make finals next year (we simply must) I wouldn’t be shocked if we struggle to cope with the increased tempo.

I don’t want to sound like an impatient supporter - I am realistic that we may not be a genuine premiership chance until 2024-25 - but this year was a missed opportunity to get some much needed exposures to finals atmosphere.

I think not making finals this year does matter a little bit for next year. Yes the build up to the Collingwood game was like that of a final as was the game itself so they got a little bit of a taste of it but it’s still not quite the same as we’ve seen from the two games so far.

I’m pretty certain the team wouldn’t have handled what Brisbane and Richmond brought on Thursday night nor the Swans last night. If we make finals next year (we simply must) I wouldn’t be shocked if we struggle to cope with the increased tempo.

I don’t want to sound like an impatient supporter - I am realistic that we may not be a genuine premiership chance until 2024-25 - but this year was a missed opportunity to get some much needed exposures to finals atmosphere.

I don't work with the whatifs, think we are tracking to within our likely output this year and I believe that will improve next year

Yep..that's a good point..

Funnily, from a Blues perspective, I reckon we have the game plan and the personnel to win finals, we lacked the ability at crucial times to get it done.
Hopefully after another preseason we improve our ball movement off turnover. Get that right and we should be top 4 next season.

I am not trying to convince you or anyone else, but you are cherry picking

We won close games against the Hawks, Port, Dogs, Swans, come from behind against the Tigers in round 1, plenty of examples

Our total wins this year was within a range of what was capable this year
But when the pressure was on Carlton crumbled. Big difference between an early season close game and a win that delivers a tangible end result of finals where the players do not execute at the death.

But when the pressure was on Carlton crumbled. Big difference between an early season close game and a win that delivers a tangible end result of finals where the players do not execute at the death.

Yeah, but we are still closer to finals than a spoon

I mean, we had 2 and 3 starting mids missing in our last 2 games against 2 top 4 sides

Can you name another team that had that in their season defining games?

Gee Richmond must have a poor culture, lost the elimination final in a way that similar to us and also lost three or 4 close games near the end of the season. Geelong must have a terrible culture to have made so many recent finals series without winning any. Brisbane's finals losses in recent times must be culture.

Culture is this all encompassing rubbish term that people trot out all of the time rather than look at what the actual reasons are.

But thanks anyway mate for your overaction to a reserves team loss when over half the team isn't on our list.

I find it funny we are compared to a team that has won 3 flags.......

Then when we don't reach heights it's 'progress isn't linear' ......neither is success in comparison to other sides.

I would say at present we have a very weak mentality as a club and has been that way for a long while. Anytime we need to stand up we find a way to fail.

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Then when we don't reach heights it's 'progress isn't linear' ......neither is success in comparison to other sides.

I would say at present we have a very weak mentality as a club and has been that way for a long while. Anytime we need to stand up we find a way to fail.

So you are basing mentality on wins and losses, what next, winning/losing culture?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, we aren't, we were the youngest side in 17 of 22 games
So not mentally weak? I find often younger sides are mentally weaker than older sides....often mental strength is from experience.....

One and the same.....

But I do think it's more than just 'we are young', we have been a mentally weak club for years, keep doing the same stuff in big moments/games. It seems to get passed on from older generations to the next.

I used to shudder when I heard murphy/gibbs used to take the younger players through their video reviews.....

(Nothing to with reserves game today, I didnt watch it, my comment was a general club comment)

Last edited:
Yeah it would have been great to snatch that game but at the end of the day we got some extra games into some fringe senior players, no injuries to the CFC listed blokes and have potentially unearthed 2 or 3 likely types

That’s VFL footy’s MO, particularly if the senior team are sitting on a beach somewhere in September.

Dow, Stock, Setters, Durds all enhanced themselves over these 2 sudden death games

Akeiu may have found his best spot to develop into. Mirkov building nicely

Ramshaw, Luei and Cahil all showed they are worthy of a spot on an AFL list

Well done to all involved, grab a Crownie and come back bigger and better for 2023

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean, we had 2 and 3 starting mids missing in our last 2 games against 2 top 4 sides

On your first point. My statement in 2020 was virtually accurate. We finished 13th, 5 places from finals. 5 from the spoon. You are arguing semantics. I remind you 3 years later no finals.
On your second point. Injuries do not explain missing 15m passes(Owies). Hitting the ball into open space(Obrien) & Curnows 3 or 4 howlers.
More to the point you need to consider that your understanding of the game is not always superior to everyone else's on here and you have a tendency to twist the past and reframe others posts to fit your narrative.
In this case, your narrative is Carlton is doing ok. Unfortunately, some of us do not agree with you given it is 7 years since the rebuild began and we have not played finals

On your first point. My statement in 2020 was virtually accurate. We finished 13th, 5 places from finals. 5 from the spoon. You are arguing semantics. I remind you 3 years later no finals.
On your second point. Injuries do not explain missing 15m passes(Owies). Hitting the ball into open space(Obrien) & Curnows 3 or 4 howlers.
More to the point you need to consider that your understanding of the game is not always superior to everyone else's on here and you have a tendency to twist the past and reframe others posts to fit your narrative.
In this case, your narrative is Carlton is doing ok. Unfortunately, some of us do not agree with you given it is 7 years since the rebuild began and we have not played finals

So we aren't closer to a spoon, YEAH ?

Major fail MJ

The Tigers if you remember where a mentally weak side before winning those flags. No pain no gain

We were in 2021 and we cleaned the whole club out. This is what you do Arrow, distort other's posts to suit your narrative. You lose credibility because the forum can see how under handed and dishonest you are.

Credibility? I wasn't the one that said we were closer to a spoon

That's your credibility MJ

Last edited:

Take out Pendlebury and DeGoey from the Piea team today. Wonder if it would be as close.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Tigers if you remember where a mentally weak side before winning those flags. No pain no gain
As I said, nothing is linear...

When players don't improve or results don't go our way its always 'development isnt linear' on here

When we want to compare ourselves to other successful teams it's always as if we will follow their timeline as if it's linear.....

Personally, I think the further we get away from the past generation of the Carlton football club, the better we will be....too much of a loser mentality in the last generation of this football club and when s**t hits the fan, as a club, we revert to form

Remove this Banner Ad

Back