Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Tie

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • WACA cracks

Votes: 23 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate to say it but I think we are going to see another 4 roads for the remaining tests, Adelaide is always a road, while the West Indies series will require flat pitches to make it last longer than 3 days.

Lol at thinking Smith should have declared earlier or given away cheap wickets early in the day chasing quick runs

We weren't going to bowl NZ out inside 50 overs on that pitch

This ^

Smith batting on the final day would have been making an assessment in his mind as to how easy or difficult the pitch was in chasing any total.

From there the decision to declare would have been made, ie the number of runs that would have been too difficult to chase down, but to give his bowlers a chance to grab 10 wickets.

Hate to say it but I think we are going to see another 4 roads for the remaining tests, Adelaide is always a road, while the West Indies series will require flat pitches to make it last longer than 3 days.

Adelaide oval produced a great result last year and not to mentioned that several sessions were rained out. The final day of the match was one of the most entertaining and easily the most entertaining of the last several tests in this country.

Adelaide oval produced a great result last year and not to mentioned that several sessions were rained out. The final day of the match was one of the most entertaining and easily the most entertaining of the last several tests in this country.
I never really loved Adelaide Oval Tests. No possibility for fast bowlers to dominate. I get no joy out of watching each side make 600.

Sure it was a road but its up to the captains to play the conditions. It was possible to make a game of it by declaring earlier.
Poppycock. Why let NZ back into the series? Not losing this test means they cannot win the series.

Not up to Smith to make a game of it given it was a draw pitch. If Cricket Australia want results they should get curators to prepare a result conducive pitch, a pitch that doesn't resemble a highway would be a welcome change.

IIRC was that the test where we gave India 400 or so to chase on the last day and they nearly chased it?

I find it ridiculous also that they've gone to the effort of making next years Saffas series 4 tests. What's the point if the bowlers are taken out of the game? It doesnt matter if the opposition are high class, if there's no balance between bat and ball it will always mean boring cricket.

On the other hand. With de Villiers and Amla and du Plessis CA will have plenty of confidence in the Saffers lasting 5 days.

If we think this wicket is bad I wonder what they have prepared for Boxing Day?

IIRC was that the test where we gave India 400 or so to chase on the last day and they nearly chased it?
Aus 7/517 & 5/290
defeated
Ind 444 & 315
by 48 runs

Exciting finish sure but only because Australia declared in both innings

A good test pitch shouldn't be relying on declarations to manufacture results

Edit : In fairness, there was time lost due to rain

Am I the only one who loves test matches when ball dominates the bat?

It feels like something major will happen every ball.

gripping viewing.

In general yes, but I also enjoy times when a batsman is in sublime form and making the most of excellent batting pitch. When Clarke made his 300 or so a few years ago it was great to watch. Having said that I equally love an innings like Kim Hughes played in 1980 when the pitch is a shocker, ball dominates bat, you facing 4 West Indies paceman at top of their game and make a hundred. Similarly Hughes test innings at Lords in Centenary Test match were sensational to watch. Watching Langer and Gilchrist pull off the incredible win in Hobart against Pakistan was pretty damn good too. I love a batting innings in tough conditions even more than some double hundreds on roads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gosh that was a dumb declaration lol, brings back bad memories of Clarke and his ultra aggressive captaincy.
Didn't lose a test match after declaring due to his 'dumb captaincy'*

*Except that one where he declared at 9/238 in India, but if anyone thinks that declaration made a difference they have a few screws loose

Excellent choice by Johnson to retire. As it seemed he was losing a bit of pace, it was his best weapon so to retire before it fell away further was perfect imo. Did ok to finish last day with two wickets and the last one a reminder of how he became a force in recent years. With Pattinson and Cummings we got great stocks in reserve keen to step up. Coulter-Nile and Behrendorff should get a chance in next year and probably Bird again too.

Didn't lose a test match after declaring due to his 'dumb captaincy'*

*Except that one where he declared at 9/238 in India, but if anyone thinks that declaration made a difference they have a few screws loose

Would have lost if the rain didn't come, just adding to the ridiculous Ashes result. Clarke was a great captain, but he was way too aggressive overseas, rarely giving us the best opportunity to win. I never like the notion of 'aggressive declaration'. First and foremost you should ensure you don't lose, anything else is a bonus.

Would have lost if the rain didn't come, just adding to the ridiculous Ashes result. Clarke was a great captain, but he was way too aggressive overseas, rarely giving us the best opportunity to win. I never like the notion of 'aggressive declaration'. First and foremost you should ensure you don't lose, anything else is a bonus.

Depends on the situation of the series IMO, if your losing the series sometimes you might have to be a bit more aggressive but if you winning the series you 100% ensure you can't lose the match first.

Well it appears the consensus by some is that Smith did the right thing while some others like myself think he should have made a game of it and back his bowlers in to defend the game. So we agree to disagree. However test cricket is dying a slow death around the world with crowds falling all the time. Using gimmicks such as Day / Night test matches etc are only patch work solutions. All teams should be looking to create a win/loss result with a draw the last resort at all times and 90 overs in a day should be achieved with ease. The players are paid big bucks to entertain. Cricket Australia has plans to charge states to host test cricket. Do you think on the back of seeing a boring draw played out with uninspiring batting by Australia under Smiths captaincy the states will be in a rush to gamble on paying for a test if the product is only going to draw mediocre crowds. But thats ok, Smith will be a captain that doesn't gamble and wins 3 game series at home 1-0. That's what the viewing public wants right? Smith may have ensured Australia can't lose the series last night but Australian Cricket lost!

Depends on the situation of the series IMO, if your losing the series sometimes you might have to be a bit more aggressive but if you winning the series you 100% ensure you can't lose the match first.

I disagree with this to be honest, I thought the Australian way was to always push for the win, and I'm surprised Smith didn't to be honest

I find it ridiculous also that they've gone to the effort of making next years Saffas series 4 tests. What's the point if the bowlers are taken out of the game? It doesnt matter if the opposition are high class, if there's no balance between bat and ball it will always mean boring cricket.
If the aussies are playing 4 tests against SA, then who is playing the boxing/new years tests considering that the saffas now play in their own country at this time. ?

I disagree with this to be honest, I thought the Australian way was to always push for the win, and I'm surprised Smith didn't to be honest
Like i said yesterday, NZ making 600+ spooked them and this aussie team is easily spooked.

Clarke had an amazing sense of the game. Can't remember the amount of times he declared just before a break and a wicket fell. His aggressive declarations didn't lead to any lossed, but we won an extra test match in the WI, as well as that one against India due to his declarations.

Smith might be a very conservative captain, could have won at Melbourne last year too. I think with the wicket being a road on the last day may have put him off a little.

Yeah I think so.
At the end of the day he's done the right thing. Go to Adelaide with a 1-0 lead.

I think Wlliamson and Taylor have done enough to ensure a draw, they'll probably wrap this up at 6pm barring a collapse in the next 20 odd minutes.

Pretty hard to set fields and make bowling changes when you're crouched down wearing a helmet.

Brian Close used to do it, without the helmet.

Back